2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

Nikidom

Rinkside
After the Team Event my power list is:
1) Evgenia - I was so impressed with her! I've always preferred her to Alina but was scared that her injury time would hurt her but it doesn't seem to have. Not only was I impressed by how she skated but her sportsmanship - congratulating Alina on her score. Such an amazing role model and athlete!
2) Alina - I was slightly worried that she would be intimidated by the Olympic stage but clearly not! She skated her FS well like she has all season so now all she needs to do is nail that SP. Rooting for her to have a Boston Ashley moment!

i am not fully understand how could you place Evgenia above Alina?
All steps, spins, trans, choreo should be ranked +1 at least, GOE on Jums +1 above. Evgenia very overscored compare to Alina nowdays.To get silver Alina need to blow 2 programs.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Because Alina has skated a clean SP only once this season and the Russians are attacked by doping officials everywhere they go and this is her biggest competition ever... that's enough to make her very nervous, understandably so I might add.
if she messes up her SP, she loses her gold I think.

colormyworld240

Medalist
okay, I can see that. Still, too bad for them not to be able to enjoy the Games fully.

Pretty sure it's just another competition to them. They can't really have the Olympic spirit given what they've gone through and are still going through. It's just a crappy situation overall; they weren't in the opening ceremony either. The opening ceremony and festivities in the Olympics are nationalistic, but they are neutral athletes. Their only focus here is their own performance in the competition. Only their placement and their result. They don't have much else to celebrate, unlike the other athletes.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I dislike sports events where medals are sent by post months after the event.

Our athletes been on the other side of the fence, being robbed of their podium glory because somebody cheated. Sure, they got their medals later on, but at that time nobody cared anymore.

I am sure Alina will do fine, even missing one session. Never got why aren't the Russian skaters in PC the whole time... they will miss out on the Olympic spirit this way.

"Our athletes have been robbed of their glory because someone cheated". Yes, someone cheated. Not sure why you're posting this in the figure skating thread though, as your athletes have not been robbed because any of the figure skaters in this event cheated. People are expressing the unjust situation where they pulled Alina out of practice and made her miss it. The whole situation was not handled well and has disrupted her practice time which is only allotted a certain amount of time per athlete as well as her focus. It's not poor little Russia. It's poor Alina. Alina was probably chosen as she is the best skater of them all. Has this occurred with any other figure skater, Russian or otherwise?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
"Our athletes have been robbed of their glory because someone cheated". Yes, someone cheated. Not sure why you're posting this in the figure skating thread though, as your athletes have not been robbed because any of the figure skaters in this event cheated. People are expressing the unjust situation where they pulled Alina out of practice and made her miss it. The whole situation was not handled well and has disrupted her practice time which is only allotted a certain amount of time per athlete as well as her focus. It's not poor little Russia. It's poor Alina. Alina was probably chosen as she is the best skater of them all. Has this occurred with any other figure skater, Russian or otherwise?
It is rather unfortunate some of the things that have happened. I understand about the random drug testing but really surely they knew when her practice was. I would say that Alina should be fine sheis tough. There will certainly be no Russian sweep;someoen is l ikely to make anerror andeven ifthye skate clean Sotskova will be bumped by Carolina or Mirai who seems to have found favor or Satoko or even one of the two Canadian challenges. sorry Larkyn she is lucky to make it through the sp. Poor Alaine must be crying at home. I feel for her.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Dopping officers made Alina drink 2 liters of water to take the test! Before that they stopped her training! How can it be? Shame on them. Alina said that even 300gr can ruin technic and may result in injuries. They came to het as she is she is the only one who can get gold. That not a fair game agains Rus figure skaters.
It not sport any more, only politics(
I am afraid those 2 extra liters of waters just before competition can ruin much more than skipped training or stress. I mean it's not easy or even impossible to return to your optimal weight in one day - some part of water gonna remain in tissues. Strict drying, dehydration, diet and weight control regimes in sports where weight matters - exists for a reason, after all.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
About the doping stuff, I'm pretty sure making athletes drink to get a sample is fairly standard. Meagan Duhamel was talking about it on the TSL pairs recap. She said that at home if you can't produce enough urine, they'll follow you round and get you to drink until you pee again. Maybe they asked her to drink too much, I don't know. But I know they can't test it if the urine is too diluted either. But as people have said, making someone miss the practice isn't allowed, but it's already happened to a non-OAR skater, so I don't see how it's really country related.

Suzzzy

Rinkside
I am afraid those 2 extra liters of waters just before competition can ruin much more than skipped training or stress. I mean it's not easy or even impossible to return to your optimal weight in one day - some part of water gonna remain in tissues. Strict drying, dehydration, diet and weight control regimes in sports where weight matters - exists for a reason, after all.

Alina’s weight is too small to drink 2+ liters of water. It could ruin her jumps.
I hope Alina will get angry and make the best skate ever!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I'm so scared for tomorrow. I just saw the starting order, and it is too real. My only hopes, for very different reasons, are that Kostner and Medvedeva will go clean. I'm rooting for Toth Ivett!

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
MIRAI PLEASE COME THRU! UR SKATING EARLIER THAN THE OTHERS, THE PRESSURE WILL BE OFF, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Also Zhenya and Lina thank you for your sacrifices of letting Carolina lead the short, U WILL PROB OVERTAKE HER IN THE FREE ANYWAYS:devil::roll9::laugh2:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Any guesses on which six will not qualify through to the FS tomorrow? The field isn't as strong overall as the Mens.

These skaters seem the most vulnerable to me:
- Aiza MAMBEKOVA (KAZ)
- Larkyn AUSTMAN (CAN)
- Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA)
- Alexia PAGANINI (SUI)
- Diana NIKITINA (LAT)
- Anita OESTLUND (SWE)
- Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA)

MAMBEKOVA and AUSTMAN would have to give the performances of their lives to make the top 24. Otherwise, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. PELTONEN and RUSSO have the good luck of going in Groups 2 and 3, respectively, so that should help. TOTH Ivett (HUN), Kailani CRAINE (AUS), LI Xiangning (CHN), Loena HENDRICKX (BEL), KIM Hanul (KOR) or Nicole SCHOTT (GER) could all end up on the chopping block if they make an enormous error, but it seems less likely and would be an upset. If anyone else fails to qualify, it will be a huge upset.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Any guesses on which six will not qualify through to the FS tomorrow? The field isn't as strong overall as the Mens.

These skaters seem the most vulnerable to me:
- Aiza MAMBEKOVA (KAZ)
- Larkyn AUSTMAN (CAN)
- Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA)
- Alexia PAGANINI (SUI)
- Diana NIKITINA (LAT)
- Anita OESTLUND (SWE)
- Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA)

MAMBEKOVA and AUSTMAN would have to give the performances of their lives to make the top 24. Otherwise, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. RUSSO and PELTONEN have the good luck of going in Group 3, so that should help. TOTH Ivett (HUN), Kailani CRAINE (AUS), LI Xiangning (CHN), Loena HENDRICKX (BEL), KIM Hanul (KOR) or Nicole SCHOTT (GER) could all end up on the chopping block if they make an enormous error, but it seems less likely and would be an upset. If anyone else fails to qualify, it will be a huge upset.

I think Khnychenkova has less of a shot than Nikitina, to be honest. I don't know how this will translate to the event, but Nikitina's been doing 3F-3Lo and 3Lz-3Lo. Just needs to calm her nerves.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
My prediction is.... the Ladies SP thread will reach 200 pages before the event ends & I'll guess 300 for the FS :laugh: This is gonna be one crazy competition!

Blondie12

On the Ice
So far no real surprises at the olympics with medals, which is unusual. Usually at least one is a surprise. WIll ladies be the outlier? We'll know after tonight if the russiansn are not in 1-2. Gold and silver may be wrapped up tonight.

kalee

On the Ice
I think the ladies least likely to qualify for the FS are Mambekova, Austman and Nikitina, as they have not scored above 50 points this season at ISU CS & above events.
The next tier would be Peltonen, Paganini and Williams, who have PB's in the low 50's range. They would have to top their PB's by around 3-5 points to be able to qualify, but that could happen especially if someone else bombs and scores below 55.
Russo, Oestlund, Craine, Hendrickx and Khnychenkova have PB's in the mid to high 50's, so it's a toss-up between them and the skaters in the low-50's tier, whoever goes clean has a chance to get through.
Xiangning has to be clean because she doesn't have a 3-3 this season, but is likely to make it given her 4CC momentum (57.01). Schott has been solidly scoring around 55 points in GP with a PB above 60, so could also squeak through. I'm also optimistic about Ha Nul who recently scored her PB and broke 60 points at 4CC, Ivett whose PB is also above 60, and Meite who has improved vs. previous years and overtaken Laurine.

Blondie12

On the Ice
Mirai would be best if she was not in a medal position come free skate. She freaked out when she was 1 st worlds in 2010. It would be good for her to be in 3-4 place after the russians, or even father back provided it's all withon a point or two.

If mirai really wanted I imagine she could add a triple axel i in the free though don't know if there's time. It will depend on skate order at the free - sbe needs to be in top group, pray she goes late, and in a position to know what she needs to do. If the music, rules and time allow it if it's close and it's going for the bronze or ending up in 5-8th place, I don't see why she wouldn't go for a second axel (not sure if there are rules on that). She would love to make history like that. She will make history if she hits both her axels- first one to do 4 triple axels at olympics - actually I think she need only hit one? (not sure if mao hit it in team last time).

And it's key Tom Z shield Mirai if she's in medal converrsation. Take away her phone - she seems like she reads social media which that is not the thing to do right now. She wear heart on sleeve so negative comments on that could psyche her out.

Bradie will be hurt by going first. She won't get above 68, what she got in team. It's a good position to going clean but not a good place to position for medals. Karen could be a surprise but unlikely to medal.

Blondie12

On the Ice
why would they think they could? they were robbed of their national identity and are hounded on by doping officials more so than anyone else. it probably feels like too much at this point.

too much? They were literally passing urine samples behind holes in the wall at the sochi olympics and they probably did not even catch all the cheaters. Many athletes probably were denied their moment with the medal ceremony. This wasn't a case a case of someone taking a sudafed-like drug like with the romanian gymnast. This was state-sponsored systematic doping. Who knows what these athletes were given - many of these athletes maybe did not even know what theiri vitamins contained.

So to be inconveniced by a urine test and not to hear national athem is a small price. Especially when thye found doping - in curling athlete no less! The russian athletes are being respected and they essentially tell everyone that they are russian - they just can't display their flag or anthem.Small price to pay really.

I don't think Zagitova is the only skater affected. I recall I think it was the Italian ice dancing team also missed their practice during to urine. And I am sure there are others, many from low ranked countries even with no hope of a medal since I think it's done randomly. So it's affecting a lot of people, it just gets more attention with her.

If I were from Russia I would take doping tests every day given the embarassment I would feel from Sochi, even if I was not in any way invvolved.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina’s weight is too small to drink 2+ liters of water. It could ruin her jumps.
I hope Alina will get angry and make the best skate ever!

That's ridiculous. The water will go right through her unless she is loading up on salt.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
That's ridiculous. The water will go right through her unless she is loading up on salt.

While I agree that she should take the test (everyone is affected, not just Russians!) they definitely could have gone about it a different way. Interrupting her training in such a blatant way + forcing her to drink 2 lt of water (which, if true, is actually really unhealthy) seems really unnecessary to me and potentially damaging for the mental wellbeing of a 15 year old athlete. They definitely should have tested her, as it is common practice, but they could have been less rude about it (assuming everything we heard is true=)