2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

millie

Medalist
She has never been to an Olympics though. The only one out of the top gold medal potentials who has been to an Olympics is Kostner and we know she handled her nerves last time.

Yes b'ye, Don't forget that Katelyn Osmond won a silver medal in the Team event at 2014 Sochi Olympics Winter Games. That should count for something. Lol..

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Did you see who was third from the top :love:

What a year :yay:

I am thrilled Sotskova has done so well this season. She could have gotten lost in the Zagitova vs. Medvedeva hype, and be "the other Russian", but her performances at the GPF and Euros (where she arguably should have been 3rd) have been solid. She is one of the few Russian seniors who has actually come on strong this season from last year and made a case for herself. And I love her style and programs. Obviously I want Osmond to medal, but I'd be completely fine with a clean Sotskova claiming a medal.

Between her, Zagitova and Medvedeva, it could be the first time the Independent Olympians swept the Olympic podium! :biggrin:

Lightstar

On the Ice
I am thrilled Sotskova has done so well this season. She could have gotten lost in the Zagitova vs. Medvedeva hype, and be "the other Russian", but her performances at the GPF and Euros (where she arguably should have been 3rd) have been solid. She is one of the few Russian seniors who has actually come on strong this season from last year and made a case for herself. And I love her style and programs. Obviously I want Osmond to medal, but I'd be completely fine with a clean Sotskova claiming a medal.

Between her, Zagitova and Medvedeva, it could be the first time the Independent Olympians swept the Olympic podium! :biggrin:

That is something that will never ever happen! Not in this life, not in the next [emoji23]

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes b'ye, Don't forget that Katelyn Osmond won a silver medal in the Team event at 2014 Sochi Olympics Winter Games. That should count for something. Lol..

Well, considering a lot of people count team medals in Olympic medal hauls (no tea, no shade), I'd say Osmond's silver is definitely notable. Her FS was not her best, but she did skate a clean SP (where she arguably should have been 3rd over Asada/Wagner).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is something that will never ever happen! Not in this life, not in the next [emoji23]

Which part? Sotskova skating clean (which she has done) and potentially claiming a medal? Do you not think Sotskova is a threat for the podium?

Because as the GPF silver medalist, and the 4th highest season's best of those competing (and less than 2 points behind Osmond), Sotskova/Zagitova/Medvedeva could make the Independent Olympians podium sweep very much a reality. And if Osmond/Kostner/etc. falter, and those 3 skate as well as they can, then it would be well-deserved.

Lightstar

On the Ice
Which part? Sotskova skating clean (which she has done) and potentially claiming a medal? Do you not think Sotskova is a threat for the podium?

Because as the GPF silver medalist, and the 4th highest season's best of those competing (and less than 2 points behind Osmond), Sotskova/Zagitova/Medvedeva could make the Independent Olympians podium sweep very much a reality. And if Osmond/Kostner/etc. falter, and those 3 skate as well as they can, then it would be well-deserved.

No Sorry i meant it will never happen that the Russians (OAR) get 1,2,3!
I love Sotskova and I do believe that she will skate clean because of her consistency this Season but Kostner will be ahead of her because of Components and I also can see Kaetlyn Osmond ahead if she skates clean.

moriel

Record Breaker
No Sorry i meant it will never happen that the Russians (OAR) get 1,2,3!
I love Sotskova and I do believe that she will skate clean because of her consistency this Season but Kostner will be ahead of her because of Components and I also can see Kaetlyn Osmond ahead if she skates clean.

Well the thing is, Kostner can bomb. If Masha is clean and Kostner bombs, Masha will be ahead (look at the european scores - the difference is pretty small and Masha was not perfect there). Same goes for Osmond.

So basically, it is possible - Kostner and Osmond are not consistency queens, and CLEAN Masha will beat them if they mess up ;) Even with PCs

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I do wonder if Masha will be clean though. IIRC last season she was strong in the fall, then had a few more mistakes at Euros and Worlds. And this season she was strong in the fall, but then had mistakes at Russian Nationals and Euros. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything, especially since last year was her first in seniors.

withwings

On the Ice
Perhaps for Maria it would be better not to win ; not to win might be rather a blessing in disguise for her (?) She is just in the beginning and has lot of potential, especially artistically. She certainly stands out of all the Russian skaters by her own style, and needs more time to become brilliant.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I know it's not a widespread opinion, but I like Sotskova better than either of her Russian teammates. I concede that is faint praise, but there it is.

My ranking of Russian ladies: Sotskova - big gap - Medvedeva - bigger gap - Zagitova.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps for Maria it would be better not to win ; not to win might be rather a blessing in disguise for her (?) She is just in the beginning and has lot of potential, especially artistically. She certainly stands out of all the Russian skaters by her own style, and needs more time to become brilliant.

I really doubt she sees it that way. I wouldn't.

withwings

On the Ice
I really doubt she sees it that way. I wouldn't.

Oh, I am sure she does not see her in that way, and good for her if she does not! And I am glad you neither. Good thoughts are the best support... then let her skate lights out!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I know it's not a widespread opinion, but I like Sotskova better than either of her Russian teammates. I concede that is faint praise, but there it is.

My ranking of Russian ladies: Sotskova - big gap - Medvedeva - bigger gap - Zagitova.

I actually like Sotskova better, too, I'm not sure why. I guess it's style.

winky97

Medalist

I liked Sotskova until she started doing those ugly Tanos. Those ugly things have made it hard for me to pull for her

charlotte14

Medalist
I liked Sotskova until she started doing those ugly Tanos. Those ugly things have made it hard for me to pull for her
Same here. Sotsokova has improved a lot in her skating and refinement. But those tanos... they do not even help her jumps.

Suzzzy

Rinkside
Maria has no chance for gold medal.
I hope the podium will be: 1-2. Zhenia (she was unbeatable for 2 years, she deservs gold), 1-2. Alina(most technically challenging SP and FP), 3. Karo/Kaeitlin.
The first two ladies are the only candidates for gold and silver if they scate clean.