Skates for adult beginner | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skates for adult beginner

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^^^ not just that, but the blades are always horrible on rentals: Never a proper edge, or one at all for that matter.:scard8:

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Everyone else in class had their own boots. I'm so done with rentals.

It's ok, I accepted I have weird feet. :) Looking back I've had problems with shoes fitting. It's a lot less forgiving with figure skates, I see. I do agree that rentals are aggravating any problems I may have.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
It looks like I have one foot that's a ladies size 9, and the other is a mens size 9. When i wore the ladies size 9, my right foot fell asleep. When I wore the men's size 9, it fit my right foot fine, but I had to stuff my left side with paper towels lol. I feel the difference in the ankle support. I understand there may be sizing discrepancies between the boots.

I want the Jackson Elles. I'll have to go with the bigger size for my right foot.

Mussique

On the Ice
There's one girl at my rink who uses skates half a size up her real size. She usually wears up to three socks and the last ones are skate socks so her feet doesn't slip that much. It's a extreme measure that I would probably hate but it may be helpful in your case —sounds definitely better than paper towels :laugh:
Good luck!

jf12

Final Flight
There's one girl at my rink who uses skates half a size up her real size. She usually wears up to three socks and the last ones are skate socks so her feet doesn't slip that much. It's a extreme measure that I would probably hate but it may be helpful in your case —sounds definitely better than paper towels :laugh:
Good luck!

I would NOT recommend this at all - If you are getting Jackson Elles, it is probably worth buying 1 pair in each size so they fit your feet.

cl2

Final Flight
I would NOT recommend this at all - If you are getting Jackson Elles, it is probably worth buying 1 pair in each size so they fit your feet.

Seeing that so many people have different sized feet, I wonder why manufacturers don't manufacture and sell each side separately, like mix-and-match. Just a thought...

Mussique

On the Ice

I'd totally agree —however my post is under the assumption that OP doesn't want to buy two different sized pairs

jf12

Final Flight
I'd totally agree —however my post is under the assumption that OP doesn't want to buy two different sized pairs

I get that nobody wants to spend more than they have to, but it sounds like the OP's feet are so different, the extra few hundred dollars would be better spent on correct size boots than lessons or ice time they won't be able to really take advantage of. OP's feet are 1.5 sizes different from one another (ladies 9 and mens 9) - that's way more than the half size that's more common that your friend adjusted for with socks.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice

I really dont. That's a lot to spend for my level of skating.
Honestly, it would be better to get customs instead of buying two pairs of skates. If I were gonna gonna spend money, I would get the customs. One of my instructors has customs, but she was a competitive skater. I don't even have a stroke.

The fitter I talked to recommended inserts. She said not to wear a bunch of socks.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I really dont. That's a lot to spend for my level of skating.
Honestly, it would be better to get customs instead of buying two pairs of skates. If I were gonna gonna spend money, I would get the customs. One of my instructors has customs, but she was a competitive skater. I don't even have a stroke.

The fitter I talked to recommended inserts. She said not to wear a bunch of socks.

sinnerspinner - do you have a particular budget for your skates? I sympathize with you b/c I have two very different feet - one is a different width than the other and I ended up getting customs.

I wonder if it would be possible to order from the factory a "stock" pair of boots in two different sizes? Maybe if the fitter calls the manufacturers, they will be sympathetic to the situation? I can see how the fitter will not be able to sell you one in each size unless you pay for two pairs, but maybe the manufacturer would sell it this way to the fitter as a special request?

Maybe another option is to go with a brand like Harlick - I don't think you need a "custom" option if you have feet in two different sizes - you could try calling them and explaining your situation and they may be willing to work with you to sell you a stock boot in two different sizes. I ended up getting full customs from them, but then I have a lot of other problems with my feet besides the difference in size.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Thanks for harlick recommendation! I spoke to a rep today, and he recommended customs. I explained my foot situation.

The price for customs starts at about $800. I was hoping to stay around $250.

I have time to think about what I will do. I hate rentals, so i will be buying my own. In my short time in figure skates, it seems like they are very unforgiving as far as fit!

JSM

On the Ice
I think that's why another poster suggested buying two pairs of cheaper skates, one to fit each foot. It's going to be a lot less expensive than customs.

I know how you feel, my boots cost about that much. It's a very large expenditure and doesn't even include the blades at that point.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I don't think the $800 I was quoted included blades.

If I get two pairs, should I go with Elles or move up to freestyle?

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wear custom Harlick's. $800 is for the boots only. Yes, it's expensive but they are very well made and last for years.

However, you're a beginner; that $800 is IMO too big an investment at this point.

Another quality custom boot maker is SP-Teri. You may want to give them a call but I suspect they will also be in the $800 range.

Also, if your feet are that different size-wise I'm thinking that you will need to buy different-sized blades and then you're going to really be in for even bigger $$$$.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I wear custom Harlick's. $800 is for the boots only. Yes, it's expensive but they are very well made and last for years.

However, you're a beginner; that $800 is IMO too big an investment at this point.

Another quality custom boot maker is SP-Teri. You may want to give them a call but I suspect they will also be in the $800 range.

Also, if your feet are that different size-wise I'm thinking that you will need to buy different-sized blades and then you're going to really be in for even bigger $$$$.

Yeah, $800 plus blades is too much for my level. I'll talk to sp teri.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Here's my two cents. You're a beginner so you need low level boots and blades. They can make you a custom to fit your level if you find the right fitter/tech and talk to the brand you fit. Also with two different sized feet (if it's extreme) you might need two different sized blades (it depends how much of a difference in size you have when it comes to boots).

Good Luck.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I don't have a lot of options as far as fitters. My local fitter is a 10 hour round trip from my house.

I didn't think things would be so complicated. *shrug*

Im still waiting to hear back from sp teri.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Sinnerspinner - going back to my suggestion to reach out to the manufacturer (e.g. Jackson, Riedell, etc.) to see if as a "special case" they would sell your fitter two different low-level boots? The fitter will not sell each boot individually because they'll be left with one of each (that they won't be able to sell), but maybe the manufacturer is more willing to sell to the fitter this way. As Ic3Rabbit points out, you may need different sized blades as well if you have different sized feet, so this could be more economical. I think since Jackson and Riedell make their own blades, maybe you may have more luck with them?

I know you're in a tough spot - being a beginner and not really wanting to spend the money for customs. If you call Riedell and Jackson maybe they will be willing to do this for you in the interest of building a long-term customer? Maybe worth a shot - the worst that can happen is that they say no.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Hi, all! I decided to go with the Jackson Elles. I can't wait to try them on. I'll have to buy inserts for them. I have d widths in the model being phased out.

At least I don't need rentals anymore. I hated them.

I've spoken already with a Jackson rep, and he recommended customs. 😐