Skates for adult beginner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skates for adult beginner

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I asked about custom boots. Heres the response from Jackson.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Jackson Ultima Skates.

We can modify our boots in our 2000 series and make fully customized skates in our 5000 Series boots.

Unfortunately, we are not able to modify any of our models sold as outfits, however Elle is heat moldable so can be adjusted by your Skate Technician.

Thank you,

Marketing Department

Jackson Ultima Skates

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I asked about custom boots. Heres the response from Jackson.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't think they'd supply customs for their lower models. If you decide to go the Elle route, double check with Jackson whether heat molding will accommodate the difference in width, and whether you should order the narrower (and mold out) or order the wider (and mold in).

I wouldn't go with thick socks (too mushy a feel, poor control). The insole might work, but you (or the fitter) has to know what to do, and pick the right materials.

It's difficult when you run into this problem as a beginner. If you knew for sure you would like skating, you should go for a more advanced boot, properly sized. But if you're not sure, it's hard to spend all that money just to find you don't like it. Anyway, good luck! You should have a skate tech handle the heat molding.

treesprite

Final Flight
You can always go the route of stretching and punching. My skates are C toe but my wider foot with the bunion made me need to stretch the boot out and punch the side until it is now at least a D width. The boots are also punched at the pinky toes. There are a lot of things you can do with a puncher device. One of the pieces is actually oblong instead of round, and if you do a couple punches with it along the side it will make the boot wider, not just the bunion spot. Of course, you would have to go to a shop with the equipment, and has someone who knows how to do it with some precision. It should be noted that excessive punching makes boots look ugly, though boot covers will solve that problem.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I was kinda hoping to just get some boots and put them on lol I don't think I'll be buying a pro level boot. I won't get to ice skate much even if I wanted to because of where i live.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I don't know if this will help you at all, but I also started skating only a few months ago and after two months in Grafs, quickly switched to the Edea Overture.

My skate shop mainly had edeas, and I liked how tightly they fitted (even though they might be a little bit on the verge of too tight) and as they were premounted I didn't have the hassle of having to know what blade to get.
As I'm hoping to actually move up at least a little bit, the edeas are sort of my first year option and I just figured by the time I'd need new ones I'd have a better idea of what I wanted anyway. (Which is quite risky, I realise)

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I started with Edea Overture as well, and I still skate in them, now in the middle of working on the harder singles. Planning to move up to Chorus soon, but I love my Overture. They fit so well, never hurt my feet, they're just comfortable, as much as a skating boot can be.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I started with Edea Overture as well, and I still skate in them, now in the middle of working on the harder singles. Planning to move up to Chorus soon, but I love my Overture. They fit so well, never hurt my feet, they're just comfortable, as much as a skating boot can be.

Did you have to break them in for a while? Or were they an immediate fit?
I've heard so many different opinions on wether or not they can be punched out for example, and I'm wondering if that might be an option for the two pressure points I still have.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Did you have to break them in for a while? Or were they an immediate fit?
I've heard so many different opinions on wether or not they can be punched out for example, and I'm wondering if that might be an option for the two pressure points I still have.

They were an immediate fit, I was shocked. But my feet are really thin, so maybe that had something to do with it.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Do edeas work well with really wide feet?

Do far the suggestion to go with the d widths seems the most simple.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I may not have the skates by the end of our very short skate season. If I got the skates tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to practice because the ice is covered.

Good news is I already do things that will help my skaing-ballet, strength training, and I plan to add formal acro training. I can take inline skating lessons in the offseason.

I'm quite excited. I will probably get the Jackson Elles.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Just a couple of questions.

Why no black skates for ladies?
Will be muscular wear out boots faster?
Are their skate intensives for adult beginners?

Mussique

On the Ice
Just a couple of questions.

Will be muscular wear out boots faster?
Are their skate intensives for adult beginners?

1)The white-for-ladies black-for-men thing is tradition. However I've seen bigger footed women with black boots at my home rink and a lot of beginner boys with white boots. And you also have "nude" boots for woman, and custom (Tatsuki Machida wore white boots in his last ice show for example).

No further reason than that; usually women wear skirt+tights in competition, and darker boots would interrupt the lines, usually man wear darker trousers — white boots would be really weird. Then again, you also have a lot of choices if you want to cover the boots.
Frankly when getting new boots there are so many things you have to take into account I'm kind of glad color is not one of them!!

2) Being heavier (muscle or otherwise) will wear your boots slightly faster, yes. Other things that will play a role will be the hours you skate, how you skate (stroking versus jumping and more advanced moves), how heavily you bend on them, how you lace them (never over the ankle), etc. On the overall scheme of things being muscled doesn't affect the boots that much.

3) And I'm not sure if I've understood your last question, but if it's about Edeas for adult beginners then no idea because I don't use them, but you're going to want a boot with enough support for at least single jumps (around 30~ stiffness). Further than that will be uncomfortable at first, less than that will force you to change boots in less than a year. Other that no idea, sorry! If it's about a skating intensive course or something like that no idea :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sometimes, there are different models for ladies and men. Often, though, the same model is offered for ladies and men. So, if you want black, just get the men's. Ladies' and men's sizings, though, are usually different, so you'll need to verify the correct men's size for your feet.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
1)The white-for-ladies black-for-men thing is tradition. However I've seen bigger footed women with black boots at my home rink and a lot of beginner boys with white boots. And you also have "nude" boots for woman, and custom (Tatsuki Machida wore white boots in his last ice show for example).

No further reason than that; usually women wear skirt+tights in competition, and darker boots would interrupt the lines, usually man wear darker trousers — white boots would be really weird. Then again, you also have a lot of choices if you want to cover the boots.
Frankly when getting new boots there are so many things you have to take into account I'm kind of glad color is not one of them!!

2) Being heavier (muscle or otherwise) will wear your boots slightly faster, yes. Other things that will play a role will be the hours you skate, how you skate (stroking versus jumping and more advanced moves), how heavily you bend on them, how you lace them (never over the ankle), etc. On the overall scheme of things being muscled doesn't affect the boots that much.

3) And I'm not sure if I've understood your last question, but if it's about Edeas for adult beginners then no idea because I don't use them, but you're going to want a boot with enough support for at least single jumps (around 30~ stiffness). Further than that will be uncomfortable at first, less than that will force you to change boots in less than a year. Other that no idea, sorry! If it's about a skating intensive course or something like that no idea :)

Thanks for your responses. Sometimes there are dance intensives where you go somewhere and dance for many hours in a day. Like for example, if i went to san diego for a week in the summer and a studio was inviting people to train 6 hours a day for a week. I was wondering if they had the same for skating. Its to help get skills much more quickly.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I had my first lesson yesterday, and I loved it! That was the best I ever skated. I don't have a glide yet, but I think I can. No one every showed me how to skate. I'm not a natural skater lol I don't like the hockey skates, but they didnt seem so bad this time.

One of my coaches said her boots are $1200 custom boots she's had since she was a teen. She was a competitive skater.

The lady who runs everything said i may have to take that trip to Pelham or in the least get inserts for my shoes. Her daughter has duck feet. We've all determined I'll have to spend some money. I can buy Jackson Elles no problem.

This time I got skates according to my right foot, the bigger one. My leftie was almost swimming in the boot, and I felt i had less ankle support on that side. The last time I had them fitted for the leftie. Leftie went in fine, but I had to force my right foot into the boot. No wonder I only skated for 20 min that time.

Another thread answered my question about summer intensives aka camps. I don't know if I'll make it to one yet. I want to for sure.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I finally tried on real figure skating boots. Long story short, my larger foot went numb after 20 minutes. I had to stop skating and take my foot out of the boot. My smaller foot (left) was a little numb after an hour when i took off my boot. I had to stop skating because of issues with the right boot. Its very ill fitting. :(

Mussique

On the Ice
Did you go to a fitter and try them on before the ice? If you did it's possible that you haven't broken them down yet. Usually you should wear them in your home (when you're doing something that doesn't require you to walk, and always with your hard guards on). That, or heat mold them in your pro shop, if the model is good for heat molding.
When I got stiffer boots I also laced them softly and not all the way at first to help myself get used to them.

Of course it's possible that you got the wrong size, but even the right sized boots will feel stiff and uncomfortable at first —unless you're using soft recreational boots.

cl2

Final Flight
I finally tried on real figure skating boots. Long story short, my larger foot went numb after 20 minutes. I had to stop skating and take my foot out of the boot. My smaller foot (left) was a little numb after an hour when i took off my boot. I had to stop skating because of issues with the right boot. Its very ill fitting. :(

It takes about 3-4 weeks to break in new boots. If your boots are brand new and this is the first time you skated in them, it's not surprising that they are still stiff, even if they are the right fit. Here are some things you can do to help the break-in process.

Don't lace them too tight yet. Some people would leave out the top hook for the first few sessions.

Skate short sessions with breaks in between with skates off or loosened to let your feet rest.

When you skate in them, really work them hard, the only way to break them in is to actually use them.

Wear bunga pads or anti-abrasive stuff to avoid blisters (I used duct tape, cheap and effective).

Using a hairdryer to warm the inside of the boot could help a bit, at least until it cools down. (But DO NOT heat the exterior of the boot.)

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Thanks for the responses. I actually used rental figure skates. Before this I had hockey rentals. I fell my first time on figure skates bc I forgot about the toe pick. :palmf:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the problem is my feet. They are very different. I think my right foot is longer and wider than my left. I have the same issue with sneakers. My right foot tore the back of my last pair of sneakers. The more I wear skates, the more I agree with the lady that I need custom skates.

Is it norm to have aching knees after a Skate? I have a torn meniscus in one, but both of them hurt. :/ I'll try wrapping them next time.

My teacher said I did very well for only having two lessons.

Unfortunately the nearest pro shop is a 5 hour drive away. I would be better if I flew up there if I go.

I am planning to buy the Jackson Elle.

Mussique

On the Ice
Oh, then definitely don't worry.
Rentals are always awful: stiff, uncomfortable and don't offer enough support in your ankles. I used rentals for a grand total of two times in the ice before buying my first (super cheap) skates, since my feet actually bleed and had tons of blisters from them. And I'm a pretty average sized (foot-wise) and never had any trouble with my own skates.
So if you have any problem with your feet size rentals are only going to make it worse

You may or may not need custom boots (consult your fitter) but rental skates hurt us all :laugh:

It's normal to have aching everything after your first classes. Then your body will get used to it. But if you've got an history of injuries I'd recommend to ask your doctor. There may be moves you should avoid, or maybe you should always wear knee pads while skating (they're never a bad idea, and I plan to gift myself those in the near future, but a meniscus is a serious issue), etc. Also keep an eye out for any signs of inflammation, etc.
I'm glad you're learning quickly! :hap10: