Hanyu injured at practice for NHK | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu injured at practice for NHK

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, that's totally uncalled for. :disagree: There are plenty of great skaters here - Dima, Deniss, Sergei, Michal, Adam, etc.

It has zero skaters I enjoy watching if Hanyu and Chan aren't participating. It's just my opinion.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It has zero skaters I enjoy watching if Hanyu and Chan aren't participating. It's just my opinion.

That's fair but, you must realize that there are skaters like Adam and Jason who are fighting to get on the Olympic team. A strong finish here will help a skater should there be a tie or close placement at Nationals. It will be Keegan's chance to shine as he will be replacing Patrick. If Keegan were to bring the house down, it will help him build momentum going into Nationals. If something serious keeps Patrick off the team, Canada will need Keegan if they hope to do well in the team event. Lastly, some of these Men are debuting their programs and the feedback they receive will be valuable in this tension filled season.

Remember, a skater like Deniss V. has very little competition in his country and he needs this opportunity to skate against the men he will be fighting to get on the podium in Korea. I would guess that Alexei B. has a relatively easy road to win Nationals but, he needs to be prepared for what the rest of the field will be doing and the sooner he finds out, the better.

noskates

Record Breaker
First of all, I sincerely hope Yuzu isn't seriously hurt. I don't want to see any skater damage themselves. But - this is going to keep happening and keep happening if these young men continue to push the technical envelope. WHY should it be necessary to keep adding quads to a program? I'm starting to think there should be a Zayak rule addressing the number of quads. That would leave training time for some of these guys to perfect their skating skills other than jumping. Maybe we would see more well-rounded programs and get back to what figure skating IMO should be - a combination of grace and athleticism......and fewer injuries.

I think it's kind of sad that a person would watch figure skating ONLY for 2 people. There are so many talented skaters out there - particularly in an Olympic year when every skate counts.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no!! Poor Yuzu! I hope it isn't serious and in Olympic season too! :(

Fingers crossed for him!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Unfortunately, that'll just water down this Men's GP event even further. First Chan withdrew and if Hanyu does as well, it's barely even worth watching.

Everyone has their own favourites. Skaters that matter the most are not always the same as yours. It is one thing to be open and actively exchange opinions, but there are still certain things which are the best and the wisest to keep to yourself.
Each skater strives to excel every day for years, to a degree that is beyond your imagination - which deserves respect and recognition.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
First of all, I sincerely hope Yuzu isn't seriously hurt. I don't want to see any skater damage themselves. But - this is going to keep happening and keep happening if these young men continue to push the technical envelope. WHY should it be necessary to keep adding quads to a program? I'm starting to think there should be a Zayak rule addressing the number of quads. That would leave training time for some of these guys to perfect their skating skills other than jumping. Maybe we would see more well-rounded programs and get back to what figure skating IMO should be - a combination of grace and athleticism......and fewer injuries.

Now and again, Patrick Chan's words of a few months ago regarding quads keep coming back to me. He was right.

Icey

Record Breaker
looks worst than it is, I think. He knows how to protect himself when such a fall occurs. As Henie put it, fall like a rope.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Everyone has their own favourites. Skaters that matter the most are not always the same as yours. It is one thing to be open and actively exchange opinions, but there are still certain things which are the best and the wisest to keep to yourself.
Each skater strives to excel every day for years, to a degree that is beyond your imagination - which deserves respect and recognition.

This. I am personally most excited to see the battle between Jason and Adam. Five "top ten" US men and only three Oly spots makes each head to head critical!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It will have an effect on that battle too. Jason and Adam could now finish higher at NHK than they otherwise might have, placing them above Max (though probably not Nathan) in the GPF hunt.

If Fernandez doesn't withdraw from France, Max and Vincent could be at a severe disadvantage.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yuzuru failed to land a quadruple Luts during practice and he injured his right ankle and knee. But his injuries are not serious enough to require hospital treatment. Yuzuru will resume practicing as soon as the inflammation is gone and he is preparing to participate in the competition. He could win a medal without too many quadruple jumps at this year's NHK Trophy and he should skip the quadruple Luts.

The knee is a fickle thing though. An NFL team had a player go down with a season ending knee injury and it's widely believed that he had injured the knee 5 days earlier in a game, what he did in practice was just the final nail in the coffin.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Summary of news translation by YHIFG FB

Nikkan Sports news (Nov 10): According to Briand Ghislain, Yuzu will attend the morning practice today as there is no swelling this morning. Decision whether to compete or not will be made after 30min of practice.

Yahoo article (Nov 10): Briand said Yuzu had fever on Nov 8, that's why he rested on that day. He and Yuzu also talked about how NHK Trophy leading up to GPF is important but the critical thing is the Olympics.

Yahoo article (Nov 10): Hanyu is proceeding with adjustments, with the intention to participate. The parts that were hurt were the right ankle and knee. In lieu of going to the hospital, he was diagnosed by the team doctor. He skipped the evening conference, and in face of the competition the following day, continued with icing and other treatments. If the swelling has receded by the morning of the 10th, then he will attend the morning official practice, and make the final decision then.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All emoji's fail to capture this feeling .............

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I know he probably wants to defend his GPF title but I hope he doesn't unnecessarily hurt himself more by participating if he shouldn't. The Olympics are the most important thing for him skating wise, missing the rest of the Grand Prix wouldn't hurt his reputation.

Get well soon Yuzuru!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, so much voodoo around our three multiple-world champs.