Boyang Jin withdraws from GPF | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Boyang Jin withdraws from GPF

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Jason but sad that yet another top skater is injured. Where is it all going to stop? Is it my imagination or are there more injuries across the board than ever before! Have to believe that it isn't going to stop until there are some regulations around the number of quads in a program, etc. etc. How many skaters do we have to lose because they're pushing the limit? Boyang was a breath of fresh air. I hope he's recovered in time for the rest of the season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Jason but sad that yet another top skater is injured. Where is it all going to stop? Is it my imagination or are there more injuries across the board than ever before!

I think the fact that these skaters are adding extra quads, and trying to execute them during the back half of their programs has a lot to do with these recent injuries. It's one thing to do it in competition but, when you're at practice, your all out run through usually happens after hours of practice. I'm happy for Jason but I never like to see skater get injured during such an important season.

JustMe

On the Ice
I feel bad for any athlete that sustains an injury during their competitive season, specially in an olympic season, but I feel relieved when they choose to withdraw from a competition to take the time to rest an heal instead of worsening the injury. Yet I wonder if these skaters, like Boyang and Medvedeva, that choose to compete while injured regret doing so. Why do people applaud and label as brave the skaters who chose to ignore their injuries and perform way below their best, just to withdraw from their next competition? When I learn a skater competed injured, brave is the last adjective that comes to mind. I would use "brave" if the competition was a major event, like the world championships or the olympic games, but not Skate America. I can understand that during an olympic season, skaters wanna build consistency, momentum, reputation, and the existence perhaps of pressure from federations to compete, but as soon as there's an injury, I would imagine the strategy should automatically be to do everything possible to be healed, healthy, and ready for the olympics, even if that includes being off the ice for weeks.
Now that I got that off my chest, :hap36:, I think this GPF should be very interesting regardless of the noticeable absences. :cheer:

mrrice

Record Breaker
When was the last time the US had 3 Men in the GPF? Has it ever happened?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well everyone has their day of blues and highs and lows. Just being human. Glad to hear he seems to be doing okay and enjoying wine shopping while smooching some young lady.... how the heck do you know these things VB lol...

haha.. we have a very good stalker in Patrick's fan fest :) and she has a wonderful webste dedicated to Patrick's fan... you should visit us to find all of the chiddy chiddy bang bang stories LOL

Regarding Boy Boy : get well soon!!!! life without your quad lutz is not the same for us, skating fans!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am sad for Boyang but also relieved he is taking time to recover. The end game is the Olympics and while I am sad he has to miss I hope that means we will see him healthy in South Korea. But seriously, what cursed this season?

I am also happy for Jason- I think it will be an interesting test to see the three US men compete against each other- especially Jason and Adam. It will also be interesting to see if Nathan can put two clean programs together.

Also- can Jason conquer his competing in Japan curse?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am sad for Boyang but also relieved he is taking time to recover. The end game is the Olympics and while I am sad he has to miss I hope that means we will see him healthy in South Korea. But seriously, what cursed this season?

I am also happy for Jason- I think it will be an interesting test to see the three US men compete against each other- especially Jason and Adam. It will also be interesting to see if Nathan can put two clean programs together.

Also- can Jason conquer his competing in Japan curse?

I agree....I think this puts a lot of pressure on Adam. Even if Nathan Bombs, he's going to make the team. I don't know what to make of Vincent since he's had such a rough fall. When you add Max Arron to the mix....It's going to be very complicated for the judges. Should Alexander Johnson win Golden Spin, that throws another log on the fire...

Me at my nationals dinner party........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XypVcv77WBU

Eclair

Medalist
Heal well Boyang! I wish you a speedy recovery!

I hope he comes up stronger than ever out of this! I really found his Skate America skate quite courageous, even if not perfect, he still managed to keep his nerves, do what he can do, and score the highest TES of all participants in the FS. Boyang may be such a adoreable and likable guy, but I've always thought that he is also mentally very strong and SA just proved that to me again.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Get better Boyang..:hopelessness: Such a champ for skating in SA with those ankles and I'm happy he withdrew so he can heal.

nopenopenopenopenope - see this is the attitude we have to working on getting rid of in skating if we want to combat the injury toll. Skating with an injury isn't being a "champ" or being "brave" or whatever. It's foolish.

When was the last time the US had 3 Men in the GPF? Has it ever happened?

2009 - Abbott, Lysacek and Weir all qualified. Lysacek won, Weir was third, and Abbott was fourth.

...and Yuzuru Hanyu was JGPF champion, with Song Nan and Ross Miner on the podium. The US also had three JGPF men that year - Miner, Hochstein and Dornbush. Gachinski finished sixth (there were eight JGPF qualifiers at that time).

Alex D

Record Breaker
This is the Spiderman guy right? He was very fun to watch, hopefully he can recover and come back. :agree:

yude

Record Breaker
Please get well soon, Boyang!! (I don't even remember how many times I had this kind of wish in this season :drama:)

I hope we'll see all skaters injured appear being healthy and fit after GPS :pray:

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
So sad as he's one of my faves but hopefully he gets well soon, good luck for Jason Brown as it could be a good way to redeem himself :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My guess is the rulebook states the deadline for calling in a sub for the GPF.

For regular GP events, I believe the host has to fill a spot if the withdrawal is more than 2 weeks out. Less than 2 weeks, the host Federation can decide what to do. With S.A., it appeared that they tried to fill up the spots with US based international skaters.

Unless there was a step in between that I'm unfamilar with, that is completely false. In the last few weeks before Skate America 2017:

1. Russian Serafima Sakhonovich replaced W/D Russian Anna Pogorilaya.

2. Canadian Roman Sadovsky replaced W/D Korean Cho. (sorry I don't recall Cho's full name)

3. Canadian Liam Firus replaced W/D Belgian Jorik Hendrickx.

I suppose it's fun for people to always assume the worst about America and Americans. :(

Please correct me if I missed something.

mrrice

Record Breaker
nopenopenopenopenope - see this is the attitude we have to working on getting rid of in skating if we want to combat the injury toll. Skating with an injury isn't being a "champ" or being "brave" or whatever. It's foolish.

2009 - Abbott, Lysacek and Weir all qualified. Lysacek won, Weir was third, and Abbott was fourth.

...and Yuzuru Hanyu was JGPF champion, with Song Nan and Ross Miner on the podium. The US also had three JGPF men that year - Miner, Hochstein and Dornbush. Gachinski finished sixth (there were eight JGPF qualifiers at that time).

I was thinking it might have been in the early 90's. I saw Todd Eldredge beat Christopher Bowman and Paul Wylie at Skate America in 1991. Another skater from that era was Scott Davis. He was not the best competitor but, he did have beautiful spins.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Unless there was a step in between that I'm unfamilar with, that is completely false. In the last few weeks before Skate America 2017:

2. Canadian Roman Sadovsky replaced W/D Korean Cho. (sorry I don't recall Cho's full name)

I suppose it's fun for people to always assume the worst about America and Americans. :(

It's not really a criticism though. Lots of people thought they'd go with skaters nearby. They had a competition on Thanksgiving weekend. Of course it's easier for them to choose skaters in North America, especially Montreal since you can drive from there. Both Liam and Roman are based in Canada (Liam's in Montreal and Roman's in Toronto). And Liam only found out he got invited on Wednesday morning. I doubt he could have gotten there if he hadn't been able to drive.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not really a criticism though. Lots of people thought they'd go with skaters nearby. They had a competition on Thanksgiving weekend. Of course it's easier for them to choose skaters in North America, especially Montreal since you can drive from there. Both Liam and Roman are based in Canada (Liam's in Montreal and Roman's in Toronto). And Liam only found out he got invited on Wednesday morning. I doubt he could have gotten there if he hadn't been able to drive.

The other person said that Skate America officials only offered the opportunity to US skaters. That clearly is not the case. Two Canadian men and one Russian lady had the opportunity to compete at SA when others unfortunately had to withdraw.

concorde

Medalist

I wrote the original comment and it was taken completely out of context.

We were discussing when a skater could withdraw from the GPF and I commented that for the regular GP events, a host federation did not have to invite a substitute if a skater withdrew less than 2 weeks out. Then I commented that with SA, the US opted to invite US based international skaters for those last minute invitees (less than 2 weeks out when it was not required). When I made that comment, I knew that a bunch of substitutions had been made and I had forgotten who where the original invitees and who was substitutes. But I also know that there were at least two skaters/teams that were US based but represented different countries (now that I think about it, I just remember a third). You all have have corrected me to say that the last minute invitees were not US based skaters but for the men, at least one skater that could drive to the event.

My personal hope is that whenever a skater withdraws from a GP event, a substitute is invited. Since the host federation pays the travel costs, I can understand why they would go for the skater who is cheapest to get there but still meets the criteria.

I was applauding the US trying to maximize on the number of skater, but still watching it bottom line. Not sure how my comment got twisted into that I was dissing the USFS.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wrote the original comment and it was taken completely out of context. ....

I was applauding the US trying to maximize on the number of skater, but still watching it bottom line. Not sure how my comment got twisted into that I was dissing the USFS.

Thank you for this clarification. I can only say that it sounded that way to me at the time; I did not purposely twist anything. But I do know that it's possible and sometimes easy to misunderstand posts around here. In this case, it was the phrase "US based" that caused my confusion. My apologies.

ETA: And I join everyone in wishing Boyang a speedy and thorough recovery.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
The other person said that Skate America officials only offered the opportunity to US skaters. That clearly is not the case. Two Canadian men and one Russian lady had the opportunity to compete at SA when others unfortunately had to withdraw.
I read the comment. The person meant skaters based in US or nearby that didnt require visa application.
This could mean skaters from any country