Music we're Tired of Hearing | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Music we're Tired of Hearing

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will listen to Les Mis and POTO every day for the rest of my life if doing so gets Max to the Olympics.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Definitely Carmen.........It's a great piece of music however, it's been done and well by several skaters. It's won an OGM and a World Championship.

Bolero......I love what people have done with it but, it's not the most exciting music and like Carmen, it's been done well and has been skated to in several Olympics and Worlds. Please find another Opera with a similar feel and start a new trend.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I will listen to Les Mis and POTO every day for the rest of my life if doing so gets Max to the Olympics.

Awww, karne :ghug:, your heartfelt devotion to Max is making me cry :sad4:.

Following your lead, I am willing to do the same as you.

And makes me happy that Max had success at Cup of China with music that he for years has wanted to skate to.

If I like a music I like it forever..How can I get tired of Carmen, Turandot, Sheherezade or Swan Lake? No, I never. Depend on the skaters, the performances I like the programs or not..

:agree:

I love Carmen especially. Will never tire of it.

musicfan80

Medalist
Any track of a classical piece of music that has a pop/dance club beat placed in the background. I hope I'm describing it correctly enough for you guys.

I am generally fine with Ed Sheeran. However, most of Sam Smith's songs make me want to scratch my eyes out. It's something with the tone of his singing voice.

My biggest figure skating music pet peeve BY FAR is when skaters skate to a soundtrack to a opera/musical/movie and it's obvious from the program that they never bothered to watch it. Or even look up what it was about on Wikipedia. This should be obvious, folks. I think that is the biggest problem with music that becomes warhorses/overused.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too many cover versions of "Hallelujah" have been around the past few seasons. I love the song, but I'm tired of hearing it (looking at you, Patrick and Sui/Han). Why not have someone skate to the original Leonard Cohen?

There are too many covers in FS in general, especially 80s pop songs such as "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." One of the few covers I did like was Ingrid Michaelson's "Can't Help Falling in Love" that Hubbell and Donahue skated to last season.

I love Turandot, but now I hear "Nessun Shoma" in my head now when others skate to it.

Definitely Carmen.........It's a great piece of music however, it's been done and well by several skaters. It's won an OGM and a World Championship.

I think that there is a reason why Carmen is a winner and a lot of other music is a loser. Skate to Carmen -- go for the gold!. Let the others skate to music that is off the beaten track. ;)

Last edited:

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
My “please, no more!!” list -

- Swan Lake - Boring, overdone to death, a mismatch for most skaters (Osmond...what were u thinking?!) or at best an underutilisation of talents (Zagi - although at least there is a unique storyline to her routine so hopefully she can rise to the occasion).

- Moulin Rouge - Not only is it now virtually Wagner’s Theme Song, but the screaming/howling/wailing is just bad on so many levels.

- Bolero - the poor music is exhausted, give it a rest for a decade of two!

- Send in the Clowns - if Yuna couldn’t sell it, that’s all that needs to be said.

- Les Mis, Imagine (just personal dislikes of mine)

- Great Gatsby soundtrack - I can’t believe how that got so overused so quickly, and also managed to tarnish any other piece ringing in a similar vein, it’s obviously quite an overachiever ;p

WarHorses that I don’t mind re-hearing - I must admit that I love Turandot and although it is synonymous for me with Shizuka, if someone can pull it off, then I’m all for them giving it a go. Carmen - yes I know virtually all hate it lol but I don’t think it is linked tightly enough with one skater in particular, and the fact that it is SO 80’s makes it interesting to compare a piece under this code to a performance by Thomas, etc. With Carmen though I feel the skater has to go “all in”, none of this “sneaking my own version of Carmen into the end of the music” thing. They’ve gotta be strong and own it.

Scherezade- an “iffy” one for me, skaters like Pogorilaya can pull it off well, but Higuchi (?) (Japanese in red?), Rochette? Absolute disservice to the music.

I think it comes down to the skater themselves, they’re got to be honest with themselves about why they’re taking on such a famous piece and ask if they really can do it justice or if it is indeed the best vehicle for them.

Amei

Record Breaker
My “please, no more!!” list -

- Swan Lake - Boring, overdone to death, a mismatch for most skaters (Osmond...what were u thinking?!) or at best an underutilisation of talents (Zagi - although at least there is a unique storyline to her routine so hopefully she can rise to the occasion).

- Moulin Rouge - Not only is it now virtually Wagner’s Theme Song, but the screaming/howling/wailing is just bad on so many levels.

- Bolero - the poor music is exhausted, give it a rest for a decade of two!

- Send in the Clowns - if Yuna couldn’t sell it, that’s all that needs to be said.

- Les Mis, Imagine (just personal dislikes of mine)

- Great Gatsby soundtrack - I can’t believe how that got so overused so quickly, and also managed to tarnish any other piece ringing in a similar vein, it’s obviously quite an overachiever ;p

WarHorses that I don’t mind re-hearing - I must admit that I love Turandot and although it is synonymous for me with Shizuka, if someone can pull it off, then I’m all for them giving it a go. Carmen - yes I know virtually all hate it lol but I don’t think it is linked tightly enough with one skater in particular, and the fact that it is SO 80’s makes it interesting to compare a piece under this code to a performance by Thomas, etc. With Carmen though I feel the skater has to go “all in”, none of this “sneaking my own version of Carmen into the end of the music” thing. They’ve gotta be strong and own it.

Scherezade- an “iffy” one for me, skaters like Pogorilaya can pull it off well, but Higuchi (?) (Japanese in red?), Rochette? Absolute disservice to the music.

I think it comes down to the skater themselves, they’re got to be honest with themselves about why they’re taking on such a famous piece and ask if they really can do it justice or if it is indeed the best vehicle for them.

I can't say I don't want to hear Send in the Clowns again because we'd lose the possibility of something like this happening https://goldenskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/tt58.jpg :laugh2:

Shandy

On the Ice
Send In the Clowns: Ugh.
Je Suis Malade: I am sad, I am very very sad—yeah, we get it! Show, don’t tell!
Anything Edith Piaf: She could give Stevie Nicks a run for her money with her bleating goat impression.
Carmen: Especially with vocals. No thanks!

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Swan Lake- is it a right of passage or something to have a swan lake program? Is the Illuminati involved in this? LOL
I love love love me some Chopin and I can't tire of hearing it, but I am tired of people skating to it.
I can't get tired of Turandot. Not yet. The Moulin Rouge stuff is quickly getting old. Like you haven't flown away yet?! Still?

NAOTMAA

Medalist
The old warhorses (Swan Lake, Tosca, Turandot, Carmen, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Phantom etc.) will never get old and I hope they never disappear :) They belong to fabric of skating tradition just as they are to the history of concert stage, opera and ballet :luv17:

Fans can moan about the repetitiveness, just as opera and ballet fans do :biggrin:, but their iconic and stay around for a reason :bow: Skating has their iconic Carmen's and Rachmaninovs just as ballet as their great Giselle's and operas their Violettas'. And of course there is much more :cool:

But I have yet to encounter a Moulin Rouge program that I liked and I doubt I ever will :slink::slink: and Les Mis. is really hit and miss

Eeyora

Final Flight
Forgot to mention “Send in The Clowns” I don’t care how beautifully choreographed it it. I hate the song. Always did!

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Forgot to mention “Send in The Clowns” I don’t care how beautifully choreographed it it. I hate the song. Always did!

Yuna Kim's version is the only tolerable one for me haha the other versions are insufferable :disagree:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Send in the clowns with vocals is a no. But I think Yuna's was really lovely- the key was the purely instrumental music and the beautiful cello sounds.

The interesting thing about so many of these warhorses is that I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't all use the same cuts of music.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I detest Ed Sheerans song that keeps repeating "I'm in love with your body".

I mostly just detest Ed Sheerans music in general... :scard7:

(I'm sure he's a lovely person but his music is not for me).

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
SWAN LAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SWAN LAKE
oh and
SWAN LAKE

SITC
Lion King
Scheherazade
POTO
Carmen

Tulipstar

Medalist
POTO and Papa can you hear me.
Especially that second song annoys me.

And I was tired of Lala Land by the end of the Junior Grand Prix.

There's so much music in this world, so I don't understand why some pieces are being used constantly, while there are literally millions of other choices.