Trusova leads Russian sweep at JGPF | Golden Skate

Trusova leads Russian sweep at JGPF

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was a Russian sweep in the Ladies' event at the 2017-18 Junior Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating on Saturday. Alexandra Trusova, Alena Kostornaia, and Anastasia Tarakanova, all of whom train under Eteri Tutberidze and Sergei Dudakov, placed first through third, respectively. It was not a surprising result as five of the six ladies were from Russia.

More

"I'm very happy with my performance," said Samodurova. "And I am really happy that my coach (Alexei Mishin) told me that he was proud of me and my performance. This was the first time he said so. I was very moved. He told me that I'm doing fine in the past. I liked the music and program this season and I can't think of better a program next year. It was same music that Plushenko had as I wanted to have more emotional music. This Junior Final is the biggest competition I have participated in so far and I focused myself of doing my best."
"I play the girl who is sad because her partner didn't come to the date with her," explained Panenkova of her routine. "It rains and I dance among the autumn leaves. At the end, I do this move with my hair and lipstick to show that it's impossible to stay the same after the rain. I really like this move because nobody did it before and it's quite unusual. This story is idea of my coach, Eteri Tutberidze."

"I really wanted to land two triple Axels today so, that must be the reason I was able to land at least one of it," Kihira shared. "After landing the first triple Axel-triple toe, I felt more relieved than happy. When I popped the second triple Axel, I thought I can do the triple Lutz combination later while I was skating."

These youngsters are insanely talented, focused and determined! What are your thoughts on the junior ladies event ?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best event I’ve seen in years!! These girls deserve so much respect and I’m talking every one of them! Totally worth messing up my sleep schedule to watch this!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This event was outstanding!

I feel for Dasha, she seemed underscored in my opinion and is the only one of her teammates not on the podium. But she is insanely talented and is coming back from injury. One of the Dream Team couldn't have been up there anyway!

Sasha was a joy to watch even with her mistakes. I can't wait for the day that she gets her quad fully clean in international competition! You can tell that her errors on that are bugging her. It's okay, darling :love:
Alenka was beautiful as usual! She got her 3Lz into the second half finally :biggrin: Beuatiful jumps, beautiful spins, and beautiful steps from a beautiful girl :love:
I love everything about Nastya's FS. That music is SO HER! and she does that program justice!
Congratulations on your medals, girls!

Rika's 3A-3T was stunning. Better than what a lot of men can do!
Dasha was so gorgeous and so insanely great today :love: I really do love watching her skate, it's just incredible
Sofia has found her stride and is doing well. She and Mishin have such a sweet relationship. It's obvious how proud of her he is and that's so adorable :)

Does anyone have a video link of the victory ceremony? I can't find it anywhere...

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I was going to watch the senior ladies GPF, but these juniors gave me so much joy that now I don't feel like watching the seniors. I already know nothing will surpass the level of mental strength, consistency and focus from these young girls. They are simply the best group of junior skaters ever. I didn't think they would be this great. To think the only mistakes were a pop on a 3A and a fall on a 4S(by a 13yo)... That is greatness.
My favorite skater is Kihira and I wasn't even a tiny bit upset she wasn't on the podium. First lady to land a 3A3T(and with a +2 GOE!!!). That's more than some men do. Just historical.
All the ladies were amazing, specially considering the circumstances: the pressure of being in a GPF, skating in front of a big crowd, the pressure of knowing that the minor mistake might cost a medal. They deserve so much respect and love!
Huge congratulations to all the girls! I will follow their careers very closely. They will certainly keep on rising. 💃

madison

Record Breaker
'I play the girl who is sad because her partner didn't come to the date with her' explained Panenkova of her routine
Ohh, God... poor Panenkova :biggrin::eek:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
The junior ladies competition was really in a class of its own. Only one fall and pop in the entire competition and those happened on 4S and 3A. Now this is what I call a nailbiter. :laugh:

Good job by all the girls and especially good job by Eteri. She might be a bit controversial at times, but she sure brings the results.

Caustica

Final Flight
This was definitely my most favourite discipline of the Grand Prix season. And they did not disappoint in the final either! They are all so amazing - I can't wait to see them again at nationals, JW (although we can only see 3 Russians... :() and next season!! They give me so much joy. Wishing that they stay injury free.

NaVi

Medalist
Since becoming a fan of skating after Sochi, the GPF has been my favorite event and the junior ladies event has been consistently the most satisfying event to watch. TBH, my interest in skating is starting to wane a bit(same thing has happened with other sports like football and mma tbh) but I see myself watching the GPF because of the junior ladies for 20-30 years into the future. It's been fun and a bit surreal to see a new Eteri student win every year and then see a sweep this year. I'd be greatly surprised if a skater from Eteri's camp doesn't win next year too.

I'm kind of surprised the judging system help up ok with all these good skaters skating clean programs. I thought last year was going to put a lot of stress on the system but withdrawals and mistakes made it a pretty easy contest to judge. I agree with the standings though Rika seemed a few points behind where I thought she'd be and I do wonder how much of an uproar there would be had Alena been non-Russian.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
Although wonderfully amazing, I am afraid this competition is awfully cruel to Rika, Daria and Sofia.

A mere few years ago, they would have been in the podium or even winners with their performance. Sadly, this year's jgpf has been the most competitive in its entire history. A historic even in figure skating history.

Trewyn

Medalist
So much positivity in this thread. I just finished watching the SP and am feeling anything but positive. A thirteen year old skating to Big Spender (so UNrefined!)? An "angry" version of 'Fly'? An Eteri sweep? Girls who don't finish their movements or hold a position longer than a millisecond?
I do have a lot of respect for all of them, for delivering difficult technical content and surviving in an undoubtedly extremely competitive environment. But I'm just a bit sad because it's very far removed from what I personally love about figure skating. I should probably give it some time, wait for these girls to develop artistically. They *are* extremely young.

Caustica

Final Flight
So much positivity in this thread. I just finished watching the SP and am feeling anything but positive. A thirteen year old skating to Big Spender (so UNrefined!)? An "angry" version of 'Fly'? An Eteri sweep? Girls who don't finish their movements or hold a position longer than a millisecond?
I do have a lot of respect for all of them, for delivering difficult technical content and surviving in an undoubtedly extremely competitive environment. But I'm just a bit sad because it's very far removed from what I personally love about figure skating. I should probably give it some time, wait for these girls to develop artistically. They *are* extremely young.

You are free to have any reaction to watching the competition, of course. But some of the criticisms seem to me a little unfair. It's normal for juniors to be unrefined. What is wrong with an Eteri sweep by itself, if her skaters outskated the other three? (Even though one of the other three was also Eteri, lol.) Again, it's normal for juniors to not finish their movements - ties into the lack of refinement aforementioned.

For me personally and probably many others on this thread, I was incredibly impressed because of what they could achieve despite being juniors. Their performances definitely don't measure up to the best senior performances of all time, but the thing to look out for in juniors is potential, and I saw a lot of that at JGPF.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
First lady to land a 3A3T(and with a +2 GOE!!!). That's more than some men do. Just historical.
that was THE event of the whole GPF for me both senior & juniour:bow::bow::bow: