Anyone use WordPress? | Golden Skate

Anyone use WordPress?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm looking for good tutorials/youtube/resources on how to build a professional website on wordpress. It's for work, the person who created our website did a not so great job and my boss would like me to do it as I blog and know the interwebs supposedly. But WordPress and I don't seem to be too compatible. Anyone suggest some WordPress for Dummies type resources?!

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Not sure this is the right/most efficient place to be asking help with Wordpress.
But anyway.
WordPress itself has good documentation.
If you want to create a website using WP, things can get a little complicated and you probably should seek a professional if you have zero knowledge of web development.
If you have some knowledge, and depending on what is the website you want to create, perhaps you can just install a template (theme) and try work from there.
Many variables to evaluate here.
But my tip is: if possible (if it won't get you fired), you should tell your boss that if he wants a professional website on WordPress then he should hire a professional to build it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But my tip is: if possible (if it won't get you fired), you should tell your boss that if he wants a professional website on WordPress then he should hire a professional to build it.

tried that.

I do have experience in maintaining WP website, and I have created my own. I don't mind using a template, I just ugh... have no idea really where to start to find one that does what the boss wants.

"Back in the day" on GS there were quite a few of us who were aspiring web designers... which is why I asked.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
tried that.

I do have experience in maintaining WP website, and I have created my own. I don't mind using a template, I just ugh... have no idea really where to start to find one that does what the boss wants.

"Back in the day" on GS there were quite a few of us who were aspiring web designers... which is why I asked.
I understand.
Have you heard of themeforest? You can find any kind of template there. Anything.
The website you have to create is what? Is it a store? Because stores are tricky. I hope it's not a store.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I understand.
Have you heard of themeforest? You can find any kind of template there. Anything.
The website you have to create is what? Is it a store? Because stores are tricky. I hope it's not a store.

Not a store. We are a non-profit volunteer Hospice. We do need a donation button, though...

The hardest part is undoing what the guy before me did... I can't just delete and start fresh bc we need our info on the web to stay there until we can unveil the new one so... ugh I don't know what's the best course of action I guess. (other than, yes, hiring someone)

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Not a store. We are a non-profit volunteer Hospice. We do need a donation button, though...
I see.
Well, you can try to look for NGO free templates on google. NGO template might be close to what you need in terms of design.
Now,if you're going to deal with money, than you need to have a paying system. You'll probably need to have a Paypal account. And it would be more professional if you had a domain. So you'll have to deal with hosting.
So, what you can try is: look for a free template (if you can't buy it). Install the template, edit the information, the pages, etc. Put the donation button somewhere on your website. Here's a tutorial: https://youtu.be/Ki3ChA5QZhY I haven't watched the whole video, but I believe it's quite easy and the PayPal website must have instructions as well.
And if you can't do it, then your boss might want to try those freelance websites? Depending on what country you live, you might get a good price(because of currency values and stuff).
But if you're a fast learner and have some knowledge of web dev you might be able to pull this off.
After all, WordPress is sort of supposed to be easy to create any kind of website with.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We have the domain, and a website through word press set up. it just sucks. we also have the paypal/donation button going... just don't have anything fancy which apparently is what my boss wants... but really I just want a cohesive design that doesn't look like it's from 1999.

itsallok

Rinkside
Your post doesn't make it clear if you currently use WordPress.org or WordPress.com. When you say 'website through the WordPress setup', I suspect the latter. This sounds picky, but is crucial. The 'com' version is easier for a beginner, is really secure in that they look after the hosting, but has significant limitations in terms of what you can do, even if you pay for the Premium version. This makes sense because it's how they make sure nothing breaks. Any advice to you depends on knowing this...