2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I second this. "High PCS due to consistency" has become a joke since this we have Osmond (no clean FS) and Zagitova (no clean SP).

Having seen her live alvina, Osmond skates faster, jumps higher, projects more than any other ladies skater that I have seen, and judges are recognizing and awarding PCS accordingly. Programs are complicated/never safe and as a result of power and complexity, there are inherent risks. Should she have an error it does not take away from the rest of the program, she quickly gets back into character as if nothing happened.

I have not seen Zagitova live, perhaps others who have can provide us with an informed opinion...

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What we often forget is that "normal" skaters often make mistakes: as fans of the very top skaters we are "spoiled", since we always expect them to skate clean. True, to be at the top you need clean performances, but this doesn't mean that a performance with one or two mistakes is a "bombed" one ;)
Yeah, exactly ... people freak out too much! There were situations where skater lands on the podium after bad LP with multiple errors over someone who skated two clean programs with better tech content that though rub me wrong (the prime example was Kostner Bronze in 2014 Worlds over Pogorilaya - it really felt wrong and anticlimactic) but otherwise I am not in favour of doubled punishment unless those tech issues marthings like interpretation, vitality and timing to music. Sure they can make the whole thing to lose its impressive wow effect on you, but there are multiple criteria that they skaters can still fulfill if that's the case. What really annoys me on the other hand is seeing '10' somewhere when skater has disruptive errors like Medvedeva at Cup of Russia this year.

Sam L

Medalist
I'm wondering, does anyone think that the ladies event with be controversial? This event historically has been very controversial and arguments have broken out and some still persist today on who should've won etc... Baiul/Kerrigan, Lipinski/Kwan, Sotnikova/Kim etc... I just wonder because this will be the first Olympics I'll be watching live and wonder how a controversial victory will feel in the atmosphere of the Ice Arena.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Not the victory, unless it's by a Miyahara (UR problems) Osmond (cleanliness problems) or Kostner (techical content, or lack thereof)
But the other medals? Maybe...
If Medvedeva performs like last season and Zagitova performs a clean SP and her normal, clean FS then it would be a grave sin if the OGM and OSM went to anyone else.

Sam L

Medalist
Not the victory, unless it's by a Miyahara (UR problems) Osmond (cleanliness problems) or Kostner (techical content, or lack thereof)
But the other medals? Maybe...
If Medvedeva performs like last season and Zagitova performs a clean SP and her normal, clean FS then it would be a grave sin if the OGM and OSM went to anyone else.

Yes. Whatever happens I'm going to have to take a box of tissues I think.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese are sending Miyahara and Sakamoto to the Olympics and to 4CC as well; the Russians Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova. Carolina Kostner, meanwhile, has demonstrated at Italian Nationals that she has upgraded her SP to 3f+3t and has added 3z to her FS, so she is now a serious medal contender.

US Nationals start next week. It appears that none of the US ladies will be a medal contender this Olympiad.

Canadian Nationals start January 8th. Osmond is the main Olympic medal hopeful there, with Daleman hoping to be more competitive with a return to her last year's FS (and a possible addition of 4t to her repertoire).

oceanle

Rinkside
Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova are all medal contenders. Miyahara I have been impressed with lately - her jumps are higher than before which I think she must be working on. Carolina Kostner is a factor and Osmond is a tour de force. If everyone skated cleanly to their best, the podium would be Medvedeva, Osmond and Zagitova.

The judges are very keen to award Osmond with a great score, and if she can land all her jumps, she can win gold.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova are all medal contenders. Miyahara I have been impressed with lately - her jumps are higher than before which I think she must be working on. Carolina Kostner is a factor and Osmond is a tour de force. If everyone skated cleanly to their best, the podium would be Medvedeva, Osmond and Zagitova.

The judges are very keen to award Osmond with a great score, and if she can land all her jumps, she can win gold.

If Kostner lands all her jumps, she can win too. It is about as realistic as Osmond landing all of hers, but Kostner's supposed layout is now competitive and she also gets bombarded with GOE and PCS.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
The big 5, Evgenia, Alina, Kaetlyn, Carolina and Satoko. This will be an awesome show down to who can make it to the podium!

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kostner,Zagitova,Osmond,and Medvedeva all have a shot at gold. The rest are battling for bronze: Sotskova, Sakamoto, Daleman, Kostnerand Osmond if they aren’t perfect, Miyahara, and whatever Americans impress at nationals and can get themselves together for Pyeongchang.

tung

Rinkside
What are the qualifications for Oly entries

Copying this into here for convenience
I notice China got only a single ladies entry, because their level has sunk to a new low, understandable.

But surprisingly, HongKong China (SAR) got a spot in the Winter Olympics Ladies Figure Skating Competition!

How Come?!

What if some other areas (nations) with a new figure skating athelete wanting to join the games? What will be her qualifications? to start the acceptance process?

I am thinking of Macau, in particular, which has a new skating rink, somewhere, and a new 'national coach', a transplanted Chinese mainland athelete, Jilin native, over there. My daughter's great grandfather was buried in the downtown cemetery, and the family name was a well known icon in the territory. She just made her second double jump-spin style, will surely make for a double axel in the near future, just turned nine...........hope that she can represent her native ancestral land. She has a Russian coach, who has a hand, years ago, in nurturing one of the present US men team member Adam Rippon...........It will be great, in Beijing 2022.

curious

Final Flight
I dont think kostner or any other skaters have a real shot at gold against the two big Russians

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Agreed. Kostner is aiming for another bronze at best. The Russian scores are too inflated to overcome.

I'm not so sure about that, it's unlikely she'll win but based on her current scores she could hit 77-78 SP (w/ a 3F+3T like at ITA nationals). A clean 6 triple LP, she could pull 145+ based on her current scores. If she had 7, she could pass 150+ based on current GOE+reasonably PCS inflation. Those scores would likely beat Zagitova and could threaten Medvedeva if she falters slightly. Again, this is unlikely because she typically makes a few mistakes, but it's not impossible for Kostner with the current scores given.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Zagitova just has to skate SP the way she skated at GPF with a good rippon 3F that will give her 7 rather than 5 points. With some extra markup (Olympic games and she is Russian national champion) she will have 79 for SP (43+36). She then needs to skate FP like she did at the Nationals this or the last year. Then she will have 152 (80+72) with the total of 231. Caro might get 38+76 = 114 in pcs. To beat Zagitova she will need more than 231-114=117 points in TES. She had 102 at GPF and 106 at the Nationals. Something like a miracle should happen for her to get 15 extra technical points. Of course, there is always a scenario when skaters make mistakes. My point is that Alina's task to finally do a clean short and repeat one of her best DQ routines seems much easier than for Caro to drastically improve the tech score.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Zagitova just has to skate SP the way she skated at GPF with a good rippon 3F that will give her 7 rather than 5 points. With some extra markup (Olympic games and she is Russian national champion) she will have 79 for SP (43+36). She then needs to skate FP like she did at the Nationals this or the last year. Then she will have 152 (80+72) with the total of 231. Caro might get 38+76 = 114 in pcs. To beat Zagitova she will need more than 231-114=117 points in TES. She had 102 at GPF and 106 at the Nationals. Something like a miracle should happen for her to get 15 extra technical points. Of course, there is always a scenario when skaters make mistakes. My point is that Alina's task to finally do a clean short and repeat one of her best DQ routines seems much easier than for Caro to drastically improve the tech score.

Or maybe judges will wake up and mark PCS of Zagitova closer to reality? Naive ... even extremely so, but if that's the case than it might be easier for someone like Kostner (albeit still very difficult).

Or maybe judges will wake up and mark PCS of Zagitova closer to reality?

If by closer to reality you mean lower, then no, the opposite will be the case. Zagitova's star is in the ascent. The others are in the unhappy position of having to hold off her challenge. (A very Olympian situation. :yes: )

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Or maybe judges will wake up and mark PCS of Zagitova closer to reality? Naive ... even extremely so, but if that's the case than it might be easier for someone like Kostner (albeit still very difficult).

What reality? In my scenario Caro would still have 6 point pcs cushion which is more than enough. I personally would only give Caro advantage in SS with a clear lag in transitions. In my book these 2 should cross each other out. And 6 points advantage for choreo, performance, and intepretation is more than enough. I find Caro's programs this year quite boring while Zagi's DQ is a masterpiece...not that I understand performance/execution in the first place, i.e how it is different from SS and GOE.