Pogorilaya ends season | Golden Skate

Pogorilaya ends season

lavoix

Match Penalty
I thought this topic deserved its own thread.

I loved Pogorilaya, however her most recent comments in Russian media about ending her season were very sad, heartbreaking, though not surprising: http://fs-gossips.com/anna-pogorilaya-the-season-is-over-for-me/

I will miss her this season, I hope this is not the end.

Now I just wonder, had she taken more time off during summer and skipped the GP series, would she be in a different position? We will never know.

I still hope to see her back.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
:(

Too bad that Anna even can't compete at Nationals because of the back injury. She is one of my favorite skaters in the current field who can deliver mature performances when she is on. I hope she recovers her health soon, so continues her skating next season in a better form.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Her Olympics chances are still not over.

As long as she is eligible and deem "clean" for the Olympics by the committee overseeing the acceptance to OAR team then she has a chance to be invited. Russia may not include her name in their 'preferred list" but that doesn't matter because there have been talks that the committee can invite who ever they want.

Question is if she can skate if she gets the invitation.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m feeling very sad for these news! Pogorilaya is one of my favourite lady skaters and I will miss her in this Olympic season and hope that for the next season she will come back with great success.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wrote it in the Anna FF, these are indeed sad news. The older she gets, the more injuries her body suffers, it's just in the nature of the sport, that her chances are diminishing by the minute. I'm not saying she is unable to compete again, but she was never a favourite of the judges or fed. I think she's probably the only female skater who does not have several people yelling 'overscored' when she competes. I can honestly say, that I can't look at her scores from last season, compare them to what the Ladies are scored like right now and not get mad about it all again. Anna is still young, still only 19, but this is a sport that favours even younger girls. The only chance for an older skater is high PCS and that is something that has to built up through the years, see Carolina Kostner. But Anna is Russian, and there is no time for that in that country. 19 years old, I loved her through the last 4 years and thought she would be perfect at the PC Olympics, I even saw her with the Gold medal. This sport is so heartbreaking.

Mostly I want her to do what makes her happy. If she competes again and even if she doesn't medal again, sort of like Leonova, I would be very happy. If she decides, this life is not for me, then that's okay, too. Personal Happiness is more important than putting herself through the torture that was this season again.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another tough break for Anna. :cry: May she heal completely & come back stronger next season!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How sad for Anna!

I hope she's able to heal from her back injury and can still compete if she wants to.

Good luck, Pogo!

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
:sad21:

Sadly, it was expectable. Apparently she has been unable to recover from the worlds setback so far, and the back injury certainly didn't help.

So let the season be over for her, as long as it is not the career. With the talent she has shown I think once fully recovered she can still compete on top level, even with the new wave of russian girls entering seniors. It all depends of what kind of support and assistance she will get from her environment. The back injury will likely be healable, but what about her self-confidence? I wish she could go to someone like Orser, he seems to know how to instill the right mindset into his skaters, and that's exactly what she needs now.

Best of wishes, Anna! Don't give up! :clap:

Gosh, and they called russian nats a bloodbath! It has not even begun yet and the season has already seen far too many victims for my taste.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Not a surprise, but very unfortunate.

Back injuries such as these can truly linger and will likely never heal fully. I hope she can eventually continue her career in at least some manner(At least ice shows).

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Wishing Anna the best on her recovery. Hope she returns next season stronger and ready to slay.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Now I just wonder, had she taken more time off during summer and skipped the GP series, would she be in a different position? We will never know.

It would have been very difficult for Anna to sit out the GP season and still remain a viable contender for the Russian team. The women there are so good and several have built an impressive resume of results even before Russian Nationals starts.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Awwww sooooo sad :sad21:. I hope each new day brings you closer to a full and speedy recovery Anna! Come out fighting next season!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Didn't Yulia retire at 20? Adelina also is at that age. Anna is getting kind of "long in the tooth" by Russian standards. I mean isn't Evgenia considered senior. Already Alina is getting pushed out the door slowly by up and coming juniors. how sad you are over the hill before you get out of highschool?!?!?! Sarcasm with some truth. i really found Anna far more interesting than Maria but life is cruel or rather skating is cruel. I hope she gets better but this sounds kind of Angelina Krylovaisq.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Didn't Yulia retire at 20? Adelina also is at that age. Anna is getting kind of "long in the tooth" by Russian standards. I mean isn't Evgenia considered senior. Already Alina is getting pushed out the door slowly by up and coming juniors. how sad you are over the hill before you get out of highschool?!?!?! Sarcasm with some truth. i really found Anna far more interesting than Maria but life is cruel or rather skating is cruel. I hope she gets better but this sounds kind of Angelina Krylovaisq.

It's a bit ironic but technically Evgenia Medvedeva is still eligible to take part in Junior events. Bradie Tennell is over 1 year older (born January '98 & Evgenia is from Nov. '99) but took part in Junior Worlds in 2017 year placing 7th. Tennell still feels like some brand, new up-and-comer while Anna Pogorilaya is also younger than her.

tars

Record Breaker
It's a bit ironic but technically Evgenia Medvedeva is still eligible to take part in Junior events. Bradie Tennell is over 1 year older (born January '98 & Evgenia is from Nov. '99) but took part in Junior Worlds in 2017 year placing 7th. Tennell still feels like some brand, new up-and-comer while Anna Pogorilaya is also younger than her.
wow:eek:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It must be sad to feel over the hill at 20.....I'm sad but, not shocked by this news. With all the young and talented skaters in Russia, it would have been hard for Pogo to make the team even when she was 100% healthy. When you add a back injury to the equation, it makes training basically impossible. It will be interesting to see if she decides to continue after the Olympics.....When she's on, she's great and in almost any other country she'd be a huge star. I wish her the best....

ask

Match Penalty
She needs a major overhaul, from technique to coaching situation. I think 2-3 years to rebuild and recuperate and she might challenge for a medal again.