Hanyu update/Olympic berth criteria | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu update/Olympic berth criteria

kresslia

Medalist
Yes absolutely. And to be honest, even the 'third' japanese man is lucky to have Yuzuru and Shoma bringing the third spot. Because they just aren't good enough. If Yuzuru won't go, there are two skaters from Japan that can go who won't be able to crack the Top 10, imho. That is really the worst case scenario. And that makes it so diffferent to 2013 Nationals. Japanese men in general were much better.
It's so weird to be here discussing how lackluster the men are past Hanyu/Uno when there used to be so many good guys and not enough spots. Much like what's happening with the ladies now.

Still, they have two legitimate OGM contenders in Men's. Other countries must envy that.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
December 13, 2017 Morning, Mail from Hanyu to Federation

I found that the ligament damaged was more prolonged than normal sprain.
From now on, I'd like to start standing on the ice and centering on the left foot, just starting with a simple slide such as a stroke or a cross, gradually increasing the load and enabling a turn with the right foot.

Tutto

Record Breaker
December 13, 2017 Morning, Mail from Hanyu to Federation

I found that the ligament damaged was more prolonged than normal sprain.
From now on, I'd like to start standing on the ice and centering on the left foot, just starting with a simple slide such as a stroke or a cross, gradually increasing the load and enabling a turn with the right foot.

Oh it doesn't sound too optimistic :(

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I am usually quite optimistic but the whole situation just makes me wanna cry all the time :( It breaks my heart just imagining Yuzu doing strokes and crossovers instead of gorgeous jumps, spins and steps, it must be so hard for him :(

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Japanese Nationals seem impossible. How long does it take to get back on form and to realistically skate a program with quadruple jumps again, if he's only just returning to the ice? Is it even possible to get back in top condition in 2 months?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The mind can will you to do things. I think 2 months is cutting it close, but not impossible.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Japanese Nationals seem impossible. How long does it take to get back on form and to realistically skate a program with quadruple jumps again, if he's only just returning to the ice?

If he were just returning to the ice right now then he might be ok. But according to the article he is still not training on the ice and did not give an expected date for his return to the ice.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Reducing the Quads he does seems to me the suitable strategy. But will he do that?

If he does the 4T and the 4S, I think he'd probably do those two in the SP and probably a total of 3 in the LP so he can repeat his very solid 3A. Nathan and Shoma get high PCS such that they can make up the difference in TES. I think Yuzuru needs a third type of quad to put himself out of reach, just based on how the guys are being judged this season.

noskates

Record Breaker
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't water down his program for the Olys. He's such a competitor. I also have the feeling that Brian isn't going to be able to influence him. He'll go for it!

fireovertheice

On the Ice
From the sound of this mail, if translated in correct way (I cannot understand Japanese and a saw at least three different translation on the web, with a lightly different gist in some parts) plus the news released some days ago, it's seems very unprobable Yuzuru will compete at Nat.
If he will continue with reabilitation going soon (next week) back on the ice, I think he will still have time for OGM. The only problem will be eventually the necessary mileage in comp (it remains only 4CC and minor comps?).
Fingers crossed because I really don't want think of an Oly without him among the men.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
If he doesn't push himself too hard too fast and aggravate an old injury, I think he'll be back in good shape within 2 months. Maybe not at his absolute best, but probably enough.

Its a wonder how I managed to keep my anxiety level to just mild panic and not a full blown meltdown. :hopelessness:

slider11

Medalist
English language article in the Japan Times Sports: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2017/12/13/figure-skating/yuzuru-hanyu-longer-expected-injury/#.WjFWNoXUfDl

Of relevance for this thread: "Even if Hanyu misses the national championships, he is practically assured of an Olympic berth based on his No. 1 world ranking and other criteria. At this point he has expressed his desire to compete, according to Kobayashi".

That makes sense. I hope Hanyu does not rush his recovery. He has 7-8 weeks to rest and slowly resume his jumps. Meanwhile, I presume Brian O. is keeping him in good shape with conditioning and whatever skating he can do to keep his timing and edges. The hardest part will likely be to keep him from jumping too soon and re-aggrevating the injury.