Medvedeva WDs from GPF | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva WDs from GPF

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's clear something strategic from the Federation.
Either they feel now more comfortable knowing that Alina is the first lady after Med to qualify, Sotskova also in the final and Polina highly probable... or they want to excuse Med if she competes poorly at the GPF.
Anyway, I don't understand why Med still performed in the gala at NHK.
Something is fishy here but I don't know what.:slink:

A bit fishy, but she sounds like she wants to be there very much and is frustrated. I don't think Eteri would kill her momentum if she wasn't at risk of exacerbating an injury. I hope that Medvedeva isn't seriously injured and competes at her best in the Olympics.

That being said, Medvedeva pulling out can create huge momentum for Zagitova. Zagitova will feel way less pressure and gain more clout if she wins, to boost her OSM or even OGM chances.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope Eteri will help Evgenia to make the right decision

You mean, hope Eteri will make the right decision for Evgenia... :sarcasm:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
You guys need to explain to me how you can see something fishy here.

GPF is 2 weeks away. Now is the time to say if you have something going on. And it gives the time to the 1st replacement to actually train properly in case.
If she had said that before CoR or NHK, some would have say : "oh she is finding an excuse for falling more than usual".

Also, if she had said that before, everybody (including judges and more importantly the press) would be focusing too much on that, and it may add even more stress to what is already a hell of a season mentally speaking.

madison

Record Breaker
A bit fishy, but she sounds like she wants to be there very much and is frustrated. I don't think Eteri would kill her momentum if she wasn't at risk of exacerbating an injury. I hope that Medvedeva isn't seriously injured and competes at her best in the Olympics.

That being said, Medvedeva pulling out can create huge momentum for Zagitova. Zagitova will feel way less pressure and gain more clout if she wins, to boost her OSM or even OGM chances.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean, hope Eteri will make the right decision for Evgenia... :sarcasm:

I think Zagi will feel much more pressure at the GPF as Russia no 1 :(.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's... not good. Limping, taped... She likely shouldn't have skated at the grand prix events at all. No need for her to push herself so much, really. It's more important to heal in time for the olympics, especially as injuries like this might take surprisingly long to heal. She doesn't have to prove anything to anyone at the grand prix level. It'd be best for her to recover.

Absolutely right, Evgenia doesn't have to prove anything to anyone ... and yet it can be perversely difficult for a person to see it that way from inside herself. I think, at this point, she'll do exactly as the doctors and her team say. She's a very intelligent girl and wise beyond her years. I want to see her at Olympics.

It can be much quicker for a 17-year-old to heal, but it's true that such injuries as hairline fractures can take longer to heal than at first thought. Rippon's fracture of the 5th metatarsal was supposed to take 8 weeks to heal, and it took twice that; then it was many months before he could return to his full arsenal of jumps. But then, he's the old man of 28;); and that's a big difference.

For a more optimistic example, Ekaterina Gordeeva was out for two months before the '88 olympics, came back and won beautifully.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Zagi will feel much more pressure at the GPF as Russia no 1 :(.

Perhaps. But she's bombed her SP so much that she's bound to do better at some point. It will be interesting to see if she can solidify a lead and then skate a clean FS instead of have a bad SP and have to play catch up.

It's so weird that she's fallen in every SP, but then nails her second half jumps in the longer FS.

bevybean

On the Ice

GPF is 2 weeks away. Now is the time to say if you have something going on. And it gives the time to the 1st replacement to actually train properly in case.
If she had said that before CoR or NHK, some would have say : "oh she is finding an excuse for falling more than usual".

Also, if she had said that before, everybody (including judges and more importantly the press) would be focusing too much on that, and it may add even more stress to what is already a hell of a season mentally speaking.

I think it seems fishy because normally an announcement is made when the injury was discovered or discovered to be bad enough that she might need to withdraw (in this case right after NHK) or once the final decision of whether she will will compete or not has been made. This announcement is coming in between those 2 things, hence it seems fishy.

However, fishy/being strategic doesn't = sinister as some people have inferred. It could be as simple as Russia wanting to take some attention away from Skate America which happens this weekend. Or somehow ratchet up the tension on the top skaters in Skate America. Not sure how a possible 2 open spots at the GPF rather than only 1 would cause stress for any Ladies competing at Skate America though.

madison

Record Breaker
Perhaps. But she's bombed her SP so much that she's bound to do better at some point. It will be interesting to see if she can solidify a lead and then skate a clean FS instead of have a bad SP and have to play catch up.

It's so weird that she's fallen in every SP, but then nails her second half jumps in the longer FS.

I think it's something mental because she's too scared not to make a mistake.
She said in her last interview that they'll change a little bit the short in order to make it more comfortable. I wonder how they'll change it...

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Because Evgenia is Eville Russian!1!!11!! :sarcasm:
:laugh: Oh, fanwars... You can all Rest In Peace please.

I mean I don't even root for her and she isn't my favourite lady skater, but she doesn't even need to be. Not having her at the Olympics makes me almost nervous, because believe it or not, the sport needs her right now. She is THAT good.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I'm trying to understand why the Fed announced exactly today... it looks something strategic to me.

I believe it was today's position of Venus and Neptune connected with height of tidal wave in Sitka, Alaska which made RusFed release the news. And of course it was breaking news as it involved 2 times World Champion! GPF is in over 3 weeks. Announcement like this will give time alternates to prepare in case of Medvedeva's withdrawal. Also after her performance in Osaka there were speculations about her possible injury so probably they decided it was finally the time to cut speculations (especially taking into consideration the fact that yesterday we got the news about nature of Pogo's injury).

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I already left a comment on her FF but reiterating my wishes for a speedy recovery and hope that if she does decide to participate in GPF, it's done with the approval of her doctors and with the absolute certainty the injury has healed. I really don't want her to aggravate any issues before Euros/Olympics by participating in the GPF. I understand why withdrawing goes against her nature, but health first, Zhenya! Be well!

MRani

On the Ice

I completely agree with you. I think the timing of this announcement and the reasoning for not saying anything until now make perfect sense.

Recently we found out that Ashley Wagner tore her quadriceps before 2016 worlds. But her team didn’t say anything about her having an injury and Ashley herself even vehemently denied being injured at the time. She’s told us now that she didn’t want the injury to be her story at 2016 worlds, and she also didn’t want to be constantly reminded of her injury at every moment while she was trying to compete at the most important competition of her season. I think Evgenia’s reasons for publically denying the seriousness of her injury are probably the same. Why would she want to constantly be reminded of her injury by fans and the media when it’s probably already a difficult thing to deal with mentally while competing during an Olympic season? The fact that she’s announced it now shows that she’s acknowledged the injury is serious enough to compromise GPF and that it’s no longer possible to keep it under wraps.

Good luck to Zhenya. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery and hoping dearly to see her at her best at Olympics. 🙏🏻

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think it seems fishy because normally an announcement is made when the injury was discovered or discovered to be bad enough that she might need to withdraw (in this case right after NHK) or once the final decision of whether she will will compete or not has been made. This announcement is coming in between those 2 things, hence it seems fishy.

However, fishy/being strategic doesn't = sinister as some people have inferred. It could be as simple as Russia wanting to take some attention away from Skate America which happens this weekend. Or somehow ratchet up the tension on the top skaters in Skate America. Not sure how a possible 2 open spots at the GPF rather than only 1 would cause stress for any Ladies competing at Skate America though.
I think she just wanted to wait if it was bad enough to claim anything, since she said it was a simple "sprain". Which makes me think that there are more chances for her to withdraw (yes I'm pessimistic) :hopelessness:
I mean for some knowing there might be an open spot could be beneficial. Ashley of all people is the kind to rise up to these occasions. And honestly they could use that kick : it's Olympic season. Everybody is in the same situation.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I feel very sorry for Med. She deserves to be in the GPF. I'm sad that she like Yuzu may not be there. I hope she does what she needs to to heal and recover. This season is a long one and there is still time before the Olympics. Med doesn't need momentum and she doesn't need to prove anything. All she needs to do is focus on getting better.

If she ends up missing the GPF I am going to take it as a sign that both she and Yuzu will win the OGM with a vengeance.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
That is not good news but knock on wood, she's going to heal fast, and recover well.

She's a two-time World, European, GPF champion, she's well positioned without the GPF. Yes, it's a massive risk even with that, looking at IdF and the scores which make more sense now but she still has her reputation. I think healing is way more important, so skipping GPF and being well for the Nats seems wiser.

What she'll choose, I have no idea. She and the team are I am sure aware of the pros and cons so I am certainly not smarter than they are. I wish her well, heal quickly Zhenyechka, and come back strong! Olympics without her just seem unthinkable to me.

As a side note, what even is this season :palmf: :palmf:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Also, can we stop speculating on some sinister reason for the way they announced this? It sounds like for a while they were trying to figure out how bad the injury was and treating it. Now that it looks like she may have to miss the GPF they are making it public.

Evgenia is injured- You don't have to "believe it", she is. And speculating over perceived political motivations is pretty useless.