Skates for adult beginner | Golden Skate

Skates for adult beginner

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Hi, all! I plan to start figure skating lessons soon as an adult beginner. I've always wanted to skate, but I couldn't quite get the hang of it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to ice skate much of the year because of my location. However, I just can't deal with rental skates! Can anyone recommend a good pair of figure skates?

Mussique

On the Ice
It really depends on your goals, weight, intensity of skating...and on how much you're looking to spend! If you're just looking for skating in circles in the rink with some cheap skates you'll do fine, but the moment you want to learn more complicated footwork and, why not, spins and jumps, you're going to want to have a stiffer boots.

If you're going to take lessons I'd ask your coach, he's going to be more knowledgeable than I am. But in the meantime, you can check this table, it should give you some interesting points for comparison!
To be honest, it's not exactly true: people have been doing jumps with soft boots for a long time. But you shouldn't! You could hurt your ankles —and break the boot!

This begginer models that I see the most at my home rink are Risport Venus, and Jackson Mystique or Artiste. Of course a lot of people use Oxedo and other plastic boots, but, again, you shouldn't use those for more than recreational skating. If you only want that then it's fine!! They're definitely more comfy than rental skates. In fact they're probably more comfortable (soft) than more advanced skates as well.

I myself am an adult beginner and I use Risport Antares. They're comfortable and have great support —I've been skating in them for two months, I've been skating since the summer, and I'm carefully starting simple jumps at the moment. :laugh:

I risked going second-hand with mine because I couldn't afford them and I personally knew and trusted the source (I also have really small feet for an adult, so the ones I use are almost new since the kid that used them before me overgrew them super quickly before even breaking them in).
Maybe that can be a choice for you as well, and they're definitely more affordable (I got mine for half the original price), but beware it's a risk. It's really difficult they'll get to be as good a fit to your foot as if you yourself had broke them in —I'm an exception on this.

Be sure to try them on before buying them. If you can go to a professional shop and get your foot fitted that's great. Don't buy them online unless you've tried them first in an store and are super sure it's the right size. They should feel stiff but not painful.

I wish you the best luck in your adult skating journey!! It's super fun!!! :)

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
It really depends on your goals, weight, intensity of skating...and on how much you're looking to spend! If you're just looking for skating in circles in the rink with some cheap skates you'll do fine, but the moment you want to learn more complicated footwork and, why not, spins and jumps, you're going to want to have a stiffer boots.

If you're going to take lessons I'd ask your coach, he's going to be more knowledgeable than I am. But in the meantime, you can check this table, it should give you some interesting points for comparison!
To be honest, it's not exactly true: people have been doing jumps with soft boots for a long time. But you shouldn't! You could hurt your ankles —and break the boot!

This begginer models that I see the most at my home rink are Risport Venus, and Jackson Mystique or Artiste. Of course a lot of people use Oxedo and other plastic boots, but, again, you shouldn't use those for more than recreational skating. If you only want that then it's fine!! They're definitely more comfy than rental skates. In fact they're probably more comfortable (soft) than more advanced skates as well.

I myself am an adult beginner and I use Risport Antares. They're comfortable and have great support —I've been skating in them for two months, I've been skating since the summer, and I'm carefully starting simple jumps at the moment. :laugh:

I risked going second-hand with mine because I couldn't afford them and I personally knew and trusted the source (I also have really small feet for an adult, so the ones I use are almost new since the kid that used them before me overgrew them super quickly before even breaking them in).
Maybe that can be a choice for you as well, and they're definitely more affordable (I got mine for half the original price), but beware it's a risk. It's really difficult they'll get to be as good a fit to your foot as if you yourself had broke them in —I'm an exception on this.

Be sure to try them on before buying them. If you can go to a professional shop and get your foot fitted that's great. Don't buy them online unless you've tried them first in an store and are super sure it's the right size. They should feel stiff but not painful.

I wish you the best luck in your adult skating journey!! It's super fun!!! :)

Thanks for your post! My coach has a daughter who figure skates. She says if they get enough interest, she might start a figure skating club.

Most of the rental skates are hockey skates. Plus, I don't like a bunch of other feet in my shoes lol. I accepted that I may have to shell out a couple of bucks.

Youre very right, i'll have to ask coach and get professionally fitted.

Happy skating!

treesprite

Final Flight
Thanks for your post! My coach has a daughter who figure skates. She says if they get enough interest, she might start a figure skating club.

Most of the rental skates are hockey skates. Plus, I don't like a bunch of other feet in my shoes lol. I accepted that I may have to shell out a couple of bucks.

Youre very right, i'll have to ask coach and get professionally fitted.

Happy skating!

Ownng your own equipment for any sport is always best IF it fits properly. I work at a rink and there are times when people with new skates had to get rental skates, due to being informed by coaches and others that the personal skates are too big to be safe. Skate sizes don't usually match shoe sizes, so getting a professional skate fitter to help you decide the size is super important.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I talked to my coach, and she recommends Jacksons and Riedells. She said I'd skate much better with my own equipment. Agreed!

I couldnt find any (ice) skate shops around me. Where I live ice skating is not super popular because of climate.

I hope to stick with it. I could never quite figure out skating. *shrug* I can stay upright usually but with little grace. My first goal is to get a good stroke.

I'm ill balanced, too. I invested in a wobble board, and I take ballet class.

Slowpoke

Rinkside
sinnerspinner,

I have 2 pair of Riedells. I started out with the Motion 225 which is rated for singles, and then bought a pair of Diamonds, which is their best recreational boot to use as a backup. They both fit perfectly and are very comfortable.

Slowpoke

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
sinnerspinner,

I have 2 pair of Riedells. I started out with the Motion 225 which is rated for singles, and then bought a pair of Diamonds, which is their best recreational boot to use as a backup. They both fit perfectly and are very comfortable.

Slowpoke

How comparable are the sizes to a street shoe?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I talked to my coach, and she recommends Jacksons and Riedells. She said I'd skate much better with my own equipment. Agreed!

I couldnt find any (ice) skate shops around me. Where I live ice skating is not super popular because of climate.

I hope to stick with it. I could never quite figure out skating. *shrug* I can stay upright usually but with little grace. My first goal is to get a good stroke.

I'm ill balanced, too. I invested in a wobble board, and I take ballet class.
(a) Both Riedell and Jackson make a large selection of boots from very low end to very high end. What you get will very much depend on what you can afford. Since you are an adult, your feet have stopped growing, and it's best to save up for a good pair; you'll actually save money in the long run. Some pointers:

(b) Riedell and Jackson use different lasts (forms) for their boots. So one brand may give you a better fit than another. I used to wear Riedell, but then I switched to Jackson. You either have to try them on, or get the advice of an experienced fitter familiar with both lines.

(c) One problem with Jackson is that their beginner models come only as a kit, pre-mounted with a blade. That's OK if you like the blade; but a waste of money if you don't, and need to swap it out. Riedell has a larger selection of beginner boots that are sold as boot only (or optionally with a pre-mounted blade).

(d) If you've got the money, buy a separate boot and a separate blade. If you do buy a boot with a pre-mounted blade, make sure the blade is mounted with screws. Don't bother with kits in which the blades are riveted onto the boots.

(e) If you've got the money, buy a boot that is heat moldable.

(f) My recommendation is not to order online. Proper size varies with the make and model. In a Riedell, I was a 9N; in my Jacksons, I'm an 8W; street shoes are 9D. It's critical that the heel fits snugly while your toes are not cramped. For your initial purchase, you'll probably need to travel to a decent fitter; where does your coach get hers?

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Bad news. The nearest place to get fitted is about 3 hours from me. I asked my coach. She also said they don't have a big stock and often have to order boots.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Bad news. The nearest place to get fitted is about 3 hours from me. I asked my coach. She also said they don't have a big stock and often have to order boots.

That's not uncommon (the distance or the fact that boots have to be ordered). Just make an appointment and make sure you are getting a good fitting by someone that knows what they are doing.

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree with Ic's post. Given the large number of manufacturers, models, options, and sizes, it's way too expensive for a shop to stock inventory [especially since manufacturers these days retire models and introduce new models a lot more frequently than they used to in the past].

If your coach can vouch for the fitter, then he's probably your best option [get the name of the specific fitter; in many shops, there are several hockey guys and only one guy that fits figure skates properly]. He'll recommend a model, measure your feet, and order the right size for you. And remember:

(a) Unless you're real lucky, he'll need to make adjustments for proper fit (such as heat molding for boots that are heat moldable).

(b) If you buy separate boots and blades, he'll do the initial mounting.

(c) Regardless of whether you buy separate boots and blades or a pre-mounted kit, he'll do blade adjustments.

(d) Typically, he'll also do the first sharpening.

In most shops I've dealt with, if you buy the boots and the blades from the shop, all of the above services are included in the purchase price (but check the store policy). Be prepared to make several trips to have everything tweaked properly.

Also, have you talked to your coach about sharpening? Is there a decent local sharpener, or does she go to the shop she recommended? Better quality blades typically will be made of better steel and will hold an edge longer. That's something to consider if the sharpener is far away.

Unfortunately, limited access to decent fitters, sharpeners, and inventory you can try on is common and makes this sport frustrating. Some shops I've been to have carried stock in a few beginner models, but usually for only one manufacturer (e.g., Riedell only or Jackson only); and often in girls' sizes only (most popular market segment).

RoaringMice

On the Ice

I see you said the only decent place it three hours from home. Many people travel quite a distance for skate fittings. The skate pro I go to says people fly in from abroad to see him. So it is what it is. It's also normal that your skates may need to be ordered - it's great if they have them right in the shop, but not unusual to have to have them ordered in.

Find out from your coach who the best fitter is in the shop, and make an appointment with that person, specifically.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
We do have a local skate sharpener. Hooray for that, the one i found online was 2 hrs away.

My coach said to measure my feet and call several companies directly for boot recommendations.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
We do have a local skate sharpener. Hooray for that, the one i found online was 2 hrs away.

My coach said to measure my feet and call several companies directly for boot recommendations.
The problem is each boot company follows slightly different procedures for measurements. At pro shops, you will often see multiple measurement devices, each configured for a specific boot manufacturer.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Both places i called recommended the Jackson elle and Jackson Artiste. One person said i actually need custom boots as one foot is a c width and the other a d with, apparently. I do notice a big difference in regular shoes. Leftie goes in fine. Rightie is a struggle. Same with the rental skates. I had to sit there and jam rightie in there. Lefie goes in fine. I tried the rental in a bigger size, and the boot was way too big for my leftie, just like the lady warned.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Both places i called recommended the Jackson elle and Jackson Artiste. One person said i actually need custom boots as one foot is a c width and the other a d with, apparently. I do notice a big difference in regular shoes. Leftie goes in fine. Rightie is a struggle. Same with the rental skates. I had to sit there and jam rightie in there. Lefie goes in fine. I tried the rental in a bigger size, and the boot was way too big for my leftie, just like the lady warned.
Both the Elle and the Artiste are recreational models. Call Jackson to see whether they even offer customs in these models; customs are typically for advanced models. Also check what the cost would be (you'll probably be in for sticker shock). Two possible options: (a) A higher model custom, but with reduced stiffness, or (b) Buy two pairs of the recreational models in different sizes (one that fits your left, one that fits your right). If you go the custom route, it's essential you go through a competent fitter.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
The nice lady said customs would run about $500-$600. Ouch. She said i could try a sole in the left boot or try super thick socks on the left.

treesprite

Final Flight
My full custom Jacksons were almost $900.

Jackson gives a "stock special" option, or what is sometimes called "semi custom". It is stock boots which have had adaptions made to the boots at the factory, and is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than true custom boots (which are made completely from scratch). They can make a single split width adjustment that way, and I'm sure they would do it for a single boot if there is just a matter of one foot being a single width wider than the other. I imagine they would do this with lower model freestyle boots, but probably not with recreational boots.