N.Korean Skaters Forfeit Tickets to Olympic | Golden Skate

N.Korean Skaters Forfeit Tickets to Olympic

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel bad for the skaters that trained so hard for this.

lappo

Final Flight
Awful news! I do not know much about them, where do they train? Because I saw video of them training in Canada. If only they could find a way to go as neutral athletes it would be great for them but I doubt that they would be allowed to leave their country...

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Wow, I didn't realize they were the only North Korean athletes to qualify for any Olympic event this year. This is very, very sad. They're a great team and a joy to watch.

I feel terrible for Ryom and Kim (and frankly, all the North Korean citizens).

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I consider myself very fortunate to have watched them live at Nebelhorn. They were lovely skaters to watch and seemed very happy to have achieved a qualifying spot. I also think this is incredibly sad news and feel very sorry that their legitimate desire to go to the Olympics has been sacrificed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Oh i feel bad for them. They earned their spot so well. I had noticed them at 2016 4CC and since i wanted them so bad at olympics. Hope that they will be sent at worlds.

brightphoton

Medalist
A pair of North Korean figure skaters have given up their chance to compete in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. The skaters, the North's only athletes to qualify for the Olympics, failed to register for the event by the deadline.

"Not submitting an application to the ISU is usually interpreted as forfeiting the spot," a KSU official said.

They can't even bother to fill out a couple of forms. Sounds like they didn't particularly want to go to the Olympics anyway.

starla16

Medalist
The blessing in desguise that Russia needed.

Now am certain Russia will not be barred from the Olympics, this created a leverage. Kim Jong will be pointing missiles to South Korea by Olympics and the IOC being very political nowadays will need all the leverage (they will ask countries with influence in return that North Korea stop provocations) they need to make the games Not empty and an embarassment.

starla16

Medalist
Oh i feel bad for them. They earned their spot so well. I had noticed them at 2016 4CC and since i wanted them so bad at olympics. Hope that they will be sent at worlds.

its not their decision but the mad man Kim Jong Un. He withdrew them because he is preparing sabotage at Olympics, guaranteed the latest ICBM updates will be pointing at South Korea just in time for the Olympics.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, I am so sad. I hope they get a wildcard or something. I was really looking forward to seeing them at the Olympics.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
They worked so hard, I can't believe they're out because no one turned in some paperwork. What's going on here? :no:

Andrea82

Medalist
They can't even bother to fill out a couple of forms. Sounds like they didn't particularly want to go to the Olympics anyway.

It's the North Korea skating association that didn't fill the form (because at this stage the spots are assigned to countries and not to individal athletes) rather than the skaters themselves.

nimi

Medalist
ICYMI, the article also said:
North Korea's only remaining route to the Olympics, which start in February, would be through a wild card granted by the International Olympic Committee. The IOC intends to get North Korea to join the event with the hope of staging an "Olympics for Peace."
So basically, the IOC can -- and likely will -- invite them to compete anyway. Whether N. Korea wants to accept the invitation is another matter. (Doesn't look like they're interested, but who knows.)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am so so disappointed to hear this. I absolutely love them.

It is obvious that the paperwork not getting to the IOC has nothing to do with Tae-Ok and Ju-Sik, or their team, but has everything to do with their government. And this really angers me. That they are missing out on their chance to compete at the Olympics because of politics.

But, I've always held the World Championships in higher esteem than the Olympics. So, as long as they get to compete in Milan, I'll be happy.

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Nooo! I also saw them at Nebelhorn, training outside of the rink. Nice people, including their team. They are talented and should be able to go. :(

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
ICYMI, the article also said:
So basically, the IOC can -- and likely will -- invite them to compete anyway. Whether N. Korea wants to accept the invitation is another matter. (Doesn't look like they're interested, but who knows.)

Hang on. A wildcard to the Olympics?! I've never heard tell of that before. Has it ever happened before? In any sport?

So, if this was to happen, there would be 1 extra partnership competing in the Pairs Short Programme. So 21 instead of 20. Which is great - the more the merrier!

But, what about the Free Skate?

I remember one time proposing that at the Majors, the defending champion should be allowed to enter the SP as an additional entry on top of however many slots their country had earned. Which is what happens in some ski sports. But then Mathman (I think) pointed out that if the defending champion finished in a position in the SP that got them through to the Free Skate, that would mean that they would effectively be doing somebody who had actually earned the right to compete at the event out of their place in the Free Skate.

Of course, this situation is slightly different, as Ryom and Kim did actually qualify for a place in the Olympics. But, if they did get into the Top 16 in the SP (which I think is possible), that wouldn't stop whoever finished in 17[SUP]th[/SUP] position complaining!

So, all in all, I think I would prefer Ryom and Kim to be going to the Olympics as of right rather than as a wildcard.

CaroLiza_fan

Alex D

Record Breaker
Well, those games doesn't make any sense already. Too much politics involved

It is quite a disgusting show to be honest. A country is labeled Axis of Evil and from then on, provoked daily until a reason is found (even if it´s a lie), to attack. Nobody cares about the athletes, about the civilians, it´s just sad.
But what to expect if we just stand by while people are slaughtered at Yemen.

Glad Russia is not giving in, hopefully the IOC makes the right desicion.