Sui and Han dominate pairs in Osaka | Golden Skate

Sui and Han dominate pairs in Osaka

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sui Wenjing and Han Cong picked up their second ISU Grand Prix gold medal in a one-week span, winning the 2017 NHK Trophy on Saturday in Osaka. Just seven days after the Chinese pairs team claimed the title at Cup of China, they returned to the ice and broke the world record with a 155.10 free skate to earn a 234.54 combined score.

More...

“I’m very happy about today’s performance,” Han said. “In the previous tournaments, we didn’t do that well. We have great support from the audience, and we could hear them cheering us, and we appreciate that. I don’t feel like we established a world record. Maybe later I will be able to understand the magnitude.”
“Compared to our previous competitions, we did much better than before,” Klimov said. “We are happy about going to the Grand Prix Final. Last year I skipped the Grand Prix, so the fact I am back I am very happy. I will strictly control my schedule and make sure I am in top form.”
“At the NHK Trophy, there is a high level of competition,” Rogonov acknowledged. “We need to travel a long way from Russia to here. That can be hard, and my partner Kristina is not feeling well because of that.”

What are your thoughts on the Pairs event?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I haven't had a chance to see the FS yet (making my way over there!) but I love Stolbova and Klimov and Sui and Han's SPs! It's really nice to see Stolbova and Klimov back at their usual speed -- they have so much power! Sui and Han was fantastic as always!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
S/K really need to work on those side by side 3T+3T. They struggled at both events on these. Earlier they were using a 3T+2T+2T which was clean at Finlandia.

Sui/Han are really growing on me! It's not lost on me that they are skating to Turandot, although theirs was choreographed by Nichol, while Shen/Zhao's (2003) was done by Lee Ann Miller. I found that while good, both this year and last year's LPs were a bit melancholic for them.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sui/Han are the best pair out there these days. Their programs are not as good, a clear step down from what they had last season. The depth and emotional torment of "Hallelujah" is not found within the choreography of their SP, it doesn't feel authentic. Their LP to "Turandot" is similarly generic, failing to capture the highest highs of the music and all of the contours.

One day left on my very brief full retirement. I look forward to working again(part time)! My husband would rather lose me to work than my obsession over figure skating. I think he's right!i only posted for the first time last week and am feeling addicted already. But I have to work, I want to work! If anything to avoid being caught in this web! 😂
I can't believe anyone could say Sui Han are not special or whatever compared to past programs. All their programs are outstanding. In my opinion this year they are showing a level beyond theatrics, a quality and sincerity of true pair skating, equal to each other so much that true unity is the shining force. The short has the conflicting emotions of love in turmoil.Their Turandot is unique and grabs the icy princess and the desperate love of the prince by the throat. What interests me is why some people don't want to see and feel it. I see it like a relationship when after initial crazy passion, all the show, is left aside and the pure self is revealed. And the feeling that love prevails without the mask. Raw anger. Raw desire. Real love left standing in the end. No gimmicks takes courage, confidence in quality. Even if I'm imagining things, what's clear is a physical and emotional unison unlike any other. I LOVE pair skating. I respect all the partnerships so much. But that's the point maybe. They are all excellent partnerships. But Sui Han to me are more than a partnership. They are, um, oy, what is it? they don't do things because the other makes it happen. All teams do that. Beyond their technical wow isvridiculous unison, they are somehow a greater whole than if just skating with the other.oh brother I can't explain it. I love Stolbova and Zklimov, she is crazy good. He looks in pain, like he's surviving yet I adore them. They have something special in my eyes. Maybe their even skating now is s form of winning. T and M I can't understand yet. So fast so good , an example of a great partnership. And so adorable, both of them. Their naïveté is charming, but not accomplished. He is so darn cute when his cheeks get crazy red! But adorable and clean lis not in the same world as Sui Han. Aliona is so good it is crazy and Bruno has worked so hard. But he is still a large wooden accompanist. I hate dissecting like this because they are all so good brave and amazing. But if a decision has to be made, for me Sui Han are all that is right about pair skating, old system new system, future system.
And now I sound as righteous as every other response. I really need to work. 🤣🤣🤣