Nathan Chen is the next Olympic superstar | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen is the next Olympic superstar

RobinA

On the Ice
I respect Nathan's talent, but I just don't find him very charismatic or see any particular star quality, compared to Yuzuru & some other great male skaters. Sorry, I've tried...

Yeah, he's no Takahashi. I don't get the attraction either. I like his short this year, but the long is a snooze to me, with or without the jumps.

I actually prefer the skating of young Rippon to anything I've seen Chen do.

RobinA

On the Ice
He has great programs this year but I think they are just too mature for him and he doesn't feel the music. The movement is there but the expression seems very contrived and it is hard to enjoy a performance when it feels forced or fake.

He is young and I have no doubt he will get to the level of a Yuzuru or Patrick Chan but at the moment, I just enjoy watching him technically.

I donèt think he has the performance ability yet to be a great Olympic star but at the same time, Boitano was not known for his artistry until after those Olympics. Javi is far more charismatic like a Hamilton or a Browning.

Boitano, my fave male skater of all time, was a perfect example of somebody who successfully capitalized on his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses during his competitive years and then was able to mature into a fabulous skater post-competitive career. Unfortunately, those days are gone. We are unlikely to see skaters with the maturity of a Boitano, Browning or Hamilton again. Now they get a medal and then retire due to injury.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm glad for the thread revived. :) Nathan isn't Daisuke at all, but nobody can be Nathan likewise. Top skaters have their own style and image. Nathan surely has charisma on ice and to me he looks like a little tiger about to leap big.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Nathan's not gonna win the gold medal with Vera Wang as his costume designer. :noshake:

Well, Evan's costumes designed by Vera weren't nice, but he won the gold. Besides, Nathan's costumes are not the same level of Tarasova/Morozov's, so I can bear them. Though I prefer his previous modern stylish outfits to the new ones.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Well, Evan's costumes designed by Vera weren't nice, but he won the gold. Besides, Nathan's costumes are not the same level of Tarasova/Morozov's, so I can bear them. Though I prefer his previous modern stylish outfits to the new ones.

yeah, like Vincent's outfit here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6JOVS73sAE nice, sleek, classic looking. Rooting for Nathan, but he's missed his triple axel when he debut Vera's confusing outfits, so I just worry about that:scratch2: I think Vera is bad luck, but I hope I'm wrong.

For Nathan's lp, I thought a nice red shirt, and black pants to go with Maos last dance song. For his Short program, I imagined bright blue like Vincent's shirt. Instead, he goes with pitch black for both programs, one looks like he's about to enter the priesthood, and the other like he's ready to become some kind of superhero. I think outfits matter a lot.

Manitou

Medalist
US media at its best. He hasn't even really started yet, and they are already making him a media sensation.
Just wait, give him some oxygen, some time to grow, a chance to truly accomplish something big.

frida80

Record Breaker
US media at its best. He hasn't even really started yet, and they are already making him a media sensation.
Just wait, give him some oxygen, some time to grow, a chance to truly accomplish something big.

Right now, the Japanese media is saying that Satako will win an Olympic silver medal. Canadian media is predicting that Kaetlyn will win gold. It’s 100% normal to hype your best athletes before the Olympics.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Nathan is also one of the safest bets. They supported Ashley who didn't make it to PyeongChang. They supported the Shibutanis who lost their National title. At least Nathan has a GPF gold and a 4CC gold in addition to his junior accomplishments.

Manitou

Medalist
Right now, the Japanese media is saying that Satako will win an Olympic silver medal. Canadian media is predicting that Kaetlyn will win gold. It’s 100% normal to hype your best athletes before the Olympics.

I am really glad alpine skiing is not as popular in media as figure skating. Probably the biggest US star at the Olympics will be a skier Mikaela Shiffrin. However, because skiing is not drawing as much media attention as figure skating, she doesn't have to deal with nation's pressure and expectations and can focus on her performance.
I am sure if the media hadn't made Gracie a national princess she would be in a completely different place today.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Nathan is also one of the safest bets. They supported Ashley who didn't make it to PyeongChang. They supported the Shibutanis who lost their National title. At least Nathan has a GPF gold and a 4CC gold in addition to his junior accomplishments.

I think he made a big statement by beating Yuzuru Hanyu already (and I love Hanyu as a skater), also didn't he beat him on his home turf in Japan like in the long program, but lost overall in one of the comps? I think that was when he was in the best shape, now, it looks like he bulked up a little.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is boss. He is well adjusted, mature, smart, has great coaching, great family, talented,liked by theUSFS and the judges, a bit lucky - sometimes that helps.Now that we are in the quad phase and the pcs tend to rise with quads or go down without them ie Chan. I still find it a bit lucky that the judges don't hammer him with lower pcs because his programs well are ok but not awesome. Life and skating is about quads. A fall on quad lutz is like almost a triple axel clean I believe.Cray cray indeed. I am not sure the intent was to put say one element ie one quad to essentially obliterate something that was worth half overall marks - pcs.Good or bad, remember the 6.0 system where in the free artistry was the tide breaker- well we can't say now the tech is worth less than artistry.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I think he made a big statement by beating Yuzuru Hanyu already (and I love Hanyu as a skater), also didn't he beat him on his home turf in Japan like in the long program, but lost overall in one of the comps? I think that was when he was in the best shape, now, it looks like he bulked up a little.

No to your question. You might be thinking of GPF 2016-17 in France.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

You might be thinking World Team Trophy where his SP+LP scored higher than Hanyu.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Nathan got an interview in the 'Figure skating stoies to watch' episode on the Olympic channel, And I think he was the only skater to do so. Think what you want about that :)