2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
All right, I'm going to put my updated ladies power list here:
1) Evgenia Medvedeva. The one and only, the legend, the GOAT.
2) Alina Zagitova. She's beaten Wakaba twice now, but each time was close
3) Wakaba Higuchi. So close to beating Zagitova, Russia's no. 2.
4) Kaetlyn Osmond. I don't like her skating but she gets insane scores even when she makes mistakes.
5) Mai Mihara. She hasn't had the best season results-wise yet but she has the potential to score high. Very consistent.
6) Elena Radionova. She is fighting to come back.
7) Marin Honda. Very nice skating, kind of bland in my opinion, but hasn't ranked too high yet.
8) Carolina Kostner. Also scores high for pretty empty programs.
9) Ashley Wagner. She is plagued by underrotations this year and not as good of performances of both her repeats, but she's leading the US ladies results wise.
10) Mariah Bell. Highest US lady points-wise in the GP thus far.

Yet to skate that can make the list:
Satoko Miyahara. Very well known, consistent, gets good results. But coming back from injury.
Polina Tsurskaya. Not as well known, explosive jumps, back onto her old form, scored above 200 at Russian local competitions (which are often underscored)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Share with us your thoughts on the ladies this season!

I can't get out of my mind a you tube comment on Zagitova's CoC free program. It's as if someone wrote a long essay that needed to be five pages, but it was seven pages. Rather than cut it down, they just reduced the font size.

Big Sigh. So much is being lost in this race for the most points....

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
So far Evgenia, Alina, Wakaba, Carolina and Kaetlyn are the top podium contenders atm, special mention to Polina T with her NHK showing, looking very promising 👌🏻😊

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
So far Evgenia, Alina, Wakaba, Carolina and Kaetlyn are the top podium contenders atm, special mention to Polina T with her NHK showing, looking very promising 👌🏻😊
Very true, I can't wait to see who makes the final tho and how they compete there to see who else can contend, we still have to remember Ashley, Maria, and Mai as well...

desertskates

Medalist
Agreeing with Spiral for Miles on Wakaba at the number three spot. I've always liked her skating, but she's really come out swinging this year. Strong and consistent jumps with great programs, I think she has solid potential to overtake Alina and Kaetlyn. Hope all these ladies stay healthy from here on out so we see them all at their best in Korea!

tars

Record Breaker
I've got this overwhelming feeling, Alina is going to win it. :peace:
After two tournaments, two falls an other mistakes, it's obvious Zhenya's form is on a wrong side of amplitude - Zagitova is peaking, while Medvedeva's jumping is getting worse with every competition.

In sport like figure skating, momentum is everything - The Era of Red Ballerina starts in Pyeongchang! :yahoo:

Marin Honda will sneak into Japanese team with her two magical Nationals performances and squeezes bronze. :yes:
Silver for Med (if she keeps decent level) or Wakaba.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
After two tournaments, two falls an other mistakes, it's obvious Zhenya's form is on a wrong side of amplitude - Zagitova is peaking, while Medvedeva's jumping is getting worse with every competition.

In sport like figure skating, momentum is everything - The Era of Red Ballerina starts in Pyeongchang! :yahoo:

Marin Honda will sneak into Japanese team with her two magical Nationals performances and squeezes bronze. :yes:

Stop it please don't curse Zhenya!
I love both her and Alina. Don't curse either!

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I'm not cursing anyone, just expressing my opinion.

Okay, I overreacted perhaps.
Just many people are writing off Zhenya and calling out her flaws more so than usual and I can't stand it.
Sorry tars!

MRani

On the Ice
I think we shouldn’t underestimate Evgenia’s grit. She wasn’t 100% in Japan but still pulled out a decisive victory (and beat Alina’s score in China by over 10 points). Yes, momentum counts for a lot, but Evgenia’s momentum from 2 consecutive senior seasons isn’t going away so easily. Probably whatever was bothering her in Japan (her ankles were taped up?) will be healed by GPF. Alina can really give her a good fight though. And Kaetlyn and Wakaba could be right on Alina’s heels. It’s making the Olympic competition a little more interesting.

winky97

Medalist

I think the story between these two will unfold when they finally have to go head to head in the three competitions that precede the Olympics.

LRK

Record Breaker
Okay, I overreacted perhaps.
Just many people are writing off Zhenya and calling out her flaws more so than usual and I can't stand it.
Sorry tars!

I think it would be very premature to start writing off Evgenia - she is very gritty, and has nerves of steel. And are you referring to the competition threads? I haven't got around to looking at the NHK ones, so don't know what people are saying. But a piece of advice: if the threads are getting to you, stop reading them. Especially after the competition has ended. Just for your own peace of mind. That's what I do.:)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Last Olympic cycle, two heavy hitters weren’t even at the GPF (kostner and Kim) . This year it looks like all the medal favorites are positioned to be there (well, in ladies, at least!) and the Final will be very telling on how the Olympics will go. I’m expecting majorly inflated scores and an exciting event with the following:

1)Medvedeva
2)Zagitova
3)Kostner
4)Osmond
5)Wagner
6)Wakaba

The only reason Wagner is on this list is because she has a huge chance of winning SA. The only reason Wakaba is on this list is because if there’s a tie-breaker between her and Sotskova, I believe that Wakaba has the edge. And the only reason I have Tsurskaya off the list is because what if she’s second to Ashley at SA? That brings a “we all got one silver and one bronze” tiebreaker between Wakaba, Tsurskaya, and most likely Sotskova.

Ugh, my head hurts 😩

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
You think Ashley has a huge chance to win SA?? Over Tsurskaya who just got 210 at NHK? When was the last time Ashley scored that high, even at home?
I also don't think Ashley can be considered a medal favorite at this point...

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
You think Ashley has a huge chance to win SA?? Over Tsurskaya who just got 210 at NHK? When was the last time Ashley scored that high, even at home?
I also don't think Ashley can be considered a medal favorite at this point...

Yes, I think that Ashley could win over Polina. All the usfsa has to do is hike up her pcs. All Ashley has to do is ROTATE (uh, which, yeah, I guess is very hard for her to do...) When I think about it, I have no idea. US will want her in the Final.

christinaskater

Medalist
1. Medvedeva
2. Zagitova (Zagitova has a great chance of winning Olympic gold over Medvedeva, but Medvedeva is still the favourite).
3. Kostner
4. Osmond
5. Tsurskaya
6. Higuchi
7. Mihara
8. Wagner
9. Daleman
10. Nagasu

Tallorder

On the Ice
Who's a morning skater!? I think with the Olympic skating events being shown "live" in North America, aren't most final Free skate events taking place in the morning over in Korea?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
GPF Ladies:

Evgenia Medvedeva
Kaetlyn Osmond
Carolina Kostner
Maria Sotskova
Alina Zagitova
...and.......
We’ll have to wait for SA to see if it’s Wakaba, Tsurskaya, or Wagner. This is gonna be so exciting 🤗😱😰😄😱!!!!!!!!