2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Well, the 2014 runner-up was Sotnikova, so maybe Med will follow that pattern instead ... ?

Hoping that they ladies all bring it next month!!

And, Medvedeva is a hard worker. She will probably shuffle around in her program to match Zagitova technically - then she's unbeatable.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It’s like it was in 1998 when there were 2 ladies everyone knew would get gold and silver, and a million ladies with the possibility to get bronze.

anyanka

Record Breaker
And, Medvedeva is a hard worker. She will probably shuffle around in her program to match Zagitova technically - then she's unbeatable.

Since they train in the same rink with the same coach, not hard to do and to test out ...

#teameteri

Globetrotter

Medalist
They'll hate on Kostornaia too just watch.

I am sure they will not. Kostornaia is IMO a potentially better Eteri type skater. I find her basic gliding and edges to be stronger than Zagi or Zhenya. She backloads like Zagi but I find it easier to watch due to the better basic gliding. Zagi has possibly the strongest focus on her skate but the true star with the irreplaceable X factor with audience has got to be Zhenya. It’s something intrinsic and the only other skater with that X factor has got to be Marin Honda. Still, this is a sport and may the best all rounder who skate clean win. On a personal note, my faves will always be the ones who can display the great basic SS - give me smooth glides, quiet blades, deep edges and effortless looking turns. This is really underrated these days but I think it adds a very important dimension as SS is the real cake beneath the icing and sugar art and piping.

tars

Record Breaker
I am sure they will not. Kostornaia is IMO a potentially better Eteri type skater. I find her basic gliding and edges to be stronger than Zagi or Zhenya. She backloads like Zagi but I find it easier to watch due to the better basic gliding. Zagi has possibly the strongest focus on her skate but the true star with the irreplaceable X factor with audience has got to be Zhenya. It’s something intrinsic and the only other skater with that X factor has got to be Marin Honda.
:love::luv17::yes:

LeahCarinaClares

Spectator
Nationals and other Competitions in 2018

What a wonderfully edited excitement building trailer! Were the skaters featured in any order, world ranking sort? If so, there were some...questionable...orders.
My ladies thoughts:
Zhenya will continue to dominate. But her task will be made harder by her teammate Alina. They are in the real fight.
Carolina will be ridiculously overscored again. I have a lot to say on that, but here is not the place.
Kaetlyn will ride on her success from last year, while Daleman has a bit more work to do to make that sort of reputation happen.
The Russian third spot will be interesting. My hopes are on Polina, but if she can't get it, I'd love to see Masha or Lena get it. Pogorilaya will probably struggle but have an upward trajectory. Same with Tuktamysheva. I just can't see them getting the 3rd spot though.
The US ladies.... sheesh. Mirai will be the next big thing if she can get her triples rotated. This is Karen's problem too. If Mariah and Courtney can turn in two clean performances back to back at competitions, they are also contenders. Bradie Tennell is amazing and definitely a contender for one of the spots. Ashley... is probably going to get a lot of reputation passes like Osmond and will probably end up on the team even if she doesn't really earn it at nationals.
The Japanese ladies have the opposite problem: they have too many good contenders for too few spots. There's Wakaba, Mai, Satoko, Marin, Rika, and several others. Nationals will be a key event this season for that reason.
Other skaters I'm excited for this season: Kailani Craine, Loena Hendrickx, Laurine Lecavlier.

I don't think Carolina was overscored at Europeans. If anything, she deserved a higher artistic score for her incredible fluidity and line and artistic arm positions during the Biellman-esque layback spin. She's really gotten better and better at making her height and long limbs a plus, creating maximum visual drama and a luscious glow to the subtlest skating move.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I don't think Carolina was overscored at Europeans. If anything, she deserved a higher artistic score for her incredible fluidity and line and artistic arm positions during the Biellman-esque layback spin. She's really gotten better and better at making her height and long limbs a plus, creating maximum visual drama and a luscious glow to the subtlest skating move.

imho, she deserved to win the short program. She was on point and her program was well balanced.

curious

Final Flight
imho, she deserved to win the short program. She was on point and her program was well balanced.

Caros short was great but there's no way she keeps the comp close without evgenia there. Thank you zhenya for saving carolina s bronze medal lol

FSLover17

On the Ice
Congratulations to Kaori for winning 4CC! She skated very well and I think she was the rightful winner but I think her PCS were too high and lutz should have gotten called for a change of edge. I think this increases her chances of a high placement at the Olympics. I had her at 9th but a total score of 214 could get her into the top 5 and is the 6th(?) highest score of the season.
Satoko's PCS were undermarked. Her PCS were 6 pts lower than Alina's at Europeans! If her foot was giving her pain, I would have skipped 4CC and just skated in the team event before the individual. The time to rebound is so short that I worry for both her and Kaori. Anyway, I hope she bounces back from this and skates well at the Olympics!
My power list:
1) Alina (unbeaten this season)
2) Evgenia (coming back from injury tho at Europeans so I expect to see improvement in Pyeongchang)
3) Kaetlyn (didn't skate well at nationals but proved on the Grand Prix that she can score well even when she falters)
4) Carolina (similar story to Kaetlyn)
5) Kaori (important win at 4CC)
6) Maria/Satoko (both didn't skate up to par at last competitions but are consistently strong)
8) Gabby (had great performances at nationals)
9) Bradie (also skated very well at nationals and is very consistent)
10) Mirai/Karen/Dabin (all skated well at last competitions but aren't known for consistency)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
My power list:
1-2. Evgenia and Alina. Neck and neck at this point; while Alina is undefeated this season, Evgenia was coming back from injury and is more experienced in dealing with nerves, also has been unbeaten for the past two seasons up until now.
3. Kaetlyn. Like Carolina, she is propped up when she fails to deliver, but she also has a better chance than Kostner at skating a free with only one or two mistakes.
4. Carolina. Unbelievably propped up like Osmond but also has a greater meltdown rate: see Euros free
5. Kaori. Important win at 4CC showing that she is Japan's number 1 right now
6. Gabby. Won over Kaetlyn at nationals with stellar performances
7. Satoko. Coming back from foot injury, has the charisma and performance skills to make everyone else jealous!
8. Bradie. National champion and super consistent.
9. Maria. Didn't even podium at Euros and seems to have lost some of her consistency. Is also Russia's number 3 so won't get scored as highly as others because of that
10. Mirai. If she brings out the 3A, she is a technical beast. Needs to up her performance and consistency with the axel. I believe it will happen though.

11. Dabin. On an upward momentum and did great at 4CC.
12. Elizabet. Rare bombing at 4CC has me concerned about her state right now. Hold it together, girl!
13. Karen. When she's on, she's ON, but when she's off, she's OFF.
14. Loena. Great skate at Euros!
15. Mae-Berenice. Nabbed the French Olympic spot with wins over Laurine all season long. Seems to do best at the Olympics.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Still have no idea where everyone will place, one is only as good as their last performance and you don’t know if there will be meltdowns ( Mao SP Sochi) But will be an exciting competition none the less 😊

Sveta

On the Ice
My power list:
1-2. Evgenia and Alina. Neck and neck at this point; while Alina is undefeated this season, Evgenia was coming back from injury and is more experienced in dealing with nerves, also has been unbeaten for the past two seasons up until now.
3. Kaetlyn. Like Carolina, she is propped up when she fails to deliver, but she also has a better chance than Kostner at skating a free with only one or two mistakes.
4. Carolina. Unbelievably propped up like Osmond but also has a greater meltdown rate: see Euros free
5. Kaori. Important win at 4CC showing that she is Japan's number 1 right now
6. Gabby. Won over Kaetlyn at nationals with stellar performances
7. Satoko. Coming back from foot injury, has the charisma and performance skills to make everyone else jealous!
8. Bradie. National champion and super consistent.
9. Maria. Didn't even podium at Euros and seems to have lost some of her consistency. Is also Russia's number 3 so won't get scored as highly as others because of that
10. Mirai. If she brings out the 3A, she is a technical beast. Needs to up her performance and consistency with the axel. I believe it will happen though.

11. Dabin. On an upward momentum and did great at 4CC.
12. Elizabet. Rare bombing at 4CC has me concerned about her state right now. Hold it together, girl!
13. Karen. When she's on, she's ON, but when she's off, she's OFF.
14. Loena. Great skate at Euros!
15. Mae-Berenice. Nabbed the French Olympic spot with wins over Laurine all season long. Seems to do best at the Olympics.

I would agree with the predictions.
However, my gut tells me Kaori might spike guns...:cool14:

Best of luck to all girls!

karakaka

Rinkside
Frontrunners:

1&2. Zagitova and Medvedeva. Really a toss-up. Are Zagitova's SP struggles over? Will the Olympic pressure get to her? Will Medvedeva show up 100% after what was probably a 90% at Euros (for her! for anyone else it'd be 110+% LOL).
3. Kostner. Obviously can't have a repeat of Euros, but somehow can still get 75 PCS with tons of errors? This could really hold her up.
-------------------
Medal contenders:

4. Osmond. Again, always does well even with the major errors. If (big if) clean, could really shake things up.
5. Sakamoto. Jeez, where did she come from? We all know she won bronze at junior worlds last year, but I don't think anyone was expecting this! Gets the jump GOEs that Satoko won't, and has been fairly consistent.
6. Sotskova. Will there be URs? Will they be called?
-------------------
Darkhorses:

7. Miyahara. See Sotskova. Ugh, it makes me so sad to put her this low. Unlike Kostner & Osmond, won't score well if she makes a major error. She's my favorite though, I hope she medals.
8. Daleman. Not the most consistent, but if she puts out what she did at Nationals...
-------------------
Darkest-horses:

9. Nagasu. Clean programs w/ clean 3As would give her the highest scores of any US lady. I'm putting her over Tennell even though I expect Tennell to score higher, just because Nagasu has a higher ceiling.
10. Tennell. We had a 4th for the US in Sochi, and a 4th in Vancouver. It seems highly unlikely that any of the US ladies will be getting a 4th here.
11. Tursynbaeva. Don't know what happened at 4CC, but she did break 200 earlier this season (w/ an invalid 1Lz in the SP!).
12. Choi. Wow, I really had her completely written off for this season. Obviously, she's had a really awful year outside of skating, and I'm so happy to see her doing well. Could really have a moment at the Olympics, w/ it being in Korea.
13. Chen. Still not sure how she got that 4th at Worlds last year, but seems to do well under the highest-pressure situations.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Very good assessment! I had a dream several months ago ( even put it in my dream scenarios thread ) that Caro won gold when she nailed everything, Evgenia got silver when she had a fall and Satoko got bronze with a clean program. It’s a possible outcome but not sure, we will find out in less than a month 😃

Sackie

Medalist
There is no way am American Lady will not be in the final group and in the running for a medal no matter how they skate - just look at last years worlds! They will be getting bonus GOE and PCS to keep them their = and no way will they be getting any ur calls!

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I have just seen 4CC and what a (Japanese) treat it was. After Europeans I was so sure that the Russian girls will walk away with gold and silver at the Olympics...but now I am not so sure! If Sakamoto/Mihara/Miyahara can deliver clean programs they surely will be up there in the mix.

It's going to be another crazy, exciting, mindblowing Olympic event!

My thinking in where they would end up

Medvedeva 1-3
Zagitova 1-5
Sakamoto 1-5
Kostner 2-6
Miyahara 2-6
Osmond 3-6
Sotskova 4-10
Tennell 5-10
Daleman 5-12
Nagasu 5-12
Hendrickx 6-12
Chen 6-12
Li 10-15
Rajicova 10-15

(Apparently Mihara has not qualified?)

I will probably change my mind later...

Conclusion: After seeing the Russian Nationals, the US Nationals, The Europeans and the 4CC, I can easily say that the hardest fight for the podium was at Russian Nationals... Konstantinova/Tsurskaya could easily with a clean skate have been top 3 at the Olympics.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
My thoughts about the final group if everyone is cristal clean with the planned content:

1. Medvedeva Her pcs and GOE will make up for the BV deficit. 81+160=241
2. Zagitova The highest BV and fast pcs rise. But I think she maxed it at the Europeans 80+158=238
3. Kostner She has Medvedeva level pcs (basically near 40 and 80). The key difference is inability to backload 79+153= 232
4. Osmond She has high but not exactly Kostner's pcs and she does not backload big combos 78+152=230
5. Miyahara URs will be neglected, skating skills and spins will be appreciated 76+149=225
6. Nagasu If she delivers clean 3A at SP she is in the last group. But pcs will not allow her to get higher place than that 77+143=220