Adult Skating And Risk For Injury | Golden Skate

Adult Skating And Risk For Injury

Alifyre

On the Ice
So I'm a former athlete who is really interested in giving skating a try. The issue is, the reason I'm a former athlete is injury forced me out of my other sports. I have a disk problem in my lower back, and one of my ankles is very weak from repeated sprains (why didn't 16 year old me realize rugby was a bad idea? :scratch3:). At 21, most of my body is strong and healthy, and I handle regular exercise and weight training just fine. However, impact activities like running do cause me a decent amount of back pain. Since I've seen all sorts of back and ankle injuries on higher level skaters, I recognize those are probably vulnerable areas for the sport in general (although I know I'm not going to be jumping triples or anything like that). I am a competitive person and might someday want to do adult competitions, but my most basic goal is just find a new challenge and get my body moving more.

So what do y'all think, is skating feasible for a woman like me? If I do try it, should I stay away from jumping once I reach that level? Or would it be safe?

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Hi! Im also trying to get into figure skating with an injury.

Have you talked to a dr or coach?

I have a likely torn meniscus in one knee. I accepted that if i really want to skate, i may need a professional knee brace or at least some good kt tape. My knee is healed enough after meds to where i can take a day or two off and any pain goes away.

Maybe one day youll be doing triples, who knows? :D

Im competitive, too. Ive been working out for years as well. Let us know if/when you compete!

gkelly

Record Breaker
The ankle issue should be OK if you get strong enough, well-fitting boots. It's always possible to injure your ankle skating, but most of the times the boots will protect you.

For back problems, I'd advise checking with a doctor, especially one familiar with skating moves, or a physiotherapist about movements to avoid. Most of skating is gliding and therefore low impact (except when you fall), but jumping involves impact. You might need to avoid jumping, and some flexibility moves, but we can't say for sure. Ask someone who knows your back and knows what the dangers are.

jf12

Final Flight
You might not know until you try it. It isn't just jumping that might be an issue. I do both freestyle and ice dance, and both are really involve the ankles and back a great deal. In fact, I didn't realize until I started doing it how much ice dancing in particular requires a huge amount of back strength and flexibility, to both create extensions, and track with your partner.

It might be the case where your injuries won't allow you to get to the level you want, but it's also possible that skating might also help you build muscles to help your joint stability in the injured areas.

Pink Ice

Rinkside
I skate with multiple herniated discs, ice skating is low impact so long as you don't fall. If you have lumbar herniated discs (the most common place) and you fall on your butt, it is a ton of compression on them. Mine are higher up in my mid back, but I still wear a very cushy tailbone pad to decrease impact. You cannot really afford a ton of falls if you do have this back issue but you cannot make progress if you are terrified of falling. The solution, if you are still going to skate, is to mitigate. Wear protective equipment and be careful. I focus on dance stuff, you can fall doing anything, but falls while attempting jumps are very common.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I agree that figure skating is low impact compared to running. You're gliding, and even when you land a jump, you don't land flat-footed; you land toepick first, roll down onto the rocker of the blade, then glide out on the flat of the blade. I say go for it, but be smart about it. Build your balance and edge control before launching yourself into the air, and wear butt pads until you figure out what does and doesn't bother your back. I agree that boots with good support (but not so much that you can't bend your ankles & knees) will protect your ankle. Do NOT wear rental skates, ever.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I agree that figure skating is low impact compared to running. You're gliding, and even when you land a jump, you don't land flat-footed; you land toepick first, roll down onto the rocker of the blade, then glide out on the flat of the blade. I say go for it, but be smart about it. Build your balance and edge control before launching yourself into the air, and wear butt pads until you figure out what does and doesn't bother your back. I agree that boots with good support (but not so much that you can't bend your ankles & knees) will protect your ankle. Do NOT wear rental skates, ever.
THIS. Rental skates are terrible.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So I'm a former athlete who is really interested in giving skating a try. The issue is, the reason I'm a former athlete is injury forced me out of my other sports. I have a disk problem in my lower back, and one of my ankles is very weak from repeated sprains (why didn't 16 year old me realize rugby was a bad idea? :scratch3:). At 21, most of my body is strong and healthy, and I handle regular exercise and weight training just fine. However, impact activities like running do cause me a decent amount of back pain. Since I've seen all sorts of back and ankle injuries on higher level skaters, I recognize those are probably vulnerable areas for the sport in general (although I know I'm not going to be jumping triples or anything like that). I am a competitive person and might someday want to do adult competitions, but my most basic goal is just find a new challenge and get my body moving more.

So what do y'all think, is skating feasible for a woman like me? If I do try it, should I stay away from jumping once I reach that level? Or would it be safe?
You really should check with your doctor. Every body, every injury, every condition is different. Taking medical advice from random people over the InterNet could be hazardous to your health.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
It'd be wise to check with your doctor before you take on a new type of activity.

I have a herniated disc in my back, and old ankle injuries from gymnastics. I have no problems with my ankles in skating, as my boots are very supportive. You could hammer a nail in with my boots.

For my back, I'm good. But YMMV, so check with your doctor. At my level of skating, to be honest, I fall very little. I'm not doing big jumps - I mostly do ice dance, moves, and single jumps.

Slowpoke

Rinkside
I'm 62, and have always been active in bicycling and martial arts. One thing I found out quickly when I started skating 8 months ago is skating uses muscles that are not used a lot in some other forms of exercise. It took me a month before I could get over two laps around the rink without my shins burning and cramping.

Start out slowly and gradually and give those support muscles time to adapt. And yes, rental skates - yuck!!

Slowpoke

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

The number one thing I'm going to tell you is to consult your doctor on this and perhaps also talk to the director of the skating club in your area as well.
With your back and ankle injuries, skating isn't going to be a party for you. I have extensive ankle, knee, lower back, and hip injuries/issues that will never go away due to my skating career.

I am one for encouraging people to learn to skate and enjoy it, but first in your case I encourage you to get a doctor or physio's advice before pursuing it in any way.

ETA: If you do get the green light to skate, do NOT use rental skates. Get yourself fitted for a decent pair of beginner (up to single jumps) skates and be fitted by a skate pro. You might actually be able to go with a bit stiffer boot than that due to your existing ankle issues.

Good luck! :)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
As a physical therapist I also suggest seeing a doctor or PT first. If you see an orthopedic PT you can tell them you are interested in skating and they will be able to address that. Even without skating- it is so much easier to treat low back pain when you are younger (I treat a lot of chronic pain patients). There are also a lot of things you can do to improve ankle stability.

As for adult skating- once you are cleared to do it, I would say go for it. It is really rewarding and the adult skating community is a lot of fun. And you wouldn't be jumping right away anyway so I wouldn't be too worried about that yet- you would have time to just get used to skating and turning first. Learn to Skate programs are built to progress skills. Skating is hard but it is also wonderful.

I also echo everyone else- say no to rental skates. When I was back in Michigan visiting my parents for Christmas I went skating with my siblings and wore rentals. It was a hot mess- I've been skating since I was 7 and I legitimately could not skate in them. It was hysterical. Rentals have no ankle support and are deliberately dull.