Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi!

Double whammy here...Too old to even think about being competitive and transgender, but going for it. (Or going to die trying, possibly.)

Obviously, just like every other aspect of life, people's transitions are completely unique. How your body takes (or rejects in some cases) the hormones, how quickly the hormones affect you and in what ways.

I was only on my testosterone injections for 4 months before I had an insurance issue, and am just now getting able to get back on them.

Even if your body takes the hormones well, the changes are very gradual.

Here's what it's done for me over the 4 months on and 2-3 months off - Facial hair and redistribution of fat and muscle, not change in mass of muscle or fat, any differently than before injections. As far as exercise and "performance" goes, nothing has changed, but I was born with a naturally athletic build and have been doing athletics on and off for my entire life; ballet, volleyball, soccer, fire performing (dancing if you must), hooping and even weight lifting.

Everyone worries about the concern of it being fair, and I could see far more concern with MTF, as SOME, not all, biological males are just naturally more resilient and athletically inclined than biological females, whereas biological females usually have an easier time with gaining and maintaining flexibility, and biological males tend to be the same, but with power and strength.

Transitioning from female to male, even with injections you're probably at a disadvantage still when it comes to competing with people who are born biologically male, depending on where in your transition you're at, (I'm looking at this from an ongoing HRT / pre-OP standpoint, because...Hi. That's me.), because the replacement goes at such a gradual pace that there's really not a lot of performance boosting to it...
Not to mention if your T levels are too high, your body can convert it into excess estrogen and essentially cancel out the effects of the testosterone, and it's also hard on your liver, so doses are based on the individual and what is healthy and maintaining for that individual, never too much, or anything extremely high that could be considered performance enhancing, and if that was the case then you'd need to find a new doctor, because that's begging for health problems. (RIP Liver and Kidneys, it was nice knowing you.)

That being said, if you'd been competing as a female athlete all your life, like a gymnast or a figure skater and you had the flexibility edge on the other guys now that you're transitioning, or if you'd been competing as a male all your life and brought your super awesome quad jumps into the female competition, I could see where the playing field seems questionable....

HOWEVER, hear me out, male or female, inside or out, something that you've worked hard to achieve as either sex or gender, before, during or after transition, is something you've worked hard to do REGARDLESS, and should be treated as such without taking your physical sex and gender identity into account.

But you know...that's me... just dropping a little bit of an insight bomb from my end.

I will now descend back into my safety net of memes and cooking videos, as that was hands down the most serious topic I've commented on in quite some time, and it's really draining.

Ciao! :agree:

Very interesting post with a lot of information to absorb. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and perspective.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thanks so much for your post stevenlee. That was really insightful, and giving a view from inside the discussion as it were. Kudos!

Manitou

Medalist
As discussed already, there are many factors that go into gender identity:

1. Hormones
2. Genitalia
3. DNA
4. How others perceive you
5. How you perceive yourself

I said before - if the thread lives I may not resist joining. If others express opinions that may potentially offend mine I have a guaranteed right to speak.
So in my opinion the only criteria is 2. There is no other way, there has never been another way and never will be. You are born with male genitals then you are a man for life. If you are born with female genitals you are a female for life. There is no third way, there is no gray area, there is no transition, there is no change.
Sometimes the nature goes wrong when 1 or 3 are not in sync with 2, then there might be some psychological help available. But it concerns a tiny minority. Whatever have worked for tens of thousands of years must work now and must work for another tens of thousands of years.
As to 4 and 5 - those criteria do NOT exist. If a scientist says otherwise then he/she is disqualified.
I may get infraction for this, but sorry, I did not start it. If people say opinions I have a right to say mine.

If a scientist says otherwise then he/she is disqualified...

If people say opinions I have a right to say mine.

You do, of course,. But if your opinion is that people who do not agree with your opinion are "disqualified" from contributing to the discussion, ... well, gosh.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Whatever have worked for tens of thousands of years must work now and must work for another tens of thousands of years.

I think what's different now is that we have a better understanding of human psychology. Rather than dismissing things as a mental illness that requires counseling, society as a whole is doing a better job of making reasonable accommodations to make people feel normal and included. I think there was one transgender tennis player in the 1970s who competed as a woman, but this isn't a widespread phenomenon.

Manitou

Medalist
You do, of course,. But if your opinion is that people who do not agree with your opinion are "disqualified" from contributing to the discussion, ... well, gosh.

Not from discussion, I am welcoming any unrestricted discussions about this topic, but as credible "scientists". And I don't want my tax money to contribute to their "research". And I also added "in my opinion".

Manitou

Medalist
... society as a whole is doing a better job of making reasonable accommodations to make people feel normal and included. .

In the theory of gravity if two bodies fall onto one another then each of them moves towards the other opposite to its contribution to the total mass. So if a person falls on Earth then it's the person who does most of the trip, rather than the Earth moving towards the person.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the theory of gravity if two bodies fall onto one another then each of them moves towards the other opposite to its contribution to the total mass. So if a person falls on Earth then it's the person who does most of the trip, rather than the Earth moving towards the person.

You are entitled to your opinion. You have stated it. This is a LBGTQ-friendly forum. This thread was not created to debate transgenderism itself, but the ISU's policy on transgender skaters. It is not a philosophy or ideology to be discussed. If this thread turns discriminatory, hateful, if folks start pontificating, and/or it turns "political" in nature, it will disappear.

Last edited:

notunprepared

On the Ice
You are entitled to your opinion. You have stated it. This is a LBGTQ-friendly forum. This thread was not created to debate transgenderism itself, but the ISU's policy on transgender skaters. It is not a philosophy or ideology to be discussed. If this thread turns discriminatory, hateful, if folks start pontificating, and/or it turns "political" in nature, it will disappear.

Can it just be locked instead if it turns into a cesspool? There's some good information about ioc rules and speculation about how the isu might use/adjust them for figure skating on the first couple of pages.

And yeah, I didn't intend for this to become a debate. Of any kind. I just wanted to know if there were skaters like me, or whether it would even be possible for trans skaters to compete properly. That question has been answered, so I feel like the discussion should be over? Unless the isu makes an announcement on the topic, but that's probably unlikely to happen anytime soon. And then it'll be it's own thread anyway.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can it just be locked instead if it turns into a cesspool? There's some good information about ioc rules and speculation about how the isu might use/adjust them for figure skating on the first couple of pages.

And yeah, I didn't intend for this to become a debate. Of any kind. I just wanted to know if there were skaters like me, or whether it would even be possible for trans skaters to compete properly. That question has been answered, so I feel like the discussion should be over? Unless the isu makes an announcement on the topic, but that's probably unlikely to happen anytime soon. And then it'll be it's own thread anyway.

We will close the thread for now and move it to the Reference/Lutz forum. When new information becomes available, we can re-open for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.