"Remake" Programs? | Golden Skate

"Remake" Programs?

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I am not aware of any instance in which a skater has essentially done a "remake" of a prior program by an earlier skater, in the way you often see "remakes" of Hollywood movies.

Although I am not a fan of the Hollywood version, I actually think it would be really interesting to see a skater do a modernized version of an iconic figure-skating program. It would have to be updated with modern content to be competitive, of course. But you could imitate the costume and many of the choreographic elements. I actually think it could be very artistic and interesting. The skater would have to get permission from the original choreographer and skater, of course.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am not aware of any instance in which a skater has essentially done a "remake" of a prior program by an earlier skater, in the way you often see "remakes" of Hollywood movies.

Although I am not a fan of the Hollywood version, I actually think it would be really interesting to see a skater do a modernized version of an iconic figure-skating program. It would have to be updated with modern content to be competitive, of course. But you could imitate the costume and many of the choreographic elements. I actually think it could be very artistic and interesting. The skater would have to get permission from the original choreographer and skater, of course.

The only place I've ever seen this really done is on the Stars on Ice tours. Whenever they hit an anniversary year like in 2016 they do little remakes of iconic programs from that show. Competitively no.

Barb

Record Breaker

I would love to see that. Not a competitive program but Mao and Jeffrey B. skated to Bolero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z5BVy75Qmo&t=7s

gkelly

Record Breaker
How much of a program needs to be the same to consider it the same program?

At what point is it a remake, and at what point is it just the same music and similar concept with different steps, different elements, etc.?

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
I'm surprised Sui and Han's Turandot hasn't come up as a clear tribute to Shen and Zhao's iconic 2002/3 program to the same music. Zhao obviously coaches Sui/Han, but the costuming is very similar and the choreography also has very similar "moments".

It's the only example of a pretty explicit "remake" program I can think of off the top of my head, but I think it makes sense that it's rare in that people don't want to come off as a [legendary skater] knockoff. Interesting move by Sui and Han though, since it's this subtle message to the judges that they're the next legendary Chinese pair.

GGFan

Record Breaker

At what point is it a remake, and at what point is it just the same music and similar concept with different steps, different elements, etc.?

I love that you threw those big philosophical questions out like they're easy to answer :laugh2: People still have not figured out this paradox and I doubt we will here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Interesting....Serafima just did Concierto de Aranjueznd and it's not a remake but considering it was once a program of her coach I'm sure there is some sort of connection or familiarity there. It does seem like a master is passing on a tradition to his pupil and there just seems to be something very cool happening in this program. Thank you Mr Plushenko.

https://youtu.be/tayqLTWWuLU

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doug Mattis (now a coach) did a very funny tribute to various figure skaters' skating styles in the mid 1990's.

When Scott Hamilton returned to the ice following his cancer surgery in 1997, a number of skaters did a tribute to him by skating to parts of his iconic pro programs (complete with similar costumes to those programs).

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Didn't someone last season plan to do a battle of the brians themed free skate? Like, incorporating Napoleon and The Bolt

lappo

Final Flight
Doug Mattis (now a coach) did a very funny tribute to various figure skaters' skating styles in the mid 1990's.

When Scott Hamilton returned to the ice following his cancer surgery in 1997, a number of skaters did a tribute to him by skating to parts of his iconic pro programs (complete with similar costumes to those programs).

Many thanks for this, I saw this program much time ago, liked it but completely forgotten who the skater was...gonna rewatch soon!!! :agree::)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I would love Hanyu on Plushenko's Carmen or ninjiski.
Wakaba Higuchi on Kim's Danse macabre
Deniss Vassiljevs on Yagudin's man in an iron mask (but the quads....)
A cute little junior on Midori Ito 1988 OG LP. And it did have already a modern technical content.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't someone last season plan to do a battle of the brians themed free skate? Like, incorporating Napoleon and The Bolt

2 seasons ago as a US junior, Alexey Krasnofshon (who will compete as a brand new US senior) skated to a program based on the "Battle of the Brians," complete with a costume similar to Brian B'.s' "Napoleon" costume & Brian Orser's "The Bolt" music! We got to see the program in the summer of 2015 @ the Philadelphia International Summer Competition (formerly known as "Liberty") in Aston, PA. :hap10:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I would say that Jeffrey Buttle remade his Ararat program from 2007 to 2008 with a lot of different choreography and jumping pass placement.

Not sure if Michelle Kwan's "East of Eden" counts, but she did it as a long program in 1994 before becoming an exhibition free skate in 1998, before becoming a short program in 2001. (I'll try to think of more...)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I would love Hanyu on Plushenko's Carmen or ninjiski.
Wakaba Higuchi on Kim's Danse macabre
Deniss Vassiljevs on Yagudin's man in an iron mask (but the quads....)
A cute little junior on Midori Ito 1988 OG LP. And it did have already a modern technical content.

I would like Aliev on Plush's Nijinsky :)