Can France have a nice ice rink? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can France have a nice ice rink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

all that

Final Flight
Last year, there was so much water on ice during TEB event.

This year again, on my CBC feed, it shows workers have to push water outside the rink.

What a joke.

Things will turn around once P/C win Olympic gold. Skating and the Federation will get money and attention again, and things will turn around.

Ame

Final Flight
I feel ashamed of my country now. :(. Worse, Grenoble is where I'm studying *facepalm*.
I can't go to the event because I have to go back to my parents' house this weekend.
FS isnt popular in France but still...

brightphoton

Medalist
lol what?

I can't find the news article, but the France event used to be sponsored by Eric Bompard. People from Eric Bompard emailed the GP France organizers for weeks about something, but there was no response ... so Eric Bompard stopped sponsoring them.

Oh here, I found it.

http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61315-Why-Trophee-Eric-Bompard-is-no-longer

Bompard: In 2014, the Trophée was forced to leave Paris, as the arena was undergoing major construction. We moved to Bordeaux. We understood and accepted (it). The arena was not ready on time, and it was empty. Then in 2015, they said it would be held in Bordeaux again, although the Paris arena had reopened. The competition was cancelled halfway (through), after the terrorist attacks in Paris -- except all the funds we had given were not cancelled at all! None of it came back to us.
Throughout last spring, we tried to figure out whether the Trophée would take place at all in 2016, after these two years. We inquired with the French federation. I suppose that people then were focusing on the ISU elections (where Didier Gailhaguet, the president of the French Federation of Ice Sports, was one of the candidates). Nothing came back. We wrote at the start of the summer to say that it was more than time for us to make our own decision and commitment. We got no answer. We couldn't wait any longer, so I decided that we had done our time.

Icenetwork: So you won't sponsor skating anymore?
Bompard: Everything has to come to an end, I suppose. I have no regrets, except the process itself. The pain won't last, but all this could have happened in a much better way.
It's not worth doing all we did to be left out the way we were. Yet don't get mistaken: I really hope that the Grand Prix of France meets with great success. Such a competition is really difficult to organize, and I do hope that it is a real success for everyone. It won't be us anymore, but I may switch my TV set to see the event.
It's tough to pass on after something you've loved with passion. We've done it, and we've done it well. The stitches are still quite new -- now we need time to put order into our files and put them aside.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/11/07/208026636

Manitou

Medalist
The GPF was also a disaster last year with plastic medals, no banquet, and at least one instance of skaters having to share a bed(!). What has to be done to get a GP moved somewhere new? They can't keep their sponsors so isn't it time to give another country a chance?

Maybe look deeper? If there are no sponsors so maybe try to find out why? Maybe the reason are in the stiff discipline itself? Maybe modernize it a bit? Try to make it appeal to a bigger audience? Try to attract money? Isn't $25,000 for the first place an insult? Maybe increase competitiveness and media appeal? Loosen up stiff rules? Being less elitist maybe?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Well I think everyone needs a good wake up call.

You know why they lost the sponsor ? Because the second part of the event was cancelled in 2015 and I think one part might have been sued. It was cancelled because of the terrorists attacks. 130 deads, they HAD to cancel the event. French government didn't want it to happened. Bompard however wanted his money no matter what. It wasn't only a "geography issue" as Bompard said. They lost a lot in 2015, well he did.
That's how it is. They might get their mojo back after Olympics, but not having a sponsor is NOT easy.

And for those blaming the ladies competition to be a disaster with the "poor ice", well I'm guessing every event had poor ice since the ladies kept messing up at every GP. Dance was fine.

Ender

Match Penalty
Well I think everyone needs a good wake up call.

You know why they lost the sponsor ? Because the second part of the event was cancelled in 2015 and I think one part might have been sued. It was cancelled because of the terrorists attacks. 130 deads, they HAD to cancel the event. French government didn't want it to happened. Bompard however wanted his money no matter what. It wasn't only a "geography issue" as Bompard would. They lost a lot in 2015, well he did.
That's how it is. They might get their mojo back after Olympics, but not having a sponsor is NOT easy.

And for those blaming the ladies competition to be a disaster with the "poor ice", well I'm guessing every event had poor ice since the ladies kept messing up at every GP. Dance was fine.
The last time I remember, Bompard said French fed didn’t reply their emails no matter what.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
The last time I remember, Bompard said French fed didn’t reply their emails no matter what.

Oh French Fed has its part in it and a big one. But this is a 2-way issue.
It's just that everytime people criticise the french GP for not having a sponsor following the cancellation of 2015, it reminds me of that night, and I get angry. Like it was just that easy.

lappo

Final Flight
I think that the deplacement of the competition from Paris is a mistake. Yes, maybe they are sparing some of the organizing costs but they should also consider that the city is much more reachable than others for fans that come from other countries. Plus, it is maybe easier to trick people who come from afar with the idea that they can go for a stroll on the Champs Elysée than with whatever options smaller cities have. Paris is a great capital full of culture, famous worldwide for the shopping so it may sound more appealing, especially for those who come from distant countries.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think that the deplacement of the competition from Paris is a mistake. Yes, maybe they are sparing some of the organizing costs but they should also consider that the city is much more reachable than others for fans that come from other countries. Plus, it is maybe easier to trick people who come from afar with the idea that they can go for a stroll on the Champs Elysée than with whatever options smaller cities have. Paris is a great capital full of culture, famous worldwide for the shopping so it may sound more appealing, especially for those who come from distant countries.

You have an excellent point. The area (Grenoble) is filled with winter sport lovers and next to Lyon the biggest Figure skating city in France. I like the smaller venue better actually. But it doesn't compare to the big crowds you could get in Paris since it's easy to go there. So the best solution : GP France in Paris, but in a smaller venue. :thumbsup:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mon dieu! Such messy skating, and that ice looked shady as heck. Here's hoping there are cleaner skates on better ice tomorrow, because this event has been a hot mess express so far. :disapp:

GF2445

Record Breaker
The French Federation in terms of organisation have not impressed us the last couple of years. They have lost their major sponsor and there are stories which we all know about regarding poor event management. In saying that, I feel like a major ISU event in France is good because good skating can come out from France. I have always seen the Grand Prix as the events held by the top skating nations.

If they have to keep it in Europe, people have said to make Finlandia into a Grand Prix Event- Finland would be a nice country and in terms of skating politics- quite neutral. And people do come to arena to watch Finlandia.

If I were were strategically thinking about how to make more money, South Korea would be a good option. I think Koreans are starting to take a shine to figure skating again because of the upcoming Olympics and promising future stars- I know that the years post Yuna Kim have been hard, especially with many Koreans becoming somewhat disenchanted by skating, many questioniong the integrity of the judging system and the ISU following Sochi. Not to mention that most of the people followed skating because of Yuna, and when Yuna finished, they also stopped watching. But with promise of future stars on the way, this would be a good strategic option.

I personally would love a roaming grand prix, but logistically and strategically, that would not be a good idea.

icybear

Medalist
Also the arena was almost empty. Might as well have being a challenger series competition

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The ground outside the gate was wet in both pics.
Um. The ground where the Zamboni enters and leaves the rink, is always wet...

And there are always guys at the gate to sweep off the ice/slush that the Zamboni leaves behind, when it raises its "gear" to leave the rink.

The first pic shows the Zambonis are still on the rink, so of course the ice is wet - the fresh surface hasn't frozen yet.

The second picture... doesn't tell us anything because we don't know how long after the resurfacing it was taken. If it's a couple of minutes after Zamboni's left, then it's normal. But if it's 15 minutes later, then yes it's a problem...

I have no idea whether the ice condition was good or bad - I'm just saying we can't tell anything from those photos alone...

Status
Not open for further replies.