2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course!

:palmf::palmf::palmf::palmf:

I wait for figure skating events to be on TV, and the Ladies Short comes, and it falls on Tuesday. My bowling night.

I'm recording it, but I won't avoid spoilers!

Skate well, ladies! Mirai, you NAIL that 3A!!!

colormyworld240

Medalist
I'm not going to debate what went on, but I think there was alot of documentary evidence as well. Intl olympic committee wouldn't just give out sanctions to punish the prior host who did put out such a great olympics for them based on the testimony of one person. But I guess if I was from Russia I would not be hearing the other evidence.

Russian ladies if they skate well tonight will get gold, silver. It's telling that they may likely be the only gold of the Games for Russia (though it seems like hockey may pull through for them). It makes the doping allegations all the more compelling because where did all the gold medals go, especially in the speed events.

I think any athelte where there is even a spector of doping either based on evidence or jealousy should just do lots of doping tests. Michael Phelps always knew that there would be some out there that would accuse him because of jealousy and he was always adamant about getting tested whenever they wanted. I think he even signed up for more tests during the olympics - some kind of experimental expended program to check doping. All Russian athletes know there is a cloud above them - if nothing to hide, why not act like Phelps did?

They're not hiding anything, and never refrained from taking the test. We are just saying it isn't right for them to interrupt one of her only training sessions on the ice. She hasn't complained of taking the test, it was just a report....

colormyworld240

Medalist
I think my biggest issue with the ladies skating nowadays is that none of them (with rare exceptions like Carolina) last. Like we see a lot of them, especially Russian ladies hit peak with maybe one or two seasons in their teens and then basically plunge after that and we can't see them grow and evolve like we see with skaters in the other events. I really hope that changes.

I don't think the issue for Russian ladies is that none of them last. If you look at even Radionova, she still won bronze at a GP and 4th place at another. That is not so bad. The only reason she cannot compete at bigger international competition is there are too many good skaters in the country. Other countries do not have that competition, that is why their skaters can stay on the International field for many years. It's not that the skaters themselves are unable to remain because they deteriorate so much, but more as there are too many good skaters in the country than there are spots. Yulia was an exception as she had many issues with technique and health. But other skaters like Tukt and Radionova and even Pogorilaya are still good as they once were but cannot continue. Yes some of them get injured, like Pogorilaya, but other skaters are also injured but when they recover they can return to competition because there is less competition in the country.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Did you not read my post? I literally said that according to Meagan, a team from another country - NOT OAR - also missed practice due to testing. I went back and listened, Meagan said that an Italian female dancer missed a practice and Kaitlyn Weaver almost missed a practice. That shouldn't happen, obviously. To anyone. But my point, that you chose to ignore, is that this is happening to skaters from other countries - not just Russia/OAR.

The issue here is that the testing is interrupting practice times for some skaters (not just Russian) and that should not be allowed. It makes an uneven playing field because those skaters do not get to practice on olympic ice as much as others who do not have to be tested during that. For example, Evgenia and Sotskova were not interrupted, and other skaters were not, but Alina was. The Italians were interrupted, other pairs weren't. So the Italians and Alina are at a disadvantage as they missed their official training. It's not really about being Russian or otherwise. The testing should have waited 30 min until their practice was over. That's how it's done at other competitions, the doping officer will stay with the skater to keep an eye on them, but wait until training is over.

jimini

On the Ice
It's new since early 1990s, when school figures were abolished. Some of us remember when 15-year-olds didn't win the ladies' event.
Well I suppose not many remember when 15-year-old Sonja Henie won in 1928. :)

There have only been two 15-yr-old ladies champions in history:
15 yrs, 257 days = Tara Lipinski in 1998
15 yrs, 316 days = Sonja Henie in 1928

If Zagitova were to win, she would be right between those 2, 20 yrs after Tara did it and 90 years after Sonja.

Fun fact I noticed while looking up those numbers: 19 yrs old seems to be the most popular age for ladies Olympic champs (1932; 1948; 1968; 1976; 1980; 2010).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I suppose not many remember when 15-year-old Sonja Henie won in 1928. :)

There have only been two 15-yr-old ladies champions in history:
15 yrs, 257 days = Tara Lipinski in 1998
15 yrs, 316 days = Sonja Henie in 1928

If Zagitova were to win, she would be right between those 2, 20 yrs after Tara did it and 90 years after Sonja.

Fun fact I noticed while looking up those numbers: 19 yrs old seems to be the most popular age for ladies Olympic champs (1932; 1948; 1968; 1976; 1980; 2010).

:thank: That was a very fun post. I love trivia that is interesting like that.

And for the record, when I said some of us remember when 15-year-olds didn't win ... I was thinking also of Oksana Baiul and Sarah Hughes, who were both 16. In the years before 1994 when I was alive, maturity and expression were encouraged by having school figures. I also thought it was pretty cool that Shizuka Arakawa won at age 26, even though I'm a huge Sasha fan and was pulling for her.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Here's my burning question. Since Alina's program is so back-loaded - and I ask this because I am not a skater - if she misses even one jump, is there theoretically enough time for her to recover, re-build speed and set up for the next jump in the program? It's because they're so close together that I wonder what that would look like if she made a major error (which I have yet to see her do in the FS all season, she's been such a rock-solid competitor). Or would it be like a row of dominoes where if one element falls, the rest (or at least the very next one) also does as well? I see her program as being so high-risk that even one false move would be devastating. When she does her FS I find myself almost holding my breath for nearly two minutes because I'm watching her so intently.

Anyone want to weigh in on my question?

Best of luck to all the ladies! The final flight looks absolutely stacked.

- - - Updated - - -

Today:coffee:on "Russian Cup - RosTelecom" Alexandera:bow:Trusova' FS - 4S:jaw:, 4T:scard8:, 3Lz:scard7:3Lo and many other different jumps:dance2: - http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1519221612/3b422880/20676215.png

Well, we know who to look for in 2022 ... !!! :O

frallik

Match Penalty
at the World Cup in Milan:bow:Nathan Chen will jump 10:cheer:quads in SP/FS - ask:coffee:this question to him and Orser:dev2:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Here's my burning question. Since Alina's program is so back-loaded - and I ask this because I am not a skater - if she misses even one jump, is there theoretically enough time for her to recover, re-build speed and set up for the next jump in the program? It's because they're so close together that I wonder what that would look like if she made a major error (which I have yet to see her do in the FS all season, she's been such a rock-solid competitor). Or would it be like a row of dominoes where if one element falls, the rest (or at least the very next one) also does as well? I see her program as being so high-risk that even one false move would be devastating. When she does her FS I find myself almost holding my breath for nearly two minutes because I'm watching her so intently.

Both top Russians have made mistakes, and both recovered nicely from them in the programs. I think because the errors aren't from lack of fitness, they are able to execute subsequent elements well.

gioccia

On the Ice
People complain about the backloading, I think it's awesome.. it builds incredible tension... Especially Alina's SP... and the music... it starts to grow... she is changing the elements in her dress and turning into a Black Swan and then Bang (the hardest combo in the field)... Bang (huge 3 flip with gorgeous arms over the head)... Bang 2 Axel with immensely difficult entry... and the final two spins...and final change to her dress... Her choreographer is a genius (Thanks to his mum former ballerina).
That's how you set a world record 15 minutes after a WR..

anyanka

Record Breaker
People complain about the backloading, I think it's awesome.. it builds incredible tension... Especially Alina's SP... and the music... it starts to grow... she is changing the elements in her dress and turning into a Black Swan and then Bang (the hardest combo in the field)... Bang (huge 3 flip with gorgeous arms over the head)... Bang 2 Axel with immensely difficult entry... and the final two spins...and final change to her dress... Her choreographer is a genius (Thanks to his mum former ballerina).

I actually don't mind the back-loading at all, I was just in awe that it's so risky and she delivers it every single time! It's designed to maximize points, and it's a winning formula, so there's no point changing it if it works.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Her music works really well with the backloading and many of the parts during the first half are true highlights to me. Especially the transition to the step sequence and the earlier parts of it is a choreographical masterpiece in my opinion.

I actually don't mind the back-loading at all, I was just in awe that it's so risky and she delivers it every single time! It's designed to maximize points, and it's a winning formula, so there's no point changing it if it works.

Every competitive program is designed to maximize points.

colormyworld240

Medalist

Anyone want to weigh in on my question?

Best of luck to all the ladies! The final flight looks absolutely stacked.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we know who to look for in 2022 ... !!! :O

Youtube Alina at JGP Slovenia, that'll answer your question. Complete disaster. Backloading isn't easy like people make it seem because you don't skate the first half. It is a huge risk that is awarded but you have to have tremendous skill to pull it off, otherwise it'll end badly

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Great description! I agree wholeheartedly.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Youtube Alina at JGP Slovenia, that'll answer your question. Complete disaster. Backloading isn't easy like people make it seem because you don't skate the first half. It is a huge risk that is awarded but you have to have tremendous skill to pull it off, otherwise it'll end badly

Yeah, if u watch Anna Sherbackova at Jr Nats this yr, a similar thing happened. IMO, backloading shouldn’t be used by a lot of skaters, it’s difficult, but is not REALLY pushing the sport. If we want to push the sport technically, everyone backloading will work for a little bit, like mb the next quad, but if everyone can do it, it no longer becomes a technical push. The ladies shouldn’t backload, they should try triple axels and quads, something they can continue to push over the years

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

or at EYOF 2017 that was way worse I think