Backloading: What should ISU do? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Backloading: What should ISU do?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sure, maybe some longer stretches of choreography are towards the earlier parts of the program. But I also think you underestimate what you can actually do in between jumps.

I think the main problem is that there are 7 jumping passes and 2 spins in around 2:00 of Alina's long program. The first spin is around 0:10 and the final one is almost 0:20, so those 7 jumping passes occur in about 1:30. She does nice choreography and transitions between the jumps, but that second half is really all about jump set-ups. Personally, I like her LP but I think the criticism of it not being well balanced is legitimate.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think the main problem is that there are 7 jumping passes and 2 spins in around 2:00 of Alina's long program. The first spin is around 0:10 and the final one is almost 0:20, so those 7 jumping passes occur in about 1:30. She does nice choreography and transitions between the jumps, but that second half is really all about jump set-ups. Personally, I like her LP but I think the criticism of it not being well balanced is legitimate.

I wasn't talking about her FS - I'm not a huge fan of it anyway and consider her SP better. But one bad example doesn't mean the concept is wrong. That is faulty logic.

In general, I think that you should only do 1 spin at the end, not 2.

It's the simplest thing...there should be no deduction for backloading itself. There is no problem for backloading...however, if you can do it (props to you not a lot of people can) and the program is built around that bonus, your Composition PCS score should be a -1 deduction.

Give with one hand, take away with the other. :) Why should there be an automatic deduction in Composition? If the judges don't like the composition, they can give a 9 instead of a 10 all on their own. If they do like the composition, backloading and all, so be it.

skatenewbie

Medalist
the popular composition of a program that i know

put 2-3 jumps first
spins and maybe chore seq
rest of jumps
stsq in the end with the spins

or

2-3 jumps pass
spin
stsq
rest jumps pass
spins and chsq

or the backload

stsq+spin+ maybe 1 jumps
6/7 jumps
spin

only a few in seniors that actually do more than 2+5. Evgenia tried 1+6 but even she changed it back to 2+5, in juniors though middle to top skaters do 1+6 or even 0+7. but as a user mention Zayak rule there because only Zayak do that hence the name, so im ok if ISU restrict the number of jumps to backload. but if they didn't do anything im not mad either

This actually looked like a good discussion. But the red writing was too hard for me poor old eyes to read. :(