eteri´s technique | Golden Skate

eteri´s technique

russianfan

Match Penalty
seems like nobody knows why it's bad...
it's just bad, you know... and her school is doomed. that's all you need to know :biggrin:

Purv

Match Penalty
what is her technique for jumping? also why does people say she has bad technique?

She teach her pupils how to cheat :biggrin: Maybe,not how to cheat, but how to hide it when you re not doing it properly. How i love those lutzes from a turn :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
A new thread where some posters can bash Eteri , Evgenia, Alina etc..I'm tired of it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
A new thread where some posters can bash Eteri , Evgenia, Alina etc..I'm tired of it.

So am I.......Her record speaks for itself. If people really want to know about Eteri, they can search the internet and find all the information they need. This has been discussed on GS ad nauseam.

Purv

Match Penalty

Noone is bashed. People has brain and eyes. Let people think what they want. Poster asked a question , I answered

moriel

Record Breaker
what is her technique for jumping? also why does people say she has bad technique?

Basically...
Well, eteri has quite a few pupils, and with quite a range of different techniques. For example, Polina Tsurskaya has quite good jumps and is a student of Eteri.
A few of Eteri's students have... well, not bad, but average technique - jumps on the smaller side and not very effortless.
Overall, she seems to be getting better over the years, i think, and her younger students are pretty decent in the jump department.
Many of the Eteri students are highly sucessful, which upsets many fans of other skaters, who can get nasty.
Very few coaches actually can teach good jump technique, and few skaters can actually do it, i think, but since Eteri has many top students (for example, 5 out of 6 girls in JGPF are eteri's students. On senior level, Medvedeva, Zagitova and Tsurskaya), it looks like "omg Eteri has tons of students with average technique" - people dont notice that there is same if not bigger % of skaters with bad jump technique that are not among eteri's students.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
people dont notice that there is same if not bigger % of skaters with bad jump technique that are not among eteri's students.

Good point. Most skaters have mediocre to poor jump technique. Only a select few have good technique. Tuktamysheva and Tsurskaya come to mind for the Russians. One of them actually is Eteri's student - Not very many coaches can even say that one of their ladies has excellent jumping technique. Wakaba Higuchi also tends to have good technique overall. I'm sure there are some more examples but these just come to mind here. Also, some skaters are better at some jumps than the others - That is something perfectly natural as well.

Something we also need to realize is that Eteri's more of a "second stage" coach and is generally not the one who'd initially be doing the teaching of the jump technique to the students. But as she also has Tsurskaya who does have excellent technique, it's not like she also actively forces her skaters to jump with poor technique.

Eclair

Medalist
Eteri's skaters use a flawed jumping technique (vs. for example Mishin's students, who have very good jumping technique). They use arms more in jumping, which is a technique known to destabilize once a girl hits puberty. Also, most of her students often flutzes, while for example Elizaveta has an excellent lutz.

The jumps Eteri's student do are visible not very high. They can afford that, partially because part of their technique is pre-rotation + very fast rotation (again more suitable for pre-puberty girls and something post-puberty girls will have problems with).
See this example:
Example 1: https://imgflip.com/gif/1z33cw
Example 2: https://imgflip.com/gif/1z309v

the big pro's of Eteri's jumping technique is consistency. Her students rarely fall. Personally I'm no fan of her teachings, as I really dislike pre-rotation (You shouldn't just do 2.25 rotations in the air and still be able to call it a triple with 2+ GOE) and also I think take-off edges are important (flutz vs. lutz and Lip vs. Flip).

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I disagree with what a couple of posters have said: Tsurskaya's jumps do NOT have a good technique, not at all! :shocked: Just because her jumps are high and very pleasant to watch doesn't mean that she has good technique, it's simply a wonderful natural talent of hers: on the contrary, the fact that she tends to underrotate them shows that she doesn't rotate fast enough, so she doesn't take advantage of her exceptional height as she could. In addition to that, her use of the arms and flip edge are other visible blemishes that prevent me from agreeing with those who say she has a good technique. (An excellent combination of great height and great technique that shows how Polina's jumps should be is that of Kaetlyn's jumps: those are really great ones technique-wise!)
Most of Eteri's students do not have a good technique I'm afraid (but I feel we should all define what we mean by "good technique" before having this discussion), but it's not disastrous and, most of all, it's extremely consistent. The problem is, as others have pointed out, that the use of the arms in jumping and the extensive amount of pre-rotation makes it difficult for them to survive puberty.
(On a comparative basis, other examples of good technique apart from Kaetlyn are obviously Kostner and Yu-Na)

moriel

Record Breaker
Ummm Osmond has edge issues on Lutz, so i would not bring her as example of good technique.
"the fact that she tends to underrotate them" - when how? She didnt get a single UR call this year.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Ummm Osmond has edge issues on Lutz, so i would not bring her as example of good technique.

Osmond also prerotates on the toepick for flip and lutz just like the Eteri girls that get criticized for it. She truly is the worst counterexample to use - She's the same.