Miki Ando, the most talented skater in the world | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando, the most talented skater in the world

mzheng

Record Breaker
BravesSkateFan said:
Actually if I"m not mistaken Sasha finished 4th at her first Worlds as well....and IMO it doesn't matter where you finish at your first Worlds. Out of Sarah, Sasha, and Michelle, Michelle is the only one to win a World title, and she finished 8th at her first Worlds, lower than either Sarah or Sasha did at thier first Worlds.

Hey, I was comparing them with Ando to respond that 'Bored and Lonely'.

Nevertherless I agree with you it's not important what place the first worlds. :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Tristan said:
[Re.13 year-old Mao Asada] Mao is not even old enough to compete in Japanese Nationals...

Sorry, I'm a nut for getting facts straight ;) so I just had to jump in here to say that young Mao Asada has been allowed to compete at the last 2 senior nationals in Japan, and placed 7th and 8th, respectively. Her exciting FS in December 2002 was even broadcast in its entirety on Japanese TV (ABC even showed clips of her from it last season during a fluff piece on the rising Japanese ladies).

BTW, I've been following Miki Ando's career with interest since her first JGP season in 2001-02, and was privileged to watch her compete at the JGP in Montreal in Sept. 2002 where she landed 7 triples in her impressive, winning FS. Ando has grown quite a bit since I last saw her in person, and so having been able to maintain the consistency on her jumps through this challenging time seems to indicate that her technique is sound. I also believe that she has been improving in her overall skating as she has made the transition from junior to senior. I'm really looking forward to seeing her again at Skate America.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Tristan said:
People should give her a break. She is only 16. Americans keep trying to type her as just a jumping been, but she is extremely talented in other aspects of her skating as well. In addition to her flowing movement, speed, misicality, she's got the look. I do not remember Kwan being that sophisticated when she was Ando's age and Ando certainly looks more elegant than Sasha today.
Miki Ando placed 4th at the Worlds which was her very first international senior competition. That is an incredible accomplishment!
People should grow up and be kind to up and coming young talents. I do not see Americans being even slightly negative to Meissner or Kahl both of whom do not even compare to Miki Ando in every department.

Americans are supposed to have the depth in ladies' figure skating that is unmatched? But, who do you really have besides Michelle and Sasha? Kirk, Amber, Angela or Meissner who just got beaten by 13 year-old Mao Asada?
Mao is not even old enough to compete in Japanese Nationals, which is certainly the toughest competiton in the world. If those American ladies competed in Japan, they would't even make the top 10. Had Ota, Onda, Nakano and Asada competed at the Worlds (supposing that up to three skater rule did not exit), There would have been no American skaters among top 6 except maybe Sasha.

You should worry about the lack of talent in your own country instead of constantly underrating new comers in other countries. Keeping Japanese down do not grant an American skater a gold medal. The world of figure skating is not a battle in Iraq and Americans do not call all the shots, you know? Wake up and doubt your own judgement for a change! :D

I haven't been around for a while however, I do believe someone needs to get a grip here. This is skating it has nothing to do with the war at all. However, I will take it easy. By the sound of this post, It shows that with age Most( not all) gain wisdom. Talk about biased post :(

Back to the topic of skating. I agree that she is a wonderful skater. However, She is a great jumper with the potiential to become a great artistic skater also. However, right now she does not have the emtional depth. But, she is on her way of becoming a champion in the years to come.

I too hope that michelle will go in as an underdo to the next olympic. I think that she probably will. The olympics is still more than a year away & will the old lady of the group. She will be pushing 25 at the time.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Just a reminder...Kwan won the World Championships at the age of 15. She competed in her 1st Worlds at the age of 13 & placed 8th. At 14, she was 4th so Ando is a couple of years behind Michelle. I wish people would pay more attention to the facts before they come onto a board & begin casting aspersions towards any skater from any country. Ando has great potential as do several of the young Japanese skaters. Great depth in their ladies program.

qoo

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
Tristan:

Just a suggestion. Keep a Dictionary handy or use an on-line dictionary. I noticed a couple of spelling errors right off the bat!

I really don't appreciate "smart ***" comment of those who point out typos.

tukinowaguma

Rinkside
Surely she is talented. she started figure skating at the age of nine, did first triple jump at the age of 11 , and made 3-3 successful at the age of 12. The career of figure skating is still seven years. There is room of growth infinitely.

ks777

Record Breaker
Sylvia said:
Sorry, I'm a nut for getting facts straight ;) so I just had to jump in here to say that young Mao Asada has been allowed to compete at the last 2 senior nationals in Japan, and placed 7th and 8th, respectively. Her exciting FS in December 2002 was even broadcast in its entirety on Japanese TV (ABC even showed clips of her from it last season during a fluff piece on the rising Japanese ladies).

BTW, I've been following Miki Ando's career with interest since her first JGP season in 2001-02, and was privileged to watch her compete at the JGP in Montreal in Sept. 2002 where she landed 7 triples in her impressive, winning FS. Ando has grown quite a bit since I last saw her in person, and so having been able to maintain the consistency on her jumps through this challenging time seems to indicate that her technique is sound. I also believe that she has been improving in her overall skating as she has made the transition from junior to senior. I'm really looking forward to seeing her again at Skate America.

Yeah I been following Miki's carreer since she was 13yo as well. Yeah my favorite program of Miki's so far is her short program(2001/2002). Sylvia, Don't you think she was more elegant back then?? I think she reminded me of Kristi Yamaguchi at that time.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
>>>I agree that she is a wonderful skater. However, She is a great jumper with the potiential to become a great artistic skater also.<<<<

ITA!

IMO, Americans generally have a tendency to place presentation skills before jumps. Other people bring different points of view and that is a good thing. This is a big world, sport, and skating board. There's plenty of room for thoughtful and respectful disagreement. In fact, I've always found it to be very welcome on this board.

That said. You won't find many happy Americans here, when discussing our pairs. Personally, I cheer for S&Z and pray for our teams. There's hope for the future with our men skaters, yet none of them have put it all together. I give them my support. However, I won't be starting any threads saying Timmy or Johnny are the greatest or most. You won't see me argue that Timmy should have beaten Yags. :rolleye:

However, our ladies have given us a great deal to brag about. This doesn't make them perfect, but the talent should be obvious. Understand I don't care about who won what. I couldn't argue that Lipinski or Hughes were the best overall at anything but specific competitions. I care about the whole performance. I love good skating and our ladies have been giving the world a great many high quality skating performances over the decades. They have set the standard so high, the girls who don't make our teams are world calibre. I am not at all worried about finding talent. It's everywhere. :)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just adding my appreciation of Miki Ando as well! 👍

She's what has brought me back to the boards & watching skating again for this new season, b/c I know that she's a work in progress, and thus my excitement to see what new improvements she has made from season to season. And there have been improvements, incremental though they may be.

I don't know, I just find it exhilarating/exciting/invigorating to see & follow the progress of one that I've had my eye on since she first appeared on the scene at 2002 Jr. Worlds, skating so elegantly to Swan Lake, while landing a 3Z/3R in the process. And then the following year she lands a 4S at the very same event! Finally, she makes her senior debut at the 2004 Worlds, and lands two difficult triple-triples in the FS, thereby placing an impressive 4th place at her first Sr. Worlds. Just makes me wonder what more she has in store for us, and ya better believe she does have more. :cool:

***Note: not to forget her presentation, already I see improvement ~ speaking overall ~ in both her make-up, costume, elegant fingers, body movement, and just the way she flows across the ice. Her height & limbs in proportion to her body help. JMHO.***

Peace & Love, Nadine

:love:GOOOOOOOOO MIKI!!!:rock:

gezando

Final Flight
Nadine said:
Just adding my appreciation of Miki Ando as well! 👍

:love:GOOOOOOOOO MIKI!!!:rock:
I totally agree.
btw does any one know Ando's mailing address? When is her birthday.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Geez, just lost everything (needed to log in again), 🇳🇴 :scratch:

Anyhow, my original excitement has somewhat died down, but not all together!

Was just over on the SkateAmerica Forum, and discovered from a posting by Ladybug that Miki Ando skated to the song Miki!

The reason I am so excited is b/c this is the very song that I posted about on 4-15-04 in regards to Miki herself (no lie; in fact it was one of my very last posts on GoldenSkate until my return this past month). Here is that same post from long ago (copied & pasted btw; relevant part highlighted in red):

Golden Skate Forums > Office > Archives > 2003-04 Season
In Celebration of Phenomenal TECHNICAL Single Skaters! (;^D

04-15-2004, 08:04 PM #36
Nadine
Posts: 251 Love your posts, floskate (no lie), but needed to comment on this one in particular (please see below):

Quote:
Originally posted by floskate
Bronzeisgolden: ITA about Miki. I thinks she has done really well to hang onto her 3z/3l combo because she has done some major growing over the past 2 seasons. I just don't get why people dismiss her as a jumbing bean when clearly she has an adult body!! I also think that this is the reason her quad has gone AWOL this season. She last landed it at Japanese Nationals in December although IIRC someone posted that she did land some in practise at Dortmund. It remains to be seen if she can do this move consistently. If not I see a 3f/3l on the horizon!!

ME: right on! It is quite obvious to the naked eye that Miki Ando has the body of a woman (not a jumping bean), especially noticeable @ 2004 Jr. Worlds, when she was standing on the podium next to Kimmie Meissner & Katy Taylor (both of whom obviously haven't even begun the maturation process yet). In fact, Miki grew exactly 5" during the 2001/2002 season alone, and another 1" this past season (per her ISU bio). Thus, it appears to me that she is about done growing, if she hasn't already done so. This is why I'm fairly confident in her ability to land her arsenal of nuclear bomb jumps (aka 3Z/3R, 3T/3T, 4S) in the future.......hopefully the 'danger period' has past........we shall see.

As regards Miki's 3Z/3R, I think it is fairly safe to say that it is consistent b/c I have stats that state she has landed it at the following competitions in the FS (not taking into account the numerous times she has landed it in the SP btw) - 2002 Jr. Worlds, 2002 Canada JGP, 2002 China JGP, 2002 Sr. Nationals, 2003 Mexico JGP, 2003 JGPF, 2003 Jr. Nationals, 2004 Jr. Worlds, 2004 Sr. Worlds, 2004 Marshall's Mini Competition! However, I would say that her 4S is "getting there" (certainly not AWOL), as she has landed it at the following competitions in the FS - 2002 JGPF, 2003 Jr. Worlds (1-foot landing with 3turns/hops afterward), 2003 Jr. Nationals, 2003 Sr. Nationals, 2004 Marshall's Mini Competition. ***Note: astoundingly, my stats state she is getting even better after each competition (no lie) ~ e.g. 2003 Jr. Nationals was the first time she landed BOTH the 3Z/3R & 4S together in the FS ~ however, she outdid that @ her most recent competition (aka 2004 Marshall's) where for the first time she landed ALL of them together (aka 4S, 3Z/3R, 3T/3T)!!! ***

What's also great about both Miki and Shizuka is that both have disproved the theory that you have to be a prepubescent little girl to do the hard tricks! Midori's "children" sure are making their "Mom" proud!!!!!!

ME: again, right on! I'd also like to add Sarah Hughes, whom also had a mature adult body when she landed her 3/3s.

***Note: funny, all the time I think of Miki, that popular song from the 80's keeps playing over & over again in my head (no lie) - called "Miki" - and goes something like this oh Miki, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind, hey Miki! It was very popular when I was in h.s. - the cheerleaders even choreographed a number similar to the one in the video - remember it well b/c while this was going on during Assembly, I & my cronies snuck away (lol). ***

Some more worthy additions to the list are as follows:

Krizstina Czako (HUN) - hot diggity dang, could this woman ever JUMP! (8^O Will never forget her "Addams Family" FS @ Worlds. Wish she would've continued b/c I remember reading that she actually was able to land 3As in practice (no lie). However, it was my understanding that the pressure got to her, especially from her father (whom was also her coach; he actually competed w/Dick Button btw). Too bad, but the memories live on... :)^)

Yoshie Onda (JPN) - how can I ever forget Yoshie Bear! I've been so blinded by her countrywoman, Miki Ando, that I've overlooked the greatest jumper in Japan today (bar none). Now that's what you call a JUMP ~ nobody but nobody in Japan today attains the spring & height on the jumps like Yoshie does ~ truly a natural.

***Note: btw, floskate, though Nakano & Nelidina became only the 3rd & 4th women (respectively) to officially land the 3A in competition, I give HUGE props to Yoshie's @ 2002 Bofrost Cup on Ice - best dang one since Midori & Tonya IMHO - she literally attained an unbelievable amt. of height & spring on it (though 1/2 short of rotation, but landed)! Whereas the Asada sisters are massively underrotated, as well as weak & puny (haven't seen Sawada's, thus can't comment, but would love to as she has the perfect build for jumps IMHO).***

Julia Sebestyen - vaskula, you are dead on! This woman ties w/Yoshie Onda as the best pure & natural jumper skating today (bar none). The spring & height they attain is, once again, unbelievable (reminiscent of Michael Jordan; no lie). Truly a thing of beauty...

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. In honor of these wonderful athletically gifted skaters, I quote from Christina Aguilera's song "FIGHTER":

"'Cause it makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
It makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a F-I-G-H-T-E-R"