Are There Good Cooks/ Bakers on GS?? | Golden Skate

Are There Good Cooks/ Bakers on GS??

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to be hosting a small get together for US Nationals and I was thinking about serving a Baked Brie. I have seen it wrapped in Puffed Pasty, Pizza Dough, and Baked unwrapped topped with raspberry jam and walnuts. Do any of you have a good Baked Brie recipe. I'm over cheese platters and frankly, so are my friends. If you any ideas for a fancy, yet easy cheese related appetizer, let me know. I'm tempted to try to make Timpano for the movie Big Night but, I was warned not to try something difficult when you have guests coming over.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4lZcEY4nII

Thanks, Mr.Rice

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm thinking puffed pastry is the way to go, seems lighter than Pizza Dough.

I've never made one, though.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm going to be hosting a small get together for US Nationals and I was thinking about serving a Baked Brie. I have seen it wrapped in Puffed Pasty, Pizza Dough, and Baked unwrapped topped with raspberry jam and walnuts. Do any of you have a good Baked Brie recipe. I'm over cheese platters and frankly, so are my friends. If you any ideas for a fancy, yet easy cheese related appetizer, let me know. I'm tempted to try to make Timpano for the movie Big Night but, I was warned not to try something difficult when you have guests coming over.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4lZcEY4nII

Thanks, Mr.Rice

Try this one. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page for the full recipe and instructions. :)
Baked Brie w/Cranberry

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Try this one. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page for the full recipe and instructions. :)
Baked Brie w/Cranberry

funny i was going to recommend my baked brie w cranberry recipe ;)

HAHA

mine is even simpler

no need for dough... just the cheese

I make the cranberry sauce from scratch with fresh berries, a bit of orange juice and zest, a bit of sugar.... you just cook it through until the berries are tender...

you can add so many things to this : i like to add festive spices : star anise, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, grated fresh ginger ...

you can add a bit of port wine as well or a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar

i often like to use a mixture of chopped dried cranberry to my sauce for texture.

I don't have recipes as i just do things from scratch with what i have and not following recipes...

Another one is nuts that you toast in oil and spices which you then add to a caramel or dulce de leche...

I serve these with baguette or brioche

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is not a baked recipe. I love stopping at the cheese counter in the grocery store and testing the samples. There was one that really perked me up. It was soft brie on a cinnamon cracker topped with apple butter. I'm thinking about serving for a New Year's party. I hadn't had apple butter for quite a while so it was a nice treat. The cinnamon crackers can be expensive so shop around.

heyang

Record Breaker
I've made savory palmiers for the last couple of New Year's eve parties. Essentially a double rolled stuffed puff pastry - elephant ears. You don't have to double roll, you can do just one single roll, which sometime helps people figure out which is which.

Last year I made ham with cheddar, marsala mushroom and balsamic onion caraway with brie (although the cheese is just for 'glue'). It's pretty simple and you can make your own flavorings. I just did searches for 'savory palmiers' to come up with ideas.

they do holdover pretty well and can be eaten room temp or hot. For 40 people, I used one puff pastry sheet for mushroom and one of onion at this year's party, but we had TONS of food. So, check out how many boxes/sheets (usually 2 per box) are called for on the recipe and adjust other ingredients accordingly.

Bonus is that you can make them in advance and put them uncooked in the freezer. Thaw them in the refrigerator the night before you want to bake. Slice and bake and you can store them in an air tight container - just make sure they are at least room temp when serving - they can go into the oven for a quick warm up.

heyang

Record Breaker

Thanks, Mr.Rice

Definitely do NOT use pizza dough. Too dense unless rolled super thin for such a relatively mild cheese. Puff pastry is a little more elegant, too.