Why do pairs struggle with s-b-s triples? | Golden Skate

Why do pairs struggle with s-b-s triples?

lala34345

On the Ice
Hi everyone. I'm new here but a longtime figure skating fan. I have a question that's been bugging me that I would love to get your thoughts on:

Why do so many of the elite pairs teams, including several of the teams that have skated so far at GP France and other GP events, struggle so much with their side-by-side, non-combination triple jumps? It seems like even when doing some of the "easier" jumps like salchows/toe loops, many teams perform the jumps well only about 50% of the time (or less). In elite singles skating, these are jumps that are rarely missed, especially when not done in combination. Is it because the pairs have so many other elements to perfect (lifts, throws, twists) that they don't have the time to perfect their jumps? I just always find it strange when teams can do beautiful triple twists, intricate footwork and pairs spins, incredible lifts, etc., but can't consistently do triple salchows.

What do you all think?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
SBS jumps require timing and focus to get them synchronized - especially in combos. It's a lot more difficult than in singles skating where you don't have to think about what a partner is doing. Also, because there are two skaters, there obviously is twice the likelihood of there being an error on the element.

In singles, these skaters train focusing on the jumps since there are 3 jumping passes in the SP, and 7-8 in the LP. In pairs, it's only 1 and 2, respectively... so the emphasis on solid SBS jumping isn't always worthwhile. Under 6.0, the SBS jumps were considered the "make or break" move that would distinguish pairs' placements, but under IJS the relative value of SBS jumps is minimal compared to lifts, twists and throws -- unless you're doing a SBS 3Z or 3T+3T. Now a team can fall on their SBS jumps in the SP and still be first, whereas in the past, they'd be buried. There's just not the same importance given to SBS jumps these days.

To me, it's crazy that a SBS 3S is worth less than a level 4 death spiral or level 4 pair spin - the former is much more difficult to execute cleanly IMO.

It's the same with unison on SBS spins... it used to be a notable error that would cost skaters, but now so many skaters fall out of unison because a) they're trying harder spins and b) it's just a minor GOE deduction if they lose unison, since spins aren't super valuable. Like SBS jumps, there's not as much of an urgency to develop those to perfection compared to big point getters.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was surprised when Han Cong said that the hardest skill to train on his own when his partner Sui Wenjing was undergoing and recovering from surgery was the jump. It felt weird and difficult without her sbs with him.

mrrice

Record Breaker
SBS jumps require timing and focus to get them synchronized - especially in combos. It's a lot more difficult than in singles skating where you don't have to think about what a partner is doing. Also, because there are two skaters, there obviously is twice the likelihood of there being an error on the element.

In singles, these skaters train focusing on the jumps since there are 3 jumping passes in the SP, and 7-8 in the LP. In pairs, it's only 1 and 2, respectively... so the emphasis on solid SBS jumping isn't always worthwhile. Under 6.0, the SBS jumps were considered the "make or break" move that would distinguish pairs' placements, but under IJS the relative value of SBS jumps is minimal compared to lifts, twists and throws -- unless you're doing a SBS 3Z or 3T+3T. Now a team can fall on their SBS jumps in the SP and still be first, whereas in the past, they'd be buried. There's just not the same importance given to SBS jumps these days.

To me, it's crazy that a SBS 3S is worth less than a level 4 death spiral or level 4 pair spin - the former is much more difficult to execute cleanly IMO.

It's the same with unison on SBS spins... it used to be a notable error that would cost skaters, but now so many skaters fall out of unison because a) they're trying harder spins and b) it's just a minor GOE deduction if they lose unison, since spins aren't super valuable. Like SBS jumps, there's not as much of an urgency to develop those to perfection compared to big point getters.

I agree. When you're a singles skater, if the ice doesn't feel right, you can skip the combo and tack it on to a planned solo jump and still be ok. If you have a planned combo with a partner, you HAVE to do it no matter what. You also have the distraction of having to time your jump with that of your partner and that makes it much more difficult. I can't imagine setting up for a lutz and then having to time it with my partner. Exceedingly difficult. Add that to the pressure of knowing that if you fail, your partner will also fail and that has to be difficult. Jamie Sale' used to talk about it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pairs are not only doing harder spins than they did under 6.0, they're doing harder SBS jumps as well. Under 6.0, the emphasis was on not making errors; under IJS, you can make errors on difficult content and still get more points than if you did simpler content perfectly.

Plus all the points other have made. Pairs have a lot of elements and a lot of variety in their elements, so it's hard to perfect it all.