Fernandez: ‘Anything is possible’ | Golden Skate

Fernandez: ‘Anything is possible’

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Javier Fernandez of Spain redeemed himself with a win at the 2017 Internationaux de France de Patinage after placing sixth two weeks ago at Cup of China. Shoma Uno settled for silver, while Uzbekistan’s Misha Ge came from sixth to claim a surprise bronze.

More...

“Anything is possible in figure skating,” said Fernandez. “We saw Evan Lysacek win the Olympics without a quad. Anything can happen. It depends on every skater, how they skate. If it’s a good performance, and it’s the best performance of the night, it doesn’t matter how many quads you might do. A perfect skater is a skater that skates the best, jumps the best, do the best transitions, the best skating skills, everything. That person is supposed to be the Olympic champion, the world champion, everything. It’s not all about only one thing. It’s about everything that creates the complete skater.”
“We all have our own talents,” said Uno regarding what is considered a “perfect” skater. “The young skaters, the old skaters, and everybody is unique in their own way. A younger skater might be able to do something that an older skater can’t, and there’s some stuff that we can do better than they do. It’s good that we all do the best we can. It’s really important that we look as skating as an all-around sport, not only one particular thing.”
Ge has announced that he will retire after this season. “Really, at my last Grand Prix to get a medal is unbelievable. We got an Olympic spot for 2018 for Uzbekistan to help the skating and those kids to push them forward to do the sport.”

Kudos to Ge! What are your thoughts on the men's event? What did you take away from it?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As I said elsewhere, I am SO glad Misha Ge gave it one last shot this season! What a way to wrap up his GP career!

And wise words from Javi.

Anything is possible, all right. You can skate terribly and still win, as long as everyone else is just as bad. What a depressing competition.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yay for Misha! His performances were THE highlight for the Men's event in France.
It feels like such a redemption that he was able to finally get a GP medal. IMO he should have had more.
He'll always be a favorite with fans and at shows and his choreography will continue to influence the sport, so this is a great way for him to reach a new high in his career before he leaves the competitive stage. :thumbsup:

Fernandez's SP was also so wonderful. His plan to do what he does best is proving to be the right way for him to go.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's probably worth noting that Misha also choreographed Sergei Voronov's free skate, so he's winning on this GP series in more ways than one!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Anything is possible, all right. You can skate terribly and still win, as long as everyone else is just as bad. What a depressing competition.

:console: Overall, the ladies and men's event was pretty depressing for me to watch. It's not so much the performances, because I like the styles, programs and ambition that these skaters bring to the table.
What ruins it for me is the judging. Fernandez and Shoma making multiple mistakes will not make me like them any less. It's tough, sometimes you are sick, sometimes you are injured, but still you do your best. This is admirable and I can still cheer for them and like them even more for their effort.
But when the judging does not reflect the skating, when the scoring is so uneven that it seems that a select few can make so many mistakes that are overlooked, and others skate perfectly but are not rewarded, the whole competition begins to look like a farce.
The seeming arbitrariness of the scoring makes it very difficult for mid-level skaters to know what they should try to improve on. URs both called and not called in a single competition depending on who is skating for example. -but I'm sure anyone can think of many more instances of such inequitable scoring.
All-in-all, for me Voronov at NHK and Misha here have had the the most impactful and deserved wins/medals from a spectators viewpoint. This is purely a perspective of one person who watches the sport. But viewers do count for something. If everyone gets disgusted with the judging, will anyone go to the events and pay for tickets? (Well, France had a lot of empty seats)

So, lots of love and respect for the skaters. They are wonderful.
Lots of :disagree: and :dev2: for the way the performances are judged. Or the way the rules are being selectively applied.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
Javier's BV is low. He aligned with SP and FP without mistakes and it is about 320-325 points limit.
His victory will require mistakes of other competitors.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
Shoma seems to be the influence of influenza.
However, all male competitors had a bad performance, maybe the state of ice at the time was bad or the competitor was tired with overcrowding schedule.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I see people complaining about judging but really, the main issue is just that base value trumps it all.... just take it in a pure mathematical way....

let's say an athlete performed at 75% of their base value.... which is 100 : they still get 75 points (let's just include GOE as neutral)
an athlete having a BV of 75 needs a flawless skate to get the same amount of points...

What is easier to achieve : I think succeeding at 100% is more and more rare and very difficult... and skaters are playing the game... they raise their base value... if they land everything YAY... if they don't well they will lose points... but they have larger scoring opportunities than someone with a much lower BV.

The high base values we see nowadays not only create a major unbalance between TES and PCS (which are obviously capped) but it also creates a very odd effect in how a performance can be appreciated.... and hence the protestations he wear about clean programs should outscore programs with many flaws...

Each skater is playing the game with his best assets.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
I think that a program composed of quads of low BV such as 4S and 4T is not suitable as a champion program of the present era.
Because even Junior is implementing a program consisting of 4T and 4S.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

better they all wipe the ice in France than in Korea!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
better they all wipe the ice in France than in Korea!

I agree with that. I don't understand the outrage and the declaration that Figure Skating is over after a simple GP event. Yes, it wasn't pretty but it's not the Olympic Gold medal that was at stake here. Bad events happen. They happened before and they will happen again. But you also get beautiful events in between, when skaters are on top of their game. It's crucial not to peak too early this season.

I find Javier's words interesting. He has two months until Europeans, so enough time to find his focus again, but I wonder...he seemed so dominant, why did he fall apart in the long? And it wasn't the first time that this happened, it cost him a medal at Worlds last season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I agree with that. I don't understand the outrage and the declaration that Figure Skating is over after a simple GP event. Yes, it wasn't pretty but it's not the Olympic Gold medal that was at stake here. Bad events happen. They happened before and they will happen again. But you also get beautiful events in between, when skaters are on top of their game. It's crucial not to peak too early this season.

I find Javier's words interesting. He has two months until Europeans, so enough time to find his focus again, but I wonder...he seemed so dominant, why did he fall apart in the long? And it wasn't the first time that this happened, it cost him a medal at Worlds last season.

He mentioned some pain in his hip. He may be carrying some recurring injuries.
Javi said at the presser after FS that he started feeling some pain in his hip flexor after the third jump, which may be the reason that he had some difficulty in holding on the rest of his jumps. He did look sort of in pain skating towards Brian after the FS. This made me concerned, as he did receive some anti-inflammation shot for his hip in the summer of 2016. I hope there is nothing serious and it can be healed soon with a good rest.

BTW, he did get the unreachable star at the end, and it's blue.

MRani

On the Ice

I don’t know if this explains it completely, but apparently he mentioned in the press conference that he started having hip pain after the 3rd jumping pass in the free skate. He also lost some training time due to recovering from food poisoning, so stamina may have also been an issue. Of course all athletes have to deal with injuries and pain and illnesses, so I’m not trying to make any excuses for him. He needs to take care of his health and skate better in the future if he wants to be on the Olympic podium. The SP proved he’ll score big even with his lower BV, but he needs to be clean.

At Worlds, he was mentally off his game. He let the nerves of being the leader after the short and skating last get to him.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
In the current rule, there is a chance to get good grades for BV's low competitor. In fact, the third place in this competition was Misha GE without Quad.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Yes, but this is men´s competition with difficult programs and just a GP-event. It is about mid-November and at that time I would not expect to watch faultless programs with difficulty. If the skaters with all those quads had been perfect now, I would feel really worried as there are still about 3 months ´til the main event of the season = Olympics. Many skaters though need to be at their best already at their Nationals and afterward at Europeans or 4CC.

I think that after his food-poisoning in China Fernandez has not had enough time to train fully, such a stomach upset is not over quickly and one feels really weak for quite some time.

Fernandez can feel really proud of his sp, it was really enjoyable! And it gave him the needed cushion for the win of the event although he did not win the freeskate.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, but this is men´s competition with difficult programs and just a GP-event. It is about mid-November and at that time I would not expect to watch faultless programs with difficulty. If the skaters with all those quads had been perfect now, I would feel really worried as there are still about 3 months ´til the main event of the season = Olympics. Many skaters though need to be at their best already at their Nationals and afterward at Europeans or 4CC.

That is generally true, but I guess it's the current "What on earth is happening?" that this GP series has that makes everything look worse by accumulation. A lot of injuries & connected sup-bar skates (Yuzu, Patrick, Boyang, Dima Aliev, Javi, Shoma (the flu + his rumored ankle injuries and backstage videos here showing him taping said ankle...), Zhenya at NHK in the ladies...) plus weird scoring overall. In France aided by the horrible conditions (bad ice, cheap podium/"medals"...). It just kind of adds up to the feeling of a cursed GP. And tbh, I thought the last 2 years the GP series were way better and stronger overall at this point (when talking about men, not in the other disciplines). So I can't lie, I have that feeling we'll get Sochi skating again too (probably with 2002 judging at that). Not the fault of any single skater, just an overall thing right now that's rather not motivating. Hopefully it turns out wrong though!

As for Javi here, the LP really wasn't great, but his SP was, and it's a clear step up from CoC of course. Hopefully that hip thing is very minor and he manages to continue the upward trend at his next competitions! :cheer: