Will Virtue and Moir be disappointed? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Virtue and Moir be disappointed?

Leppis

On the Ice
Do people watch the actual competition ? :confused:

That was their less clean SD of the season (by far - even NHK was better but it had the twizzle issue, the rest was spot on), P/C skated by far their best SD (probably ever).
In the FD Tessa had one clear bobble in the Cist (and maybe another in the Dist - camerawork had Scott hiding her), Scott nearly tripped at the beginning too.
During the GP series it was clear : if one is clean and the other isn't, the winner is clear on the day. That's exactly what happenned.

This isn't 2014 where Meryl&Charlie went into the Olys undefeated for 2 seasons. The result is so close, no idea who will win.

Yes, thank you. This is exactly what I hae been thinking as well. V/M were not clean at the GPF while P/C were almost perfect so I don't understand why people are immediately arguing that they are going to win the Olympics? Let's just wait and see what happens and hope that both teams skate their best.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Oh no, that would be a terrible mistake. They just have to polish the one they already have and find the right interpretation.
In a recent interview, Gaby said something like : "you have the technique, you repeat a million times, muscular memory is here, etc. On the day, everything is in mental. The real thing is to manage to do what you do everytime in training on the ice, that's by far the hardest part".

Tessa and Scott want to improve their footwork in circular and diagonal, it´s supposed to be smoother with the big music, Tessa said. Therefore, they will without a doubt, go to the Olympics while being at their best and this counts for a lot more, than being the best right now.

I agree that the judges might be pushed to a French victory, similar to an US American in Ladies 2002 (after 9/11), but I still feel that the Canadians can do it, especially as it would be a major headline, to win two Olympic gold in dance. The ISU want´s these headlines, they want media attention.

Last but not least, never forget that it wont be over until the final beaver tail did land in the belly!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Tessa and Scott want to improve their footwork in circular and diagonal, it´s supposed to be smoother with the big music, Tessa said. Therefore, they will without a doubt, go to the Olympics while being at their best and this counts for a lot more, than being the best right now.

I agree that the judges might be pushed to a French victory, similar to an US American in Ladies 2002 (after 9/11), but I still feel that the Canadians can do it, especially as it would be a major headline, to win two Olympic gold in dance. The ISU want´s these headlines, they want media attention.

Last but not least, never forget that it wont be over until the final beaver tail did land in the belly!

What does 9/11 have common with an American winning in Salt Lake City :scratch2:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Disappointment is a part of life. Regardless of the result I am so grateful for this comeback! It has exceeded all of my expectations. At the end of Sochi I admired V/M but was left with a bad taste in my mouth after the good but unmagical Mahler sequel with the pledge of allegiance moment :biggrin: (exaggerating here).

I think they've brought a whole new dimension to their skating since returning. Their presence, skating skills, and eagerness to improve have elevated the entire competition of the quad, which was headed toward a sleepy P/C win. Instead P/C are better skaters and competitors and everyone has had to up their game to survive ;) (more hyperbole)

Hopefully the fans and the skating community will give them a good send off in a couple months.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Any idea why Patrice was not with Papadakis/Cizeron in K&C?

3 teams total (H/D, V/M, P/C), 2 are skating back to back, you have to split the time. Who do you choose ? Natural choice.

If French, Canadians and US nats would be happening at the same time, Romain will be with P/C, Patrice with H/D and Marie-France with V/M.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
For them, personally not winning the Olympic gold will be a dissapointment clearly. In terms of their legacy / career - of course not. They are, and will be, one of the most decorated ice dance team ever. And they achieved everything under the COP, which is even more impressive.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Why is it even more impressive?

Because longevivity under COP droped big time, and ice dance teams have started to be scored based on what they put on the ice without "waiting for their turn to come". Their huge rise would have been imposible before COP (which is ironic, because COP also helped P/C in the same way now). The sport is becoming more technically demanding also. Not to take anything away from the champions pre-COP era, but I do think that staying at the top under COP is way more difficult

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Because longevivity under COP droped big time, and ice dance teams have started to be scored based on what they put on the ice without "waiting for their turn to come". Their huge rise would have been imposible before COP (which is ironic, because COP also helped P/C in the same way now). The sport is becoming more technically demanding also. Not to take anything away from the champions pre-COP era, but I do think that staying at the top under COP is way more difficult

True... Cappellini/Lanotte have had issues keeping up at the very top after that world title. The TES matters a lot and while it was D/W vs V/M post-Vancouver there was quite the shiffting between 3 and more.
Of course there is also that issue of teams not being properly judged compared to thers because of "reputation judging", it has a lot to do with PCS. If you tell me that team 1 is way better than team 2, of course. But when team 2 delivers and it's great, and team 1 skates "badly", don't put them ahead with a 6 points PCS lead when they don't deserve it.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
If P/C win OG I do think V/M should look at it that they didn't lose the gold but won another silver.That in itself is a fantastic achievement.They won't think so straight away but when they go home and reflect they will see they are legends of ice dance no doubt about it and they have so much to be proud of!

Sackie

Medalist
Let's not forget the pressure of heading into the Olympics as the favorites. V/M have been there done that (even under the pressure of home ice), P/C have not even been there! With things so close pressure can play a big factor in levels.

kresslia

Medalist
Yes. They came back to win Olympic gold, and have said as much.

I don't think their lives are going to be ruined because they'll have three Olympic silvers and just one gold (+ another colour medal from the team event), but they'll be disappointed.

alain06fr

On the Ice
V/M need to stop the momentum versus P/C. The only way to do this before the Olympics is to change their free skate to Carmen from the 2012-2013 season. That would do it.

The fire of a sexy Carmen is the completely opposite of what P/C are doing in the free.
Well, Moulin Rouge is already the complete opposite of Moonlight Sonata so there’s no point to change their FD to Carmen for this reason. In any case, V/M and P/C have opposite style. It’s definitely two different approaches of ice dance, whatever music or program they skate.

In the end, why did they come back? Trying to win the OG in South Korea? But... what for? They are already known as being highly talented skaters and they won quite a lot of competitions and titles. Of course, they never won the GPF before 2016 but still... They didn’t need a GPF victory to become stars in Canada or in the figure skating world anyway.

I can fully see the main interest of their return for the Canadian fed. I guess SkateCanada expected W/P to take over V/M after Sotchi. W/P did well during the 2014 and 2015 Grand-Prix seasons (well, who knows but w/o Gaby’s concussion, P/C may have won the 2015 GPF) but they never managed to win the Worlds and even failed to be on the podium in Boston.

So, from Tessa & Scott personal point of view, what’s the aim to compete at the OG once again? What does it bring to them in the end? Obviously, the higher their expectations are, the bigger their disapointment will be if they are not OGM.

Maybe they want to be remembered as the best ice dance team ever. With a second gold medal at least they can claim to be the most successful.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
V/M need to stop the momentum versus P/C. The only way to do this before the Olympics is to change their free skate to Carmen from the 2012-2013 season. That would do it.

The fire of a sexy Carmen is the completely opposite of what P/C are doing in the free.

File Under: Pipe Dream.

legjumper

Rinkside
Maybe they want to be remembered as the best ice dance team ever. With a second gold medal at least they can claim to be the most successful.

There is already a dance team with two Olympic gold medals: Grishuk/Platov, who also won four consecutive World titles and were never defeated in competition between their two Olympic golds. Virtue/Moir are already one of the best ice dance teams of all time, but record-wise, G/P's is still the one to beat.

matcha

Medalist
Honestly, even if they don't win gold, if they're more gracious in their post-Olympic interviews this time round, that'd be nice. & I'm saying that as a fan.

There is already a dance team with two Olympic gold medals: Grishuk/Platov, who also won four consecutive World titles and were never defeated in competition between their two Olympic golds. Virtue/Moir are already one of the best ice dance teams of all time, but record-wise, G/P's is still the one to beat.

Well, that's sort of the point. If Virtue and Moir aspire to the distinction of GOAT, they have to win that second gold medal. Then they will have 2 golds and 1 silver to Grishak and Playtov's 2 golds, plus V&M will have two Olympic team medals. V&M have 3 Worlds to G&P's 4. So after winning the 2018 Olympics they will have to stick around and win worlds as well. :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well, that's sort of the point. If Virtue and Moir aspire to the distinction of GOAT, they have to win that second gold medal. Then they will have 2 golds and 1 silver to Grishak and Playtov's 2 golds, plus V&M will have two Olympic team medals. V&M have 3 Worlds to G&P's 4. So after winning the 2018 Olympics they will have to stick around and win worlds as well. :)

I think Virtue/Moir are already one of the GOAT without their second OGM as they have a good enough career, memorable programs, advanced/skillful techniques when they won the OGM and longevity as well as their popularity and public image. They may be the first GOAT since the new judging system was introduced. GOAT doesn't confine skaters' career alone, especially winning OGM considering Kurt Browning. I saw some dance fans don't take Grisuk/Platov as GOAT because their two OGM were controversial and their much publicized lives didn't help their champion image. I think many dance fans consider Torvill/Dean are still the best of bests in history given past polls.