IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics | Page 5 | Golden Skate

IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearly

Record Breaker
Tomorrow, you mean. I really hope the guys at the GPF manage to tap into their best competitive mentality, because I'm not sure how the atmosphere around the athletes will be.

Well I thought Sr ladies skated Friday and Saturday, but figured "this week" would do nicely and save me some time :laugh:

Grin

Medalist
If Google Translate is correct she's saying something like:
"We're invincible, We will not surrender, We're above it"

Which is... the kind of approach that creates a problem like this
She said 'мы выше этого'. It means we shoud take moral high ground, we shouldn't play dirty like they do.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
:curse:

So when excatly will we know the decision regarding who or if any Russian Figure Skaters will compete?

I'm a little bit dying inside thinking I might not see Ksenia and Fedor competing at Olympics... If the athletes themselves don't want to go, that's okay. I won't be happy, but I will respect that. But I'm not really okay with people forcefully pushing their opinions on athletes and limiting their Olympic experience. After all, it's not every year you get to compete.

Mikhail Degtyarev, head of the lower house's Committee for Physical Culture and Sport, said Russian athletes would make a decision on participation in the Games during an Olympians meeting on December 12.
http://news2night.com/en/news/break...rossija-reagiruet-na-otstranenie-ot-olimpiady

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Christine Brennan on CNN this morning, when asked it this was justified, stated. "yes, absolutely, this has been state sponsored with over 1000 athletes involved, so this is basically a Lifetime Achievement award for Russia"...she went on to say, not since this side of east Germany in the 70's, have we seen this type of abuse in sport. These deceptive practices denied others that should have won, and stole the moment for deserving athletes.

Amen Christine! :clap:

sakurano

Final Flight
I learned the bad news this morning

Although I am not very fan of Russia except for some that I love I am angry at the IOC decision,i was so sure they would drop the charges because of dubious evidence.

it's sad for real athletes, people do not deserve that except those who have really doped.

Well the saying goes, that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

THANK YOU to EVGENIA for his beautiful speeches

Tutto

Record Breaker
Tomorrow, you mean. I really hope the guys at the GPF manage to tap into their best competitive mentality, because I'm not sure how the atmosphere around the athletes will be.

Talk about timing! The Russian skaters who most affected by this news are in Nagoya now (minus ice dancers) trying to cope with all the usual pressure of the competition in the middle of this mess. Hope they can turn anger into competitive fire and do their best on the ice but the timing is cruel and unfair :dev2:

LadyB

Record Breaker
If the athletes are being asked individually (which I hope will happen), I hope that many follow the suggestion by Urmanov, TAT and Zhulin and go despite the neutral flag. It'll break my heart to see that, but their names as Olympic champions/medal winners will be even more recognised for all times. "The outstanding Russian skater(s) who couldn't compete under their national flag, despite being completely innocent."
I'm not just talking about FS fans, but everyone who loves winter sports and has a bigger picture of the Olympics. I'm also thinking in particular of my beloved Russian hockey team. They will forever know where they came from, and all the things they've won for Russia. So, boys and girls, get your well-deserved medals, wear something that features the Russian colours and do your lap of honour with a Russian flag around your shoulders! :devil:
(I can't stop thinking about the two US runners in 1968, who stood on the podium in Mexico and held their fists up. Sorry, but I love gestures like that.)

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
They will forever know where they came from, and all the things they've won for Russia. So, boys and girls, get your well-deserved medals, wear something that features the Russian colours and do your lap of honour with a Russian flag around your shoulders! (I can't stop thinking about the two US runners in 1968, who stood on the podium in Mexico and held their fists up. Sorry, but I love gestures like that.)

Bad analogy

That was a human rights salute
A better analogy to that event in history would be something like an LGBT raising their fist on the podium
at the 2014 Sochi Olympics

I think it would be very ill advised for an athlete to protest against Clean Sports

GGFan

Record Breaker
(I can't stop thinking about the two US runners in 1968, who stood on the podium in Mexico and held their fists up. Sorry, but I love gestures like that.)

I know emotions are running high but the salute on the podium by Tommie Smith and John Carlos and the pin in support from Peter Norman was an important moment in the civil and human rights movement. People lost life and limb because of de jure and de facto racism for many years.

It is really hard to countenance how this compares. :scratch2: Let's be careful here.

pearly

Record Breaker
If the athletes are being asked individually (which I hope will happen), I hope that many follow the suggestion by Urmanov, TAT and Zhulin and go despite the neutral flag. It'll break my heart to see that, but their names as Olympic champions/medal winners will be even more recognised for all times.

When I think about who has won and medaled in Olympics in the past, I don't think "Russia, Korea, Italy". I think "Sotnikova, Kim, Kostner". So I truly, truly hope they will go.

Kittosuni

Medalist
so after couple of hours it looks like sporting officials/athletes are leaning toward competing.

Some officials are also calling for the resignation of Mutko and Zhukov.

Purv

Match Penalty
so after couple of hours it looks like sporting officials/athletes are leaning toward competing.

Some officials are also calling for the resignation of Mutko and Zhukov.

Strange. What a hypocrize. Some time ago they used to say that they re re not going as neutral athletes

LadyB

Record Breaker
When I think about who has won and medaled in Olympics in the past, I don't think "Russia, Korea, Italy". I think "Sotnikova, Kim, Kostner". So I truly, truly hope they will go.

I personally couldn't agree more, as I'm not into anything heroic patriotic/nationalistic for the sake of it or the coincidence of birth. Like you I'm much more interested in individuals. But I've got the feeling, and heard from several Russian friends, how important it might be for them to compete for Russia and to hear their anthem. Some said, they will never go under a different flag. So, that's where my thinking came from. I just want to see them proud in the end. For whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.