Will Virtue and Moir be disappointed? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Virtue and Moir be disappointed?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think Virtue/Moir are already one of the GOAT without their second OGM as they have a good enough career, memorable programs, advanced/skillful techniques when they won the OGM and longevity as well as their popularity and public image. They may be the first GOAT since the new judging system was introduced. GOAT doesn't confine skaters' career alone, especially winning OGM considering Kurt Browning. I saw some dance fans don't take Grisuk/Platov as GOAT because their two OGM were controversial and their much publicized lives didn't help their champion image. I think many dance fans consider Torvill/Dean are still the best of bests in history given past polls.

I don't see how you can consider someone GOAT if you don't split eras though. You learn today something different than 30-35 years ago. It's also about the impact a team had.
I'm young and I have to g on youtube to watch G/P, T/D, etc. As of now, I found myself watching these teams more pre-2002 : T/D (originality) and Annissina/Peizerat (maybe because I'm french and it talks to me a lot more ?), but I never really gotten into G/P (and I tried - please don't hesitate giving me programs that I might like so that I can watch them :) )

Also, "very publicized lives doesn't help". You're right in a way, because your life look more like a show and you lose credibility. If you look at V/M vs D/W in 2013-2014, or even V/M vs P/C now, Javier vs Yuzu... they separate tensions and private life and show respect to one another (barring the Tessa & Scott show on TV, they said it themselves the cut for some things were deliberate - but let's face it I want season 2...). Before it was all about drama (maybe that's why people aren't following as much figure skating these days, where's the high drama ?), but how amazing is it to have such respectable champions ? It's an example of excellent behaviour.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I want my faves, the Shibs to make the Olympic podium and I'll be happy if P/C win the gold. I much prefer them overall to V/M (except I like V/M's SD more this year).

Rossig

On the Ice
There is already a dance team with two Olympic gold medals: Grishuk/Platov, who also won four consecutive World titles and were never defeated in competition between their two Olympic golds.

G/P are only a proof that the number of medals is not the main factor which makes the skaters the greatest.

alain06fr

On the Ice
G/P are only a proof that the number of medals is not the main factor which makes the skaters the greatest.

Fully agree.
To me, the best of the bests in the ice dance history are certainly not G/P but Torvill / Dean

noskates

Record Breaker
Not being dismissive, but I think this is a silly question to ask. OF COURSE they will be disappointed. They didn't come out of retirement and work their butts off to get a silver again. And while that will or would be an incredible accomplishment, I don't think anyone of their caliber tries for anything less than the OGM.

Rossig

On the Ice
plus V&M will have two Olympic team medals.

I also believe it's unfair to include team medals while measuring achievements of skaters. 1) In the past there was no team event, so skaters had no chance to win those medals. 2) So much depends on the country skaters come from. There are some great skaters who will never have chance to win medal in team event and some much weaker skaters who will win this medal thanks to their strong team mates. It's almost certain than in Korea medals from team event will be shared by Canada, Russia and the US. Such great skaters like Papadakis/Cizeron, Hanyu, Fernandez, Savchenko/Massot, Sui/Han have no chance to win medal in team event.