Will Virtue and Moir be disappointed? | Golden Skate

Will Virtue and Moir be disappointed?

fredtx121

On the Ice
The way it looks now, the judges are favoring Papadakis/Cizeron over Virtue and Moir. If both skate perfectly at the Olympics, the French team will be the champions. Would this comeback for Virtue and Moir be a huge disappointment if they don’t win the Olympics? I mean they have accomplished winning a World title last year and finally winning the GPF last year, but would a 2nd place finish at the Olympics make them think it wasn’t worth it? They do however have a strong chance to win a gold medal in the team event. So all is not lost I guess

Roast Toast

Medalist
If Tessa and Scott had gotten a level 4 for their no-touch in the SD (which they have only missed once since their return) they would have scored 202 as well. They are not heavy favourites anymore like they were last year but the gold medal in the individual event has hardly been decided. Honestly I have seen many posts like this and I would like to know -- can I borrow your crystal ball?

mrrice

Record Breaker
The way it looks now, the judges are favoring Papadakis/Cizeron over Virtue and Moir. If both skate perfectly at the Olympics, the French team will be the champions. Would this comeback for Virtue and Moir be a huge disappointment if they don’t win the Olympics? I mean they have accomplished winning a World title last year and finally winning the GPF last year, but would a 2nd place finish at the Olympics make them think it wasn’t worth it? They do however have a strong chance to win a gold medal in the team event. So all is not lost I guess

Well, they already have so many records. Even if they were to lose the Gold to P&C, they are clearly going into their 3rd Olympics for love. When you have Gold Medals from the Olympics, Worlds, and every Nationals since you became Seniors.....The only reason to keep going is for history and love....

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Sounds like not winning the GPF is the norm for them, like winning the Olympics may be.

Whether or not they would be disappointed at anything, only they would know if and when it happened.

JustMe

On the Ice

That's a question best answered by V&M, if they haven't done so already. I would specify your statement that the judges seem to prefer Papadakis & Cizeron's program. But also, I think skate order will make a difference for these 2 teams.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I would not count V/M out. V/M were undefeated last season and this was the first time this season both of these teams went head to head and PC came out on top.
P/C have been scoring a little bit higher than V/M at their GP events which make it seem that P/C do have the momentum going into the Olympics.

I like both teams but on a personal level I prefer V/M style of ID more than P/C. The Olympics is another competition but weird things seem to happen and you never know
who will grab the gold medal, nobody is a lock.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Do people watch the actual competition ? :confused:

That was their less clean SD of the season (by far - even NHK was better but it had the twizzle issue, the rest was spot on), P/C skated by far their best SD (probably ever).
In the FD Tessa had one clear bobble in the Cist (and maybe another in the Dist - camerawork had Scott hiding her), Scott nearly tripped at the beginning too.
During the GP series it was clear : if one is clean and the other isn't, the winner is clear on the day. That's exactly what happenned.

This isn't 2014 where Meryl&Charlie went into the Olys undefeated for 2 seasons. The result is so close, no idea who will win.

Manitou

Medalist
The way it looks now, the judges are favoring Papadakis/Cizeron over Virtue and Moir. If both skate perfectly at the Olympics, the French team will be the champions.

That's what I thought and what I was hoping for. However, when I said the same observation to my wife she said it could mean something completely opposite: the judges might actually split the season between P/C and V/M: Grand Prix for P/C, Olympics for V/M. In 2009-10 D/W won GP and V/M Olympics. Of course, in 2013-14 it was all D/W, but probably because D/W had already established their domination.

So I would not hold my breath for P/C win yet.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's still up for grabs, however, I'm cool with P/C coming out on top if both teams skate well. V/M have the better SD, P/C have the better FD. It will be very close though.

And either way, Marie-France and Patrice will be coaching the next Olympic champions! ;)

JustMe

On the Ice
LOL! Not really... It's suppose to represent me...or at least me on my spare time since I perform Mexican folk dance here in NYC :thank:

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
V/M need to stop the momentum versus P/C. The only way to do this before the Olympics is to change their free skate to Carmen from the 2012-2013 season. That would do it.

The fire of a sexy Carmen is the completely opposite of what P/C are doing in the free.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I hope that P/C will stay on top. When I look back to what they have achieved since 2014, I see them as worthy to be Olympic Champs.
V/M are great, no doubt, so should they win, it would be fine. My personal preference goes to P/C and their inimitable style.

Well, when you are going for the gold I suppose there is always a little letdown if you end up with silver. Still, as Mr. Rice points out, they will have three Olympic medals, five counting team medals, and many other achievements to their credit.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
V/M need to stop the momentum versus P/C. The only way to do this before the Olympics is to change their free skate to Carmen from the 2012-2013 season. That would do it.

The fire of a sexy Carmen is the completely opposite of what P/C are doing in the free.

Wow, they really should bring back that program.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Despite all little mistakes or level issues V/M will hardly have a chance. I do not know what happend backstage but the P/C have passed them.

I have loved P/C so much over the last years and their Helsinki FD was out of this world. But this year V/M´s SD is so much better. It is so obvious! To my mind P/C should change their SD and not V/M.

Alex D

Record Breaker
They both noted at the GPF that they do work rtowards the Olympics. This is their Main goal and they do have the experience for that.

For an athlete giving your best, being in a great shape when needed, competing healthy is often worth more than the result.

You can't do more than giving it all.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Wow, they really should bring back that program.

Oh no, that would be a terrible mistake. They just have to polish the one they already have and find the right interpretation.
In a recent interview, Gaby said something like : "you have the technique, you repeat a million times, muscular memory is here, etc. On the day, everything is in mental. The real thing is to manage to do what you do everytime in training on the ice, that's by far the hardest part".

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The way it looks now, the judges are favoring Papadakis/Cizeron over Virtue and Moir. If both skate perfectly at the Olympics, the French team will be the champions.

Yes and yes - both logically taken from sole observation over how this very season went so far, no need to make a bigger story out of it than required.

Would this comeback for Virtue and Moir be a huge disappointment if they don’t win the Olympics? I mean they have accomplished winning a World title last year and finally winning the GPF last year, but would a 2nd place finish at the Olympics make them think it wasn’t worth it? They do however have a strong chance to win a gold medal in the team event. So all is not lost I guess

Disappointment will be inevitable feeling for them, no doubt about it - every team's/skater's goal having a real chance is to win the title. But they definitely should not regret their comeback despite losing Olympic Gold Medal - it will be enough of that flowing from the people around, especially those who crossed them out from the very first news about their return to competition.

I may be too naïve for some, but for me their return is more measurable in impact and enrichment given to the discipline in general that just titles, medals, 'world record' scores - two more seasons to witness them in action, see the level of integrating execution with performance quality they represent after all those years together were a special experience. Of course, they are very competitive and obviously want the Olympic title - season shown that the ball is left on their side and was never kicked back; they should be satisfied, if they'd perform and execute lights out of their programs - that's the only thing they can do now, really, since response for their programs is mixed and they are not unanimous 'number one' pointers. Let's face it - with two teams going clean, there's very little chance (for me - none) that Virtue/Moir will win, and counting on other team's mistakes is not a good strategy this season (and it's cheap). The good thing to see from Tessa and Scott this time around is that they are very convinced and confident about their stuff, challenging and pushing it each time performed; they've lost, but I feel no sense of 'defeat' in them there. Now, the mind-set and iron control over their own things are keys, not much left to do - and way too late to change programs altogether; with all 'news' appearing in laser-precision sequence right now, they have to focus on themselves really strongly, isolating all laughing around.

Will a silver medal make them think that all that jazz was not worth it? Maybe, but I don't think they should think like that - they really proved a lot of people wrong with the return itself and gave themselves a pretty solid and effective run overall this time around. The fact that judges may not like their programs/they way they are performed - hasn't that happen before for them or any other team? By this time, they are probably already used to this and are focusing more on their own challenge imposed on material than fixing response for it from others (as they have no influence on how people perceive their stuff). They have all the control and management over their own stuff - they cannot manage just people's/judges' response upon it