Hanyu update/Olympic berth criteria | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hanyu update/Olympic berth criteria

rabbit1234

On the Ice
It depends on what doctor's diagnosis is like.
It is 50 days until the Olympics.
It depends on whether it is predicted that hanyu will compete at the time of the Olympics.
If it is predicted that he can earn only 200 points at the time of the Olympic Games, it is better to represent other competitors.

It is true that the Federation wishes to represent hanyu.
There is atmosphere that is trying to make mood as if it is already decided using media.
However, the Federation is also a neutral judge of the representative battle.
I think that it is not fair for the Federation of neutral judge positions to make such a move, even though the national, the final selection, has not ended.

If hanyu is not in the state of practicing even on the ice now, I think that it is difficult to judge whether he is able to gain higher scores than keiji, mura or daisuke at the Olympic Games.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It depends on what doctor's diagnosis is like.
It is 50 days until the Olympics.
It depends on whether it is predicted that hanyu will compete at the time of the Olympics.
If it is predicted that he can earn only 200 points at the time of the Olympic Games, it is better to represent other competitors.

50 days is still a way's away. While his recovery is taking longer than expected, he could still skate with dumbed down jump content and still place higher than most of the Japanese men at their best.

Perhaps if he skips Nationals there can be a sort of test skate -- one that is NOT closed doors, mind you -- so his status can be determined for sure. It would be remiss to not have him at the Olympics if he's sufficiently capable of competing. There is also a 3rd spot which a number of Japanese skaters can earn to represent Japan, so it's not like Hanyu and Uno would be monopolizing the only Olympic entries.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't know why they don't just announce his withdrawal from Nationals. I mean, he's been off the ice for over a month and as far as we know is STILL off the ice. And besides, he's on the other side of the world and would need to be in Japan within a few days. Who could possibly still think he still has a chance of being there?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't know why they don't just announce his withdrawal from Nationals. I mean, he's been off the ice for over a month and as far as we know is STILL off the ice. And besides, he's on the other side of the world and would need to be in Japan within a few days. Who could possibly still think he still has a chance of being there?

Sponsorship. The organizers want to drive as much buzz as possible, and having him withdraw now would presumably cost the JSF more than it would if they announced his WD last minute.

I just hope whoever the next alternate is for Nationals has ample notice and is able to compete if Hanyu WDs.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
Daisuke murakami has won hanyu and has won the title of the nhk trophy.
Daisuke murakami has also competed with hanyu in Skate Canada.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2014/CAT001RS.HTM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpcan2015/CAT001RS.HTM

Takahito mura is the title holder of Skate America. His PB is 268.43.
If hanyu 's physical condition is incomplete, I do not know who will win.
I think that it is not fair to decide Hanyu as a representative without judging what kind of state it is at the time of the Olympic Games.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If hanyu is not in the state of practicing even on the ice now, I think that it is difficult to judge whether he is able to gain higher scores than keiji, mura or daisuke at the Olympic Games.

If he doesn't aggravate his injury, he has more than good chances to score better than them. When he's on he almost doesn't need the SP to beat Keiji Since his 2017 Worlds FS score was higher than Keiji's total score (though Keiji wasn't clean). So even with not so great programs, he still can have better scores than them.

Mussique

On the Ice
Talking just about tv and sponsorships and the money they can bring just by their presence Hanyu wins by a mile, so I don't think anyone can really present a threat for the Olympic spot if he's healthy. Even if he doesn't participate in Nationals.

I mean, the amount of backslash the choice of him not going could bring to the JSF... I don't think they want to expose themselves to that

Barb

Record Breaker
If Japan sent Daisuke over Kozuka and Miki over Yukari, I think it's perfectly justified that they send Yuzuru even if he does not compete. Here the main concern is whether he will be ready in time for the Olympics.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
2017-2018 FP

214.97 Shoma UNO 10th Lombardia Trophy 2017
197.48 Shoma UNO ISU GP 2017 Skate Canada International
195.92 Yuzuru HANYU ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2017
184.50 Shoma UNO Grand Prix Final 2017 Senior
179.40 Shoma UNO ISU GP Internationaux de France de Patinage 2017
159.98 Keiji TANAKA ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2017
155.52 Yuzuru HANYU 2017 Autumn Classic International
155.42 Kazuki TOMONO 2017 US International Figure Skating Classic
152.05 Kazuki TOMONO ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
151.33 Keiji TANAKA 2017 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy
137.72 Takahito MURA ISU GP 2017 Bridgestone Skate America
136.96 Ryuju HINO 2017 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy
130.50 Daisuke MURAKAMI 2017 Autumn Classic International
127.94 Takahito MURA 2017 US International Figure Skating Classic
126.84 Hiroaki SATO 10th Lombardia Trophy 2017
123.25 Hiroaki SATO ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
121.37 Keiji TANAKA 25th Ondrej Nepela Trophy
117.08 Ryuju HINO 25th Ondrej Nepela Trophy
111.84 Takahito MURA ISU GP 2017 Skate Canada International

159.98 Keiji TANAKA ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2017
155.52 Yuzuru HANYU 2017 Autumn Classic International
155.42 Kazuki TOMONO 2017 US International Figure Skating Classic
152.05 Kazuki TOMONO ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
151.33 Keiji TANAKA 2017 Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy

There was a possibility of competing like this even before hanyu injured.
Indeed, hanyu is not practicing on ice now.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Daisuke murakami has won hanyu and has won the title of the nhk trophy.
Daisuke murakami has also competed with hanyu in Skate Canada.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2014/CAT001RS.HTM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpcan2015/CAT001RS.HTM

Takahito mura is the title holder of Skate America. His PB is 268.43.
If hanyu 's physical condition is incomplete, I do not know who will win.
I think that it is not fair to decide Hanyu as a representative without judging what kind of state it is at the time of the Olympic Games.
I thought that it was the actual state of skaters what matters. Not an old victory when Hanyu had fresh injuries, and old PB.
Since you bring scores and titles, is it fair to leave at home the current world and olympic champion, a skater who can score more than 330, the japanese who has the best results at worlds since 2013, an heavy favorite for OGM, because he's recovering from an injury but still can compete at olympics ?

rabbit1234

On the Ice
The question now is whether or not he can win against mura, keiji, tomono, daisuke when hanyu is not the best condition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
If Japan sent Daisuke over Kozuka and Miki over Yukari, I think it's perfectly justified that they send Yuzuru even if he does not compete. Here the main concern is whether he will be ready in time for the Olympics.

This. That is what I am concerned about.

Japan will name Yuzu to the Olympic Team. He may not be 100% but he does not need to be.

giulia95

Medalist
The question now is whether or not he can win against mura, keiji, tomono, daisuke when hanyu is not the best condition.

Do you think mura, keiji, tomono, daisuke have consistent chances to medal at Olys?

lappo

Final Flight
I thought that it was the actual state of skaters what matters. Not an old victory when Hanyu had fresh injuries, and old PB.
Since you bring scores and titles, is it fair to leave at home the current world and olympic champion, a skater who can score more than 330, the japanese who has the best results at worlds since 2013, an heavy favorite for OGM, because he's recovering from an injury but still can compete at olympics ?

I would add, given the popularity of Hanyu both in Japan and worldwide, is it safe for JSF? I foresee Poohs thrown at them, if they leave Hanyu at home for whoever other Japanese skater...
If Hanyu is able to stand on the ice, JSF will send him and rightly so, he is going there to make history and it would be just stupid not to give him the berth to try and accomplish this feat and give it to a skater whose best chances are a top 10 placement (with all the due respect to the Japanese skaters, but sometimes we have to be realistic and try to foresee what a possible double gold medal would bring in terms of glory and £££ to the federation compared to whatever Murakami or Tanaka Olympic placement would bring).

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

You go around so many circles in all his threads, aren't you exhausted? :coffee: