Medvedeva WDs from GPF | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva WDs from GPF

madison

Record Breaker
How about just looking at it as what it is instead of trying to find conspiracies everywhere?

She competed injured in both GPs thus far, apparently without realizing how serious it was. She probably shouldn't have. She probably shouldn't compete in GPF. Because of health reasons, not some ridiculous PCS conspiracy.

Well, I wouldn't be so naïve
I'm speaking in general now.... but this sport is so much about reputation, image, politics...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well, I wouldn't be so naïve
I'm speaking in general now.... but this sport is so much about reputation, image, politics...

Yes it can be. I don't think this is the thread to discuss "reputation, image, politics..." or what provoked her Federation to make
the announcement today. Her fans are upset and are thinking only of Med's well being and health.

madison

Record Breaker
Yes it can be. I don't think this is the thread to discuss "reputation, image, politics..." or what provoked her Federation to make
the announcement today. Her fans are upset and are thinking only of Med's well being and health.
I agree, you're right :)

russianfan

Match Penalty
Maybe they just found out about her injury today...

Zhenya doesn't have to reveal things when it suits the fancy of the fans...

they didn't find out it just today - she clearly says in the interview that she was diagnosed even before Rostelecom. Just think about it - the girl has won 2 grand prix events with bone fracture. How strong one should be to do that! She also says she was using strong pain relievers. My god, this girl is just insane sometimes, i'm afraid she will try to participate in GPF "no matter what" and this is definitely not a good idea. GPF doesn't mean anything - everyone knows she would win it easily(if healthy). I'm also sure fed would select her for Olympics even if she won't participate at nationals, she just needs to be healthy. No point to make it worse when Olympics is coming soon...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Hope she heals fast. But I also think it's better to skip GPF. Sui/Han didn't skate in GPF for two years and it didn't hurt their PCS. Judges either love you or not.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
If she is "unsure", she should definitely drop out. Prevention is key for this season. For singles, missing competitions isn't too bad.

Most importantly, before Olympics, there is THE big event : Euros in Moscow. In an Olympic year, NOBODY who has a brain skips a European Championship in Russia 3 weeks before Olys, right ? It gives momentum and for bouncing back she could get it. Being at home, she won't have jet lag or travel fatigue, it's perfect.

If she doesn't feel healed, she should skip GPF and Nationals, it's okay, she got her spot almost 2 years ago already.

I really hope she recovers fast. I want to see her at her best (we all do) and ready to fight for that Olympic Gold.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
they didn't find out it just today - she clearly says in the interview that she was diagnosed even before Rostelecom. Just think about it - the girl has won 2 grand prix events with bone fracture. How strong one should be to do that! She also says she was using strong pain relievers. My god, this girl is just insane sometimes, i'm afraid she will try to participate in GPF "no matter what" and this is definitely not a good idea. GPF doesn't mean anything - everyone knows she would win it easily(if healthy). I'm also sure fed would select her for Olympics even if she won't participate at nationals, she just needs to be healthy. No point to make it worse when Olympics is coming soon...

I know, she's so insane. Hopefully Eteri and her parents instill some sense into her :). I think she is definitely an Olympic team lock.
But my question was more of did the Fed know until now, but I think they did if they sent her to Germany. Certainly raises the question of why they're not trying to improve their medical program.
Well I'm American, I wouldn't know and maybe they are, but argh. Poor Janny.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
It's interesting to know why they decided to announce today and under this form of uncertainty.
What do you think?

"Don't show anyone that it's hard for you, especially to your audience. They come for positive emotions and they don't need to see tears and cries." - Eteri.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I hope she makes a full recovery by the time of the Olympics, health matters the most and she already has participated in and won a lot of these events. Nobody will be throwing out an exceptional skater like her from the team, all she needs is a recovery and some remaining time for practice.

I also find the time of the official announcement a bit weird. These sort of announcements are usually made public long after everything getting decided between the parties involved. We all knew/guessed Gracie's lack of participation to certain events for example but they always made official announcements in a certain time before the event and not before it. Official announcements, especially the ones concerning health, are usually made when it's absolutely certain that the condition will have an effect on the public domain: You will not see Gracie at this event because of this and this etc.
So I agree that it's more likely a strategy to make such a statement now. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to officially declare " I may or may not participate at this event." Of course you may or you may not, those are the only options.

Having a strategy is a good thing by the way, nobody is suggesting that she is pretending to be injured while plotting world dominion. It's more likely that her team is thinking to send her to the GPF but notifying us and the judges beforehand that she will not be her best there because of this injury. Or they know that she will not go there already because she won't have time to recover or practice and they want us to think Alina as the 1st Russian without making anything official about Evgenia yet. Maybe some other thing we cannot guess at all. But they are team of intelligent people and an entire Federation so I don't think any of their statements about their best skater will be just randomly timed. Of course they have a strategy, nobody wins without one.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This is horrible news (and this season an awful train wreck). Hopefully she will recover from this and rest well. If competing at the GPF has any risk of aggravating it and makes being 100% healthy for the Olympics even a tiny bit less likely, I hope she skips it. No matter what worries she might have regarding the competition there, nothing could be worse then not being able to fully deliver when it counts the most. She's a strong girl, and I can only wish her the best.

(But honestly, who cursed this season? Can we cancel it or give it back and demand a refund or something?)

megenta

Rinkside
I don't think you can heal a stress fracture type of injuries without actually resting the area, you can't just take pills and do exercises. Have tried that myself. It's so much more intelligent to skip a gpf than go to Olympics with a broken foot.

snd

On the Ice
terrible news!

she already has a gpf gold and better to avoid losing to alina there due to iffy performances. they can compete at the russian nationals and euros before the olys - evgenia will also have more time to heal. definitely should skip gpf. osmond cannot string two clean performances together anyway.

get well!

this is starting to feel like michelle vs tara all over again. and i don't want another golden tara.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Folks on this board were shaking their heads at the mistakes Evgenia was making in the last two competitions and saying she wasn't the same "perfect" skater any more. Now we know why she made those mistakes. A hairline fracture may be a small thing, but it can be painful.

She should do the wise thing and skip the GPF. Nationals and the Olympics are far more important.

madison

Record Breaker
"Don't show anyone that it's hard for you, especially to your audience. They come for positive emotions and they don't need to see tears and cries." - Eteri.

Eteri- that's exactly the part I don't like at her and at some of her students: lack of authenticity, dishonesty.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's clear something strategic from the Federation.
Either they feel now more comfortable knowing that Alina is the first lady after Med to qualify, Sotskova also in the final and Polina highly probable... or they want to excuse Med if she competes poorly at the GPF.
Anyway, I don't understand why Med still performed in the gala at NHK.
Something is fishy here but I don't know what.:slink:

I don't agree that this is "strategic." It is clear Med was struggling a bit at NHK. I also do not agree that Sarah Hughes was "helped" by her win at Skate Canada. Did that win help her land her jumps? She clearly won the free program under the rules of the day. The only issue was whether Michelle should have been placed above Irina.

madison

Record Breaker
I hope she makes a full recovery by the time of the Olympics, health matters the most and she already has participated in and won a lot of these events. Nobody will be throwing out an exceptional skater like her from the team, all she needs is a recovery and some remaining time for practice.

I also find the time of the official announcement a bit weird. These sort of announcements are usually made public long after everything getting decided between the parties involved. We all knew/guessed Gracie's lack of participation to certain events for example but they always made official announcements in a certain time before the event and not before it. Official announcements, especially the ones concerning health, are usually made when it's absolutely certain that the condition will have an effect on the public domain: You will not see Gracie at this event because of this and this etc.
So I agree that it's more likely a strategy to make such a statement now. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to officially declare " I may or may not participate at this event." Of course you may or you may not, those are the only options.

Having a strategy is a good thing by the way, nobody is suggesting that she is pretending to be injured while plotting world dominion. It's more likely that her team is thinking to send her to the GPF but notifying us and the judges beforehand that she will not be her best there because of this injury. Or they know that she will not go there already because she won't have time to recover or practice and they want us to think Alina as the 1st Russian without making anything official about Evgenia yet. Maybe some other thing we cannot guess at all. But they are team of intelligent people and an entire Federation so I don't think any of their statements about their best skater will be just randomly timed. Of course they have a strategy, nobody wins without one.

Totally agree with your comment... thank you!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Funny how one can give a skater a pass (which Z. deserves btw), but are all over others (Gabby and KO included) when they have previously skated with injuries or were in the process of healing.

Double standards?! Especially when it involves Canada/Canadians? Never! :laugh:

SkaterX

On the Ice
Well, we know for sure that Eteri was trying to keep this injury under wraps for as long as possible. When asked at NHK Evgenia just mentioned a sprain.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I knew something wasn't right. Please rest up Evgenia! You don't need GPF. Just be healthy so you can skate lights out in Korea and show everyone who's the Queen!

The barely-concealed glee from some posters is unsurprising, but still gross. :disapp: