What if you... (politics/voting advice) | Golden Skate

What if you... (politics/voting advice)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What if you are in a major election year (ie like we are now) and you have a democrat vs a republican for the senate seat...

This is my first year I get to vote (yeay me!:laugh: ) and I'm already not sure what I want to do. my dad is no help because I have to make the decision on my own. Technically I can write anyone I want on the ballot (like I could nominate my dad) but I'm wondering if when I'm voting I can just leave that blank?

I mean I know that if I don't vote I can't complain when one wins out over the other and then the power of the senate swings one way or the other... but really I don't see either one as really great for the country much less our state...

Tony Knowles (D) is not a push over... and the only reason--I believe--he's getting help from the national convention is so that they can get the senate back into democrat power(ok that's a brief overview of why I think they're helping) he didn't back Gore in 2000 (after Gore and Clinton messed with Alaska the way they did Knowles wasn't all that happy with his party) and I'm not sure if he's really for Kerry either. He knows Bush, and likes him, so that's a plus. And Erin(best friend of me) is friends of his family... so that's also a plus... but not on a political level. I've met him and he's very nice.

Lisa Murkowski (R) was appointed by her father after he was elected Governor(he's been our senator for I don't know how long) when no one else would take teh job. Alaskan's were pissed that he did that, but whatever. She is NOT as conservative as her father... and doesn't vote for a lot of the things(or against) that I would like her to. However neither would knowles... so I'm in a bit of a problem... who do I vote for... if we could mesh the two of them I'd vote for the mesh(oh wait, that would be Lisa's dad LOL)

so help! what are my options?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Toni of course I would like to be able just to tell you to....VOTE FOR THE DEMOCRAT, LOL. I would make a list of good and bad about each and see who has the most good points (in your opinion). Then I would think about what each candidate's election could mean as far as tne balance of power in the senate. I think that is what you are trying to do anyway, so you probably didin't need me to tell you that. Talk to people who's opinion you respect. Ultimately the decision is yours. I wish everyone would take their voting privilages as seriously as you are. Congrats on your first election and good luck.

OK, if you really can't decide, take the plunge, come over to the light, and vote for the Democrat. :D

bronxgirl

Medalist
Just remember one thing Toni, if you Don't vote, don't complain. There will never be the perfect candidate. Everyone you will ever vote for will have positions you don't agree with, so read as much about each as you can, and try to take the Democrat (oops, meant to say the closest) position to your own :laugh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
You can leave as many blank as you want. I usually have a bunch of blanks. Kind of like my mind. :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, I think it is such a privilege to vote. I vote in every election because I believe it is my responsibility to do so. This year I have done a lot of research on candidates to make the best choice in the Presidential election, even if I have to cross to the other side.

Dee

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Toni,

Please avoid any subliminal advertising that shadyrepublicansbushcheneypeople may use to try and sway your vote....stay strongdemocratkerryedwardsforAmerica!

There is a big difference between the candidates.

I'm voting for the democrat. I don't think he will win but I am still giving my support.

Joe

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I have long come to the realization that I will NEVER find a candidate that is 100% in line with my beliefs and wishes in terms of policies that are important to me. Once I've identifed those issues that are most important to me, I look at the candidates in question to see where they line up with my issues. Hopefully someone emerges that lines up with many of the things that are most important to me.

But even more importantly, I look at their overall voting history and success on whatever committees they have served. Or if they're a first time policitician I'll look at their business/professional background to get a sense of how they approach problem-solving and their success rate in meeting their goals. Because at the end of the day, it's important to get a candidate that has the ability to affect change. You can have the most idealistic candidate in the world that you agree with on every issue, but if they don't have the tools and connections to see their vision come to reality, then there's no point putting them in office.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh: You are being bad, Piel. I'm not confused on the presidency... I know who I'm voting for there ;) It's just that both of the senate people vote the same on issues I don't agree with that it's frustrating...

Knowles' big thing is he says he can do better for Alaska because he's democrat and they'll listen to him. But being as how he'd be a junior senator, and he's from Alaska, AND he wasn't a supporter for thier candidate in teh last presidential election I don't see where he gets the idea that it's just going to fall out of the sky and ANWR will open (he's the only Dem. I know that's for it) while Murkowski blames him for the 8.1% unemployment that we suffered while he was Governor. Nevermind the fact that Clinton/Gore signed our death sentence on that and we're just now starting to pull back up. so both are saying stuff that isn't adding up

maybe I'll write in my dog for senator... she'd be the best candidate! :laugh:

their both so close on the issues that I dunno... they're having a debate next week... maybe I'll go to that and see if I can make a decision from there... but it's going to be so anti-republican on campus that I probably shouldn't bother...

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Here's another thought for you, Toni. The last time this country had a surplus and a great economy (I'm talking the whole country, I don't know Jack about Alaska's economy) we had a president and a congress from two different parties. There had to be compromise for anything to get done. So if you think Bush is going to win (God forbid, but I'm still glad you're voting), then you might want to vote for the Democrat. If you think Kerry will win, then give the vote to the Republican and female. Generally, if I like two candidates equally, I vote for the woman or for a "minority" candidate. There are many moderate female Republicans ( and a couple men, McCain and Hagel come to mind). It does bother me that she was appointed by her dad.

Oh, heck, I'm just rambling now. Make the list and decided from there.....

Laura :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
alaska's econ. was greatly effected (negatively) with Clinton vetoing anything and everything regarding oil research or wildlife in Alaska. They closed off our own state to US and it caused a lot of people to lose their job(my dad didn't lose it, but his job was effected by it, and then it ultimately went under in 1996, and he was on min. wage until after 2000) I could rant on and on about what the Clinton/Gore administration did to Alaska... and it effected how Knowles could govern the state... which like I said Murkowski is now blaming all on Tony Knowles, which blows my mind. Then again he blames one of the bills not being passed this year because of her because she didn't "fight hard enough" like it was ALL her fault. It's getting to be pretty petty...

I dunno....

Antilles

Medalist
Toni, debates are interesting to see, and I'd recommend going. However, if you're looking for candidates real opinions, this isn't really the place to find them. Candidates usually stick to party lines and bashing one another at these things. The incumbent is usually the most heavily hit, because they have a recent record that can be beat up. Both parties will stack the audience with their staunch supporters to ensure they get a lot of loud applause. Candidates also like to have "plants" in the audience. A supposed general menber of the public will ask a question to really sock it to one of the candidates, and make their own candiate look good. I've worked on a couple of political campaigns, and the politcking is disgusting, so I won't be doing any more of it.

I won't tell you which way to vote, and I can understand how you'd be upset with the Clinton/Gore administration. However, not all Democrats are the same, and punishing a party for it's past could potentially be "cutting off your nose to spite your face". There may be a time when the Democrats really would be your best choice, and you don't want to vote for the other party simply because you are holding a grudge. Both parties have done alot of good and bad things, and you need to look towards the future, instead of being wholly focussed on the past.

You do have a tough choice ahead of you. It is an important responsibility, and I'm glad you are taking it seriously.

I acutlaly once heard George Carlin say the people who DO vote shouldn't be allowed to complain, because they keep voting in the idiots. Interesting thought, but I'd still rather vote.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Welcome to the wide world of politics, where black is white and red versus blue all equals mud in the end. Having said that, remember that people died for the right to vote, and it is too precious a right to give up just because the candidates aren't quite what you want. The other option is for you to become active in politics, and try to help candidates that reflect your world view. (and remember blue is the best color in this election :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
You've done a lot of research on the candidates. Good for you!
If half the people who vote thought about it that much the world would be a different place.
I would go to the debate if I were you. It's a rare opportunity to see how the system works and to get a live look at the candidates. Who cares if you are in the political minority?
I personally prefer candidates who are "issue oriented" rather than idealogues and who look for solutions that transcend liberal or conservative positions.
It shows they actually think about it. For example, what's good for the country might not be good for Alaska. Look for the candidate who can articulate those issues.
By all means consider a write-in but make sure the person is eligible for the office or they will invalidate the vote.
Vote early and vote often.

Toni - The big thing in Alaska is the clean environment that produces such wonderful scenery and wildlife. There is plenty of resources there beside oil. the fishing industry is the best in the world.

But it is OIL what the Republicans want to screw up this northern paradise. Billionaires beget billionaires. The pipelines and the drilling will only further the disruption of a screwed up world already in existence. What a mess, but no matter, if one doesn't live there one can enjoy the results and live in a nice Texas environment away from all/oil that.

Joe

Toni, JMO, but I personally don't see anything wrong with writing in a protest candidate if you think both of the major candidates stink. Like any vote, maybe just one person expressing this few won't help much, but if enough people did it, it could make a difference.

Then after the election you could write to the winner and say, I couldn't vote for you in this election because of your position on this, this and this issue. If you want my support in the next election, I hope you will rethink these issues.

MM

sk8m8

Final Flight
I condur, Toni...it is every American's right to vote for whom they choose. If you want to write your Dad's name in, that is your choice. You would not believe the amount of votes that Mickey Mouse gets EVERY presidential election. To further what the previous poster said, you may vote for someone you really admire, let's say either John McCain or Wesley Clark becuase those are candidates that people on either side of the isle seem to respect. If you write in that persons name and write a respectful letter basically saying what was said by the previous poster and include... "I wrote this person's name in because THIS is the kind of person who represents my opinions/beleifs/values.

It is my personal opinion that both parties are pretty much the same and create this air of bickering and fighting. They may say they disagree, but all seem to beholden to some special interest, and often times it's the SAME special interest. For instance, before Enron went belly up they had made only slightly more donations to the Republicans than they did to the Democrats. Who ever has money will use it for access to whomever is in power.

It would be interesting to me if we had a "Plural Democracy" where we had 5-6 different parties that would have to compromise and work together for ANYONE to get the majority...i.e. the yellow, green and blue parties have to work and agree to get a majority. In that way we don't have two parties that are basically A) the people who are already in (whatever party they may be); or, B) the people who want to take their jobs so that they can be in power (once again, can be either) It works in other countries. I wish we'd just get over our egoist selves and realize that, while America is a WONDERFUL place, but it is truely arrogant to believe that we can't learn something from some other peoples. We can borrow good ideas and make them work for our country. But I'll believe that's coming when I see Pat Buchanan and Ted Kennedy down by the campfire singing Kumbaya with no alcohol in sight :\

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
Canada has four parties, and I don't think our system works any better than yours. Of course, we are also a parliamentary system.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Toni - The big thing in Alaska is the clean environment that produces such wonderful scenery and wildlife. There is plenty of resources there beside oil. the fishing industry is the best in the world.

But it is OIL what the Republicans want to screw up this northern paradise. Billionaires beget billionaires. The pipelines and the drilling will only further the disruption of a screwed up world already in existence. What a mess, but no matter, if one doesn't live there one can enjoy the results and live in a nice Texas environment away from all/oil that.

Joe

ANWR happens to be very small... not only that the pipeline has helped the northern caribou herds live out the nasty winters... for something to bad the environment seems to like it.

The media wants you to think we're drilling up all of Alaska... MOST of the Alaska you see as scenic is NOT where the oil is... ANWR is a bunch of frozen wasteland. while important it's not the picturesque scenes Dan Rather loves showing when saying how horrible we are for wanting to open it.

the fish industry is being destroyed by the people like the Clinton administration who put strict rules that makes it almost impossible. I'm well aware of what ANWR and what our state holds... fishing has been down in the areas that I live in, I have many friends in teh commercial fishing business and hear their sides, and they are different than what a lot of political talking heads say. Funny how that works :rolleyes:

I'm not saying drill up the entire state... I'm saying let us explore ANWR...

and being as how both candidates are for ANWR that really doesn't help my dilema

One criticism that parliamentary democracies often make of the American system is this: Evey four years we elect a dictator. That is, the President has too much power, and typically just runs roughshod over all attempts at advice and consent and checks and ballances. No one person all by himself should be able to plunge the nation, indeed the world, into war.

MM