Who's continuing after the Olympics?? | Golden Skate

Who's continuing after the Olympics??

bobbob

Medalist
Probably a bit early...but just to know so we can reminisce/celebrate the last few months of several skaters!

Ladies:
I think all top ones will attempt to stay except Carolina and Ashley Wagner...the real question is who will remain consistent as they grow and mature...

Men:
Yuzuru Hanyu-likely, maybe until 2019 Worlds in Japan or 2022, though if he wins...
Shoma Uno-yes, for sure
Javier Fernandez-very unlikely
Boyang Jin- yes, for sure
Nathan Chen-most likely, though not a guarantee/I hear he wants to start college full-time
Patrick Chan-no

Paris:
Sui/Han-yes, for sure
Savchenko/Massot-no
Tarasova/Morosov-yes, for sure
Yu/Jin-likely, but Zhang is getting old
Stolbova/Klimov-likely, but not a sure thing given injuries
Duhamel/Radford-no
James/Cipres-no

Dance: (don't follow that closely)
Virtue/Moir-no
Papadakis/Cizeron-yes
Shibutanis-most likely
Chock/bates-likely
Weaver/Poje-probably not(?)
Capelinni/Lanotte-probably not
H/D- most likely

skatefan17

On the Ice
In all seriousness, I can't start to think of favorites being gone without being a bit sad. Ashley and Gracie were who got me back into skating and to imagine both being gone is just too sad. Are you sure about Carolina tho? I could see her sticking around one more year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For the men, I'm not even sure who will make it to the Olympics. These guys are hurting themselves with all the difficult jumps they're training.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nathan said in a recent interview he definitely wants to stick around. And James/Cipres have said they'll do at least one more year for sure.

Weathergal

Medalist
I could see Weaver / Poje sticking around until at least 2020 since Worlds are in Montreal that year. (Perhaps just my wishful thinking. :) )

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmmm, I’ll just stick to the Canadians who I think will stick around for another quad:

Kirsten and Mike
Julianne and Charlie
Camille and Drew

Piper and Paul

Gabby
Kaetlyn - kind of a toss up I think, pending on how she does at the OG. She’s still only 22.
Alaine - I’m not sure how I feel about what her plans will be post OG.

Nam
Nicholas
Keegan
Roman

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I could see Weaver / Poje sticking around until at least 2020 since Worlds are in Montreal that year. (Perhaps just my wishful thinking. :) )

Yesssss, I hope for the same. I’m already gearing up for the 2020 rumble in the Montreal jungle, featuring me vs 4neverpojes. :devil:

evasorange

Final Flight
I just can't imagine mens without Javi:sad21:I hope he gives us one more year after this, because I don't want these two programs to be the last we see of him.

Miller

Final Flight
I hope James/Cipres stick around, they're on a real upswing and could become European champions/world medallists IMO even if they're too old for the next Olympics.

Edit - didn't see SnowWhite's post. Good. Always a shame if someone retires when you can see more to come.

GreenGan

Rinkside
Nathan said in a recent interview he definitely wants to stick around. And James/Cipres have said they'll do at least one more year for sure.

Actually James and Cipres said that they will "logiquement" (probably) retire after this season "what better season ?" They don't want to do one bad last season and leave with a down. (Morgan did say that if the interviewer gave him 1 million euros to continue he'll consider not retiring though ;) ) It was an interview on a french website but since it's my first post here I can't give you the link.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually James and Cipres said that they will "logiquement" (probably) retire after this season "what better season ?" They don't want to do one bad last season and leave with a down. (Morgan did say that if the interviewer gave him 1 million euros to continue he'll consider not retiring though ;) ) It was an interview on a french website but since it's my first post here I can't give you the link.

When was the interview from? I definitely saw one last year in which they said they'd do at least one more season for sure, but they weren't sure about a whole other quad. They could have changed their minds since then though.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Pairs:
Savchenko/massot - very likely, Aljona wants another season.
Yu/zhang-very likely. Zhang is getting old but better and better

bobbob

Medalist
Pairs:
Savchenko/massot - very likely, Aljona wants another season.
Yu/zhang-very likely. Zhang is getting old but better and better

For Savchenko/Massot, surely, not another quad? Aliona already has several world gold meals, her goal is the OGM...so I'm not sure why she would stay an extra season unless it is to open the possibility of another quad? Yu/Zhang, yeah probably they have stated their intentions and the split probably happened with 2022 in mind.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
When was the interview from? I definitely saw one last year in which they said they'd do at least one more season for sure, but they weren't sure about a whole other quad. They could have changed their minds since then though.

They did.
"We won’t continue until the next Olympic Games, that’s too long for us. Maybe one year after the Games, that depends on how next year goes and if we’re still skating well and we we’re still enjoying it."

Via ISU interview, by Tatjana Flade.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Another interview from the ISU page, also by Tatiana Flade, clearly indicates that Javi won't continue after this season.

"It’s kind of sad at the same time. My energy is kind of going away already. I want to do it sometimes and I don’t have the same energy as maybe other skaters can have if you are younger or haven’t been in senior skating at a high level for so long. I’ve been here, it seems like forever: 2007 in seniors; before I did juniors. But to see how much I’ve accomplished in these many years is unbelievable. I am happy that also, if this was my last Grand Prix, I was able to win it. Maybe not with the best performance but it is a real goodbye to the Grand Prix and I am glad I was able to get the title"

GreenGan

Rinkside
It was this year at the french Masters, so around beginning of october.