Wagner Goes Back to LaLa Land | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Wagner Goes Back to LaLa Land

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Just for the record, "inhibit" can mean hinder or restrain (make more difficult) as well as prevent (make impossible). I myself would never use it in the "make impossible" sense and was surprised to see that meaning. Probably the poster who first used is used it in the sense that I would.

Hmm, I think the word for make more difficult would be "impair". Inhibit means to prevent. I'm sure you could qualify a statement by saying "could inhibit" though. I know, semantics. My back inhibits my ability to skate, but it only impairs my ability to walk. Anyhoo, I'm glad she's going to LaLaLand because MR was too stale and overused. I don't get the feeling she's really THAT hungry anymore and I have serious doubts she'll place top 3, again. And if it's like four years ago with Mirai in 3rd and Ashley in 4th, I just don't think she deserves to bump Mirai again. Or Tennell, or Chen if she brings it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i can't take all these dramaramaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much things to say so little time. So busy with work/life these days.
YES YES YES!!!!!! (channelling Meg Ryan in when Henry met Sally in Tat's voice: Da Da Da )

Love the choice Ashley! Go get them gurl!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Amei

Record Breaker
Well if the US ladies weren't already a mess let's add a new layer to it - take the most relatively consistent skater the US has and throw a new program in the mix, when she's already struggling with technical content.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Well that's a bold move, in a very tight field.
But good luck! Sometimes you simply have to risk it.

binky

Rinkside
I hope this means less posing and winking! and maybe just trying to skate better than the others! that posing, winking, wiggling, shimmying are pretty unflattering

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well if the US ladies weren't already a mess let's add a new layer to it - take the most relatively consistent skater the US has and throw a new program in the mix, when she's already struggling with technical content.

It's going to be tough to watch Nationals live. I will be so nervous for Ashley (and others). A lot of our women are right on the margin of qualifying for the Olympics and several will end up heartbroken. None, except Bradie, will enter with any confidence.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I thought she was going back to Moonlight? :p

Joking aside, this is a gutsy but a good power move for Wagner. She needs to shake things up, and I'm glad we'll get to see her LaLaLand program at Nationals (and hopefully the Olympics!).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've read speculation that she's been working on LaLa Land this entire time, but wasn't ready to use it in the grand prix and that's why she used Moulin Rouge.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wish she would ditch her short program. I have never liked it and it's too over the top for me and I say that as an AW fan.

andromache

Record Breaker
I've read speculation that she's been working on LaLa Land this entire time, but wasn't ready to use it in the grand prix and that's why she used Moulin Rouge.

Verrrrry interesting idea. Though would they have spent all that $$$$ on a dress to wear for one competition of Moulin Rouge?

Other speculation I've seen is that La La Land wasn't NOT ready, but they intentionally kept it on the backburner in case Moulin Rouge ended up not working out and/or Ashley needed a narrative change heading into Nationals.

In her favor regarding the narrative change, this has revived some of my emotional investment in seeing her continue to compete this season. I've always been an Ashley fan, but I've been less than thrilled with her repeated programs and her rather lackluster performances of them this season. A new program gives me something to look forward to. I'm looking forward to seeing her portray a totally new character.

sc8

On the Ice
I’m so pleased! Her MR, as much as I loved it, was not changed sufficiently, like she said she would, so that it would look fresh. Now,,she has time to get it ready for nationals and, hopefully, the Olympics. I have complete faith that she will make it special through her interpretation. Now, let’s hope she heels completely, hits her jumps, and peaks at the right time(s).

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's kind of funny, she went back to Moulin Rouge because she wanted to avoid a late season program switch like happened in the last Olympic season, and yet here we are.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
too much speculation going on.

Isn’t speculation aka “ gossip?” Who is speculating? The new dress is gorgeous. She should keep it. Does she need to wear a yellow little nothing there frock like in the movie? Her new dress looks very pricey. Keep it Ash.

beachmouse

On the Ice
While I've often been somewhat indifferent about her skating, I've always had a soft spot for Ashley the human being because she lets you have glimpses of the real human being under the spackled on make-up. I like her for not always being the perfect ice princess.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I wish she would ditch her short program. I have never liked it and it's too over the top for me and I say that as an AW fan.

The more she skates it the less I like it. I especially hated it at Skate America. A lot of wiggling and not much skating.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn’t speculation aka “ gossip?” Who is speculating? The new dress is gorgeous. She should keep it. Does she need to wear a yellow little nothing there frock like in the movie? Her new dress looks very pricey. Keep it Ash.

That would be a little problematic, I think, since it was designed to copy a dress from Moulin Rouge. I kinda wish it would be possible, she looks gorgeous in it. But it's so specifically MR, I'm afraid it would remind people of the sturm und drang of the past two weeks. Ashley wants the focus on her skating and La La Land. It doesn't have to be a yellow dress, but I think it would be very pretty. It could be one of the other looks from LLL,

leafygreens

Final Flight
Leafygreens used the word first, and JackWalker was the one who said she was dishonest. I agree with you: Ashley never said it was impossible to learn new choreography (if she had, she'd have been doing the same programs for the last ten years, which she hasn't), but it is difficult. I think leafygreens may have been using it in the sense we would, but JackWalker misinterpreted the word and then used that as proof of dishonesty.

I'm not a big fan of Ashley, but I think she's been quite frank and honest about this.

I never said Ashley lied about her concussion being the reason she reuses choreography. I was specifically referring to fans' assumptions that the concussion is the reason Ashley reuses choreography. There is no proof of this.

I'm glad to see her switch it up to LLL because at least it will add a little excitement instead of the boredom that the once-great MR program has become.

What I hate about the situation is the drama surrounding it. I think she should have changed the program and not told anyone. Think of what a buzz that would cause if she appeared at nationals with a new program! It would wow everyone! Now we just have groans among the fans at the appearance of egotism. "Look at me and my new program!" Ok, but has your skating improved? I would not mind another MR if she had improved. At least we'll have something new to look at but new choreo doesn't mean improved skating.