I saw Halloween decorations up last Monday | Golden Skate

I saw Halloween decorations up last Monday

Johar

Medalist
Aaagh! I was taking a walk last Monday and saw several houses with pumpkins, scarecrows, ghosts and cobwebs adorning the yards and porches. Isn't that a bit early? It was only Sep. 13.

And it's not unheard of around here to have people put Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It's the inbetween seasons that are difficult to decorate for. As soon as Labor Day Weekend is over in my mind it is time for Autumn decorations. I try to stick with replacing my Summer annuals with pansies and mums in oranges and purples until October 1rst. THEN it's time for the Halloween stuff. I don't care for scarecrows at all any time. Our town had our Fall Festival this past weekend so there are lots of scarecrows, foddershocks, and pumpkins all around. This is my favorite time of year. Bright blue skies, warm days, cool nights, football and sweater weather. Tthere is nothing better. Add to that the anticipation of the upcoming holidays and the new skating season.....life is good! :) :) :)

Christmas decorations went up last week at two major department store chains here. If you didn't get your halloween stuff already, you're out of luck!

Piel, you live in the most beautiful part of the country in the fall. My aunt and uncle used to live in Western Pennsylvania, and we would go to visit them just to see the autumn leaves.

Mathman

Johar

Medalist
I have an older, single friend who says Halloween through Valentine's Day depress him because of all the stuff that is more fun if you are in a relationship. Poor guy.

I used to really like Sep. and October until really bad things started happening in those two months--job firing, realtionship breakup(his mom bawled me out over the phone :eek: ) public humiliation that resulted in me being asked to leave a place, bad nerve damage to my leg muscle which put me on crutches for 2 months, death of a classmate.

This fall please pray for me to not have anything really bad happen!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It is beautiful here. We start getting leaf change around the first of October. I live near the Kanawha river in a valley. When the leaves get to full color the hills appear to be on fire. Which ever way you turn you are surrounded by all of this intense color that is reflected in the river, just gorgeous.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah... our neighbors have their stuff up too... I can understand getting the candy, decorations, and costumes up early... but as for putting them up so soon??? 2 months is too long for Hallowe'en!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Johar said:
I have an older, single friend who says Halloween through Valentine's Day depress him because of all the stuff that is more fun if you are in a relationship. Poor guy.

I used to really like Sep. and October until really bad things started happening in those two months--job firing, realtionship breakup(his mom bawled me out over the phone :eek: ) public humiliation that resulted in me being asked to leave a place, bad nerve damage to my leg muscle which put me on crutches for 2 months, death of a classmate.

This fall please pray for me to not have anything really bad happen!

I am 50, single and quite ill (the only negative in that is being ill, BTW). You have to focus on the positive and refuse to let negativity and memories of not so good times ruin the present. Try have a few projects going on and plans for upcoming things to do so there is never time to dwell on the bad times. I have to make modifications for my illness but I never let it take control of my life. Holidays are what you make of them. Being single and childless it would be easy to be isolated. I invite all of my family comes to my house for all of the holidays and family events. It takes a lot of effort and energy but is so worth it.

You allowed his mother to bawl you out???

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
As I was taking a walk yesterday in my neighborhood, sure enough there was a house with two scarecrows on their lawn and pumkins hanging on their fence. Too early for me to even consider putting out Halloween decorations.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It is Autumn so I don't see the problem with having pumpkins, gourds, scarcrows, and foddershocks displayed as they are Autumnal decorations. I consider Halloween decorations as carved pumpkins, spiders, witches and the like. While Martha is "away" we must all do our part and keep up with our decorating, LOL. ;) :D ;)

Halloween is the Celtic New Years Eve. The year is something like 6,000, so on November 1, Christian hierarchy, in order to rid the old grand religion of the Celts, made November lst a Christian holy day.

Still the Celts continued to make happy on New Years Eve and continued the tradition of spooks roaming the earth. The Christian Hierarchy failed to stop these celebrations, but it did make November 2 a Day of the Dead, probably hoping that the Celts would stop practicing old traditions.

So much for Halloween, and we get to a very sensible holiday of Thanksgiving.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Makes it a busy day getting the Halloween makeup off and making it to All Saints Day mass in time :D Posting in ecclesiastical purple and pagan orange to please everyone.

Food, football, and shopping the next day...the PERFECT holiday!

Last edited:
Piel, you slipped it by me once, but the second time I had to check it out. So now I learned a new word! Click here for a picture of FODDERSHOCKS from the Black Bear region of Cumberland, Kentucky.

To complete my store of knowledge, I also learned that "Foddershock" is the name of a self-described "accoustic Appalacian dysfunctional folk rock" band.

And here's a poem about foddershocks (Google is such a wonderful invention!). Note the interesting rhyme scheme.

INDIAN SUMMER

How drowsily this phantom summer creeps
Over the fields that autumn has laid bare;
A blue haze hangs where gold was on the air
And weaves a dusk wherein the sunlight sleeps.

And all the magic dream of yesterday-
The gilt and crimson leaves, whirling and falling-
Are less than nothing in this brief recalling
Of what was lost when summer went away.

Along the smoky aisles of light and shadow
No birds are left to suddenly take wing;
Here is a warmth that yields not anything
Save a soft blur enfolding hill and meadow.

Strangely the somnolent sunlight tarnishes
The copper foddershocks and tangled grass;
Above the stubble where sweet clover was
The last bee grieves, and drifts, and vanishes.

-MINNIE HITE MOODY.​

:)

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Larry I don't think that I ever wrote the word before, LOL. I have to admit that I did look it up before posting. Around here they are called foddershocks, fodderstalks, fodderstocks, even fathershocks, LOL. Did you know them as fodderstalks? Also sometimes written as two words.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Halloween is the Celtic New Years Eve. The year is something like 6,000, so on November 1, Christian hierarchy, in order to rid the old grand religion of the Celts, made November lst a Christian holy day.

Still the Celts continued to make happy on New Years Eve and continued the tradition of spooks roaming the earth. The Christian Hierarchy failed to stop these celebrations, but it did make November 2 a Day of the Dead, probably hoping that the Celts would stop practicing old traditions.

Joe

I hate halloween....period.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Lad, why? I love to see the costumes everyone comes up with. I have neighbors on either side of me and across the street who don't do Trick or Treat just because they are cranky a$$ed and don't like kids :mad: :cry: :mad: . They turn their lights off and usually go somewhere for the night. This mean I have to put out lots of luminaria so the kids will know that someone on the block is celebrating.

What's not to like about Halloween? Oh! to see the luminaria shining on the foddershocks... :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
NO MATHMAN...can't have the luminaria near the foddershocks.....fire hazard, LOL!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With all due respect to Halloween decorating appearing so early, I have the same reaction when I see ads for "Back-to-School" clothing in early July. :eek: While I realize that there are many parts of the USA where kids are back in school by mid-August, this is just hard to take (I'm an elementary school teacher) :confused: . I mean let's try to enjoy what summertime there is before it inevitably slips away. :(

Johar

Medalist
Our town is goofy. It always holds trick-or-treat the Sunday closest to Halloween, from 1-3 pm. We haven't had night TOT hours since the 1980s.

There's been lots of complaints over it, because truckloads of kids from other towns would come in and people were getting as many as 300 trick-or-treaters.

At least the new Mayor want to return it to night hours on Halloween.

When I was in school we had Halloween parties and got to wear costumes and parade around to other classes. It was so much fun! Now it has been banned and you can't even have drawings of carved pumpkins or say the word "Halloween" or you could get in trouble.

Johar

Medalist
Piel said:
I
You allowed his mother to bawl you out???

Yep. I saw a goofy ad for condoms(we were just casually dating and not at all sexually active) and i mailed it to him. His mom opened the letter and was enraged beyond belief. She thought I was a *****, ****, lowlife scumbag who had no business talking to her son.

I bet a European mom would never have a fit over something like that!

And she had no business opening the mail of her 19-year-old son!