Wagner talks programs, US ladies, and more | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wagner talks programs, US ladies, and more

macy

Record Breaker
In fairness to Ashley, she can't do much else to up the technical content of her programs. In fact, all ladies not attempting the 3axel or a quad (which is all of the top contenders except Mirai - if you want to count Mirai as a top contender) are "maxed out" in terms of technical content - 7 triples and 2 double axels. Ashley's base value technical content if she hits all of the levels and rotates is actually in the upper half of the top contenders, so she's certainly not lacking in terms of her planned content. I suppose given that now she's doing Rippon 2toes on some jumping passes, she did indeed update her technical content. Great interview Ted and Ashley!!!

that would be great to see her do some of those in competition, i'm not sure if I've ever seen her do rippon arms or tano arms on jumps before. that would be a great way for her to add some points!

ssffww

On the Ice
that would be great to see her do some of those in competition, i'm not sure if I've ever seen her do rippon arms or tano arms on jumps before. that would be a great way for her to add some points!

She did them at Skate Canada last weekend.

sross43

Rinkside
In fairness to Ashley wanting to have that "moment"--most people watching her at the Olympics won't have seen it before. I remember the first time I saw in on TV at the '15 Nationals and after Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" it was the my favorite program. So, as much as I am not excited to see a three-peat, it will work for the casual viewer. Also, Ashley isn't dumb; she knows she's probably not coming out of this with an individual medal. This Olympics is about getting the public to like her and make her marketable.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In fairness to Ashley, she can't do much else to up the technical content of her programs. In fact, all ladies not attempting the 3axel or a quad (which is all of the top contenders except Mirai - if you want to count Mirai as a top contender) are "maxed out" in terms of technical content - 7 triples and 2 double axels. Ashley's base value technical content if she hits all of the levels and rotates is actually in the upper half of the top contenders, so she's certainly not lacking in terms of her planned content. I suppose given that now she's doing Rippon 2toes on some jumping passes, she did indeed update her technical content. Great interview Ted and Ashley!!!

Just generally speaking, it would be great to see more ladies doing 3-3 combos with a 3Lo as the second jump. I know they are commonly dinged for URs though...

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In fairness to Ashley wanting to have that "moment"--most people watching her at the Olympics won't have seen it before. I remember the first time I saw in on TV at the '15 Nationals and after Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" it was the my favorite program. So, as much as I am not excited to see a three-peat, it will work for the casual viewer. Also, Ashley isn't dumb; she knows she's probably not coming out of this with an individual medal. This Olympics is about getting the public to like her and make her marketable.

That's a really good thought; I hadn't considered it. I bet you're right, visibility, and a long-term focus.

BackSpiral

Rinkside
I also liked hearing Ashley saying she wouldn't be sticking around if she didn't think she could get on the podium. That's the spirit, aim high! Her work ethic and determination is very admirable.

MRani

On the Ice
I like how she just came out and said she wants to be National champion. That’s the attitude she needs to have instead of thinking she can just get by with top 3.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley, if you're reading this: try a green dress for the FS. Then you'd play the Green Fairy and not Satine this time, for a different spin on the musical choice.

No no no green is unlucky unless you WANT her to fall

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted did a great job with Ashley, asking all the things we'd like to know. She does do a great interview and is pretty self aware.

I'd like to see her in a variation of the Marissa Castelli sparkly halter dress for HHCC, but a different color, maybe a deep burgundy.

Loved what she said about Gracie and Mirai, too. Glad she and Gracie are much closer now than in the past.

YES! A burgundy dress - aged like fine wine. This would reflect her maturity and status among the ladies and fit with the I'll fly away piece.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She did them at Skate Canada last weekend.

If I were Ashley I wouldn't tip my hand this early with everything I was planning. I remember how she surprised us with the 3L-1/2L-3S.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:thank: for posting that! I remembered that, but I wasn't 100% positive enough to say so without looking it up, which, what with losing sleep, work, Halloween and other real life, I hadn't yet gotten around to.

the Wagner 3Lutz-3Loop. Love Scott's enthusiasm. I do miss his commentary.

sross43

Rinkside
Was anyone else hoping she was dropping hints that we could expect a Gracie comeback? She does have the inside scoop.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awww, baby Ashley! A whole decade ago! So young and naive with those over the boot tights that don’t match her skin tone at all. :laugh: I actually recall her making fun of her own teenage preference for over the boot tights in an Instagram video within the last year or two. ;)

:party: Awwww, baby Ashley indeed. :)

Yeah, I remember her making fun of that, too ... also of her braces.

Her ice presence is much more elegant and streamlined now. And always so well put together. :rock: