"Remake" Programs? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Remake" Programs?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There was a young Chinese team who copied Tessa and Scott's Latch FD at some Chinese domestic comp. It was almost the same music cuts, but without the short part in the middle that was composed for V/M. And identical costumes, so much so that I wondered whether they were actually Tessa and Scott's costumes.

noskates

Record Breaker
For me, Michelle's East of Eden was my perfect program - whether it was an exhibition or an LP. I have sorely resented anyone else doing it. :noshake:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
There was a young Chinese team who copied Tessa and Scott's Latch FD at some Chinese domestic comp. It was almost the same music cuts, but without the short part in the middle that was composed for V/M. And identical costumes, so much so that I wondered whether they were actually Tessa and Scott's costumes.
Here it is:

https://m.youku.com/video/id_XMzAxNzQ4NzUwMA==.html?source=

Although I highly doubt Tessa and Scott would take such action, I wonder if there is a case for copyright infringement for such an obvious use of their choreography which they both paid for and developed artistically.

I take this as imitation being the sincerest form of flattery ... ;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think that using music that has famously been used before, including using the exact same music cuts, with awareness of the previous program and maybe some isolated moves and/or costuming that recalls the previous program, would be a tribute to the predecessor.

I would only consider the new program a "remake" of the previous one if significant portions of the choreography are the same.

But maybe we need to define what we mean by "remake."

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Let's face it 99% of all art are all remakes. You learn, you copy, you inherit, you interpret, you create... from old onto the new. it is still black white + colour of rainbows and everything in between.

Since when did we see a truly original skating program anymore? Especially under such COP system.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Let's face it 99% of all art are all remakes. You learn, you copy, you inherit, you interpret, you create... from old onto the new.

Yes, artists build on previous work. They often borrow/copy/steal specific techniques or details but repurpose them in new contexts. Most often they’ll borrow different details from different previous works and recombine them in new ways.
I'd only consider a new work a remake of a previous work if there were more similarities than differences between the new and the old work, in fundamental structural ways (not necessary surface details). I’d say the same for both movies (the context introduced by the OP) and skating programs.

Otherwise I might say a new program using the same music was an adaptation of the previous program. Or an adaptation of the same source material (ballet, opera, stage play, film).
Or a tribute or homage to a previous program if there are a few obvious borrowings in mostly new work.
Or maybe that the new work was inspired by the previous one.
If there is no connection between the older and the newer work and no evidence that the current skater and choreographer were even aware of the previous program, I’d call it a coincidence. Or maybe influenced by a history of many skating programs to the same music, some of which may have been more directly based on the original than the current one.

Since when did we see a truly original skating program anymore? Especially under such COP system.

[FONT=&quot]Maybe that’s a good question for a different thread.[/FONT]

Let's face it 99% of all art are all remakes. You learn, you copy, you inherit, you interpret, you create... from old onto the new. it is still black white + colour of rainbows and everything in between.

Suzuki Birds LP ? Does it fit ?

noskates

Record Breaker
Do y'all think that Sui/Han's FS counts as a remake of S/Z's famous Turandot?

Yes. But as good as Sui/Han are - I think Shen and Zhao were better. More of a connection with each other and, for me, the presentation was better when the skaters didn't have to worry about doing things to earn points.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
For me, Michelle's East of Eden was my perfect program - whether it was an exhibition or an LP. I have sorely resented anyone else doing it. :noshake:

For you, not for me and all her programs never work for me though. Machida's East of Eden is a perfection to the music in my opinion which made me find his presence and fall in love with men's skating again that I previously sporadically followed.

- - - Updated - - -

Suzuki Birds LP ? Does it fit ?

The program might be in 1%. :luv17:

Procrastinator

On the Ice
If we're talking about tributes/allusions, Kim's Scheherazade seemed to be a Kwan tribute (probably the choreographer's doing)

lappo

Final Flight
If we're talking about tributes/allusions, Kim's Scheherazade seemed to be a Kwan tribute (probably the choreographer's doing)

And Marin Turandot takes some inspiration from Yuna's, red and gold costume included (DW is the choreographers for both).

shmay

On the Ice
I think there are quite a few programs that were choreographed and only performed once or very few times, and perhaps they could be revisited.

Lu Chen's sexy Take 5 SP comes to mind. But I'm not sure if any female singles skater today has that sort of sensuality. It might be better as a piece for ice dance.

I remember thinking Michelle Kwan's Bartok program might have worked better for a male skater