Quote of the Day - October | Golden Skate

Quote of the Day - October

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 1st

My goal is to someday be the person my dog thinks I am.
-- Author Unknown

4dk - boy do I understand this quote and when you really think about it - this is not a bad goal, in some cases unattainable but all in all, not a bad goal.

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 2nd

To err is human; to refrain from laughing, humane.
-- Lane Olinghouse

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
October 3rd

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
October 3

I'd just as soon play tennis with the net down.
- Robert Frost

Here's a couple more:

You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
- Wayne Gretzky

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
- Wayne Gretzky

Okay, it's a little "overkill" here with quotes, but I could not restist this one:

When I go out on the ice, I just think about my skating. I forget it is a competition.
- Katarina Witt

Last edited:

JOHIO2

Medalist
OK, it's afternoon and no quote! So here goes:

Whenever you start to say that you "should" do something, or worse yet, that "they should" do something, just stop it....You either will or you won't, and whatever "they" do is beyond your puny controls anyway..
Sharon Fiffer, in "The Wrong Stuff"

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 5th

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Rich Cook

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 6th

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are, and what they ought to be.
-- William Hazlitt

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
October 7th

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates (469 BC - 399 BC)

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 8th

My life has no purpose...my life has no direction...no aim...no meaning...and yet I'm happy...I can't figure it out...What am I doing right?
-- Charles Schulz

October 9th

The cause of liberty becomes a mockery if the price to be paid is the wholesale destruction of those who are to enjoy liberty.
-- Mohandas Gandhi

4dk

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
October 10th

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 11th Columbus Day (Observed USA*)

When he (Columbus) started out he didn't know where he was going, when he got there he didn't know where he was, and when he got back he didn't know where he had been. — Anonymous.

4dk
Columbus Day
Over the following decades, the Knights of Columbus, an international Roman Catholic fraternal benefit society, lobbied state legislatures to declare October 12 a legal holiday. Colorado was the first state to do so on April 1, 1907. New York declared Columbus Day a holiday in 1909 and on October 12, 1909, New York Governor Charles Evans Hughes led a parade that included the crews of two Italian ships, several Italian-American societies, and legions of the Knights of Columbus. Since 1971 Columbus Day, designated as the second Monday in October, has been celebrated as a federal holiday. In many locations across the country Americans parade in commemoration of the day.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
October 14th

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.
Steven Wright (1955 - )

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 14th

Today is the 938th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. The outcome of this battle changed the destiny of Europe, the Middle East, Asia and eventually Africa, North and South America.

History is a pact between the dead, the living, and the yet unborn."
-- Edmund Burke

For more information, please visit this splendid site

While Battle Abbey is not usually on everyone's list of places to visit while in England, it is a bit touristy but jam packed with historical information.

Visit this site for more information on Battle Abbey, East Sussex, England

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 15th

In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone, somewhere is having fun with a computer on company time. Networks help alleviate that fear.
John C. Dvorak

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 16th

I'm not dumb, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
-- Bill Watterson

October 17th

A signature always reveals a man's character - and sometimes even his name.
-- Evan Esar

4dk

Last edited:

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 18th

We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
-- Ambrose Bierce

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 19th

If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee -- that will do them in.
Bradley's Bromide

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 20th

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance.
-- Akhenaton

4dk