Zagitova pockets gold at GPF debut | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Zagitova pockets gold at GPF debut

madison

Record Breaker
Which jumps at GPF looked UR to you? I didnt notice any this time? I think the tanos are helping her correct the problem by straightening out her spine. It's a fair trade if all she loses is a few in PCS.

I didn't say that she had any Ur jumps at GPF because, honestly, I cannot evaluate, I don't have the proper knowledge for that. I said that she usually gets Urs.
I don't think she has smaller PCS because of tanos.
When it comes to Urs, there was an older discussion here about that after Alina's performance at COC and I read many opinions what jumps are Urs, if they are...which were all different and it was a little strange for me because I thought it should be a clear thing. I concluded that these are just opinions and not facts.

charlotte14

Medalist
IMHO the idea is not to let Alina outshine Evgenia who is sure a pretty girl but Alina is a stunning beauty with a star quality in spades... hence the ugly tights, old dress etc just my guess..
Wrong. Repeating program is the best choice for Alina. Proof? She has been skating this crazy program clean or semi-clean whole season and keeps winning thanks to it.

moriel

Record Breaker
Wrong. Repeating program is the best choice for Alina. Proof? She has been skating this crazy program clean or semi-clean whole season and keeps winning thanks to it.

Plus, she is quite juniorish still, so actually despite what people say, this program kinda helps to hide it imho, since she didnt have to learn a whole new FS, and had more time to polish this one. If she got a new FS, it would probably end up highlighting her weaknesses instead.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Yep, exactly. That program has been carrying her this season. And as for the rest of the comment you quoted, eh I really can't agree. It's in my opinion debatable whether Zagitova even looks better than Medvedeva - I don't think so.

Tutto

Record Breaker

I think my original post was taken out of all proportion I merely commented on how Alina being packaged (as a junior IMHO) and was speculating about possible reasons for that. No conspiracy theories.

The Cinderella theory. The wicked stepmother dresses Cinderella in rags so she won't outshine the ugly stepsisters at the Prince's ball. :rock:
But it looks like Cinderella shall go to the ball after all ;)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not really. Everyone overlooks Zagitova and Medvedeva’s cheated jumps (even the judges). Just watch this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJFjJ12DyY

What the post (not yours) was wrong about was was the claim that the technical callers call URs based on pre-rotations. This was discussed at length in another thread (ironically, about Satoko Miyahara) and without getting into it in detail again, the general take-away is that (1) all jumps are pre-rotated to some extent and (2) the IJS doesn't punish pre-rotations except in a limited circumstance involving what is referred to as toe-axel. Zag and Med may under-rotate their jumps. But the determination is made where they land, not where they take off.

Katedle

Rinkside
Not really. Everyone overlooks Zagitova and Medvedeva’s cheated jumps (even the judges). Just watch this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJFjJ12DyY

Facepalm. Koola as always thinks that the only lady who can skate is Yuna ahah.
1. The only problem Zhenya has is FLUTZ. THAT'S ALL. Most of the top 10 ladies has problems with edges and it is normal situation. Zhenya sometimes has flat edge actually.
2. About prerotations: IT IS NOT CHEATING. It is a new technic. It is a new reality. It is not judged. Prerotations does not make jumps easier, ask the skaters. It is just the way to jump. People just try to find the way to downplay the merits of Zhenya and Alina.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
People just try to find the way to downplay the merits of Zhenya and Alina.

I would not blame them for that. They are not happy. They have to translate their unhappiness into something. But whatever these people think or write (I either ignore some posters or just don't read the others) it is the reality: Medvedeva and Zagitova are the best current skaters in ladies who have not lost any competition they enter. And all others are just trailing them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Prerotation was an error under 6.0 (Sarah Hughes often got dinged for PR) and it should be an error under CoP as well. Perhaps it's been overlooked as UR has received more attention, but that could change, along with severely unbalanced programs with all the jumps at the end.

Medvedeva and Zagitova ARE great skaters and don't need PR and unbalanced programs to prop them up.