TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't think it would be that big of a deal if skaters competed in athletic gear. If a skater is a compelling performer and/or athlete the costume doesn't matter that much anyway.

Besides athletic wear looks SO cool now. I totally want to steal these leggings from Mao Asada! https://www.instagram.com/p/BaWCK7ngahQ/?taken-by=maoasada2509 (Also did you guys know she just ran her first marathon?! In Hawaii? In 4:30? Not bad for a first-timer! https://www.instagram.com/p/BcjMMD1gNI8/?taken-by=maoasada2509)

I mean it certainly didn't stop Nathan Chen from winning GPF. It would be ironic if he actually fared less well wearing his Vera Wang-designed costume.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott Hamilton deliberately went with an athletic look for his gold-medal Olympics.

I remember from an interview that he said he didn't want to look back on his Olympics and see himself in some outlandish getup. Or words to that effect.

He wore jumpsuits that were sporty in a "Captain America" sort of way. You can tell they are 80's design, but they are also not cringe-worthy.

SkaterX

On the Ice
Ugh, no. I would not watch if everyone was wearing a uniform. Especially ice dance. The whole point of figure skating is that it combines sport with art. Take away the presentation and you lose a big chunk of what figure skating is. If you want to go the uniform route then just make it a jumping competition without music or artistic expression.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, I don't think it would be that big of a deal if skaters competed in athletic gear. If a skater is a compelling performer and/or athlete the costume doesn't matter that much anyway.

Besides athletic wear looks SO cool now. I totally want to steal these leggings from Mao Asada! https://www.instagram.com/p/BaWCK7ngahQ/?taken-by=maoasada2509 (Also did you guys know she just ran her first marathon?! In Hawaii? In 4:30? Not bad for a first-timer! https://www.instagram.com/p/BcjMMD1gNI8/?taken-by=maoasada2509)

I mean it certainly didn't stop Nathan Chen from winning GPF. It would be ironic if he actually fared less well wearing his Vera Wang-designed costume.

I did not know Mao was a marathoner! Epic achievement.

I really like the costumes Nathan has been wearing at his comps this season. I think they fit the mood of his programs and they seem to reflect his overall vibe much more than what he wore last year.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I was not happy to learn he'd gone to Vera Wang for his Olympic duds. I hope he doesn't come out with sequins and feathers. Ugh.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I think costumes matter a lot. It's easier to embody the music, particularly a thematic role, when you have the right outfit on, and it's easier for the audience to understand what you're trying to do. I actually like that figure skating is different to other sports because it is a bit of musical theatre.

That said, if you're a figure skater who doesn't care for costumes, you can just wear all-black. It's a thing now. Besides, gaudy costuming has been going away slowly but surely in the sport, apart from the Latin short dance where skaters want to look like they are doing ballroom dance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh, no. I would not watch if everyone was wearing a uniform. Especially ice dance. The whole point of figure skating is that it combines sport with art. Take away the presentation and you lose a big chunk of what figure skating is. If you want to go the uniform route then just make it a jumping competition without music or artistic expression.

Counterargument: If a costume is THAT important, then what we have is a fashion show on ice, and not an athletic event.

I'm not saying that skaters should have numbers on their backs and look like the Los Angeles Lakers on ice, but I wouldn't mind seeing the emphasis on costuming, hair, and makeup taken down a notch.

I've said it before: Peggy Fleming won the Olympics in a dress her mother made, and she could not have been more lovely or more iconic if Dior and Channel collaborated on her outfit.

SkaterX

On the Ice
Counterargument: If a costume is THAT important, then what we have is a fashion show on ice, and not an athletic event.

I'm not saying that skaters should have numbers on their backs and look like the Los Angeles Lakers on ice, but I wouldn't mind seeing the emphasis on costuming, hair, and makeup taken down a notch.

I've said it before: Peggy Fleming won the Olympics in a dress her mother made, and she could not have been more lovely or more iconic if Dior and Channel collaborated on her outfit.

The color of her dress was quite unusual for the time though. When I think of her the first thing I picture is the green dress. The point isn't about being flashy but about allowing individual expression.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Sounds like someone at ESPN had an assignment to write a story about the Olympics and they had to come up with something. ;)

Costume snark is essential to the health of the sport :biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
I wish there were more guidelines for costumes. Sometimes they're just OTT and I end up concentrating on them, wondering when there will be a slip, than the skating. The ladies seem to get racier and racier and it doesn't add to the program IMO. But I don't think I would like it if everyone wore the same thing. I agree about Nathan's dark blue pants and shirt - classy. I've always disliked Hanyu's "foo foo" costumes, especially the tight lavendar pants.

Haven't there been a few instances of points being deducted for costumes this season? Or did I imagine that?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Paul Lukas grew up next to a pond and loves to skate, although he does so with approximately zero artistry, personality or glamour.

This explains the author's stand on skating costumes/uniforms. He also doesn't play fair in his argument, quoting as support movie lines from an era of different way of judging as well as part of current judging criteria that represents probably less than 5% of total marks.

Think Salé/Pelletier's Love Story costumes that won an Olympic Gold Medal. Wait, maybe they had to fight and wait for that medal because of their plain attires? :think:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This explains the author's stand on skating costumes/uniforms. He also doesn't play fair in his argument, quoting as support movie lines from an era of different way of judging as well as part of current judging criteria that represents probably less than 5% of total marks.

Think Salé/Pelletier's Love Story costumes that won an Olympic Gold Medal. Wait, maybe they had to fight and wait for that medal because of their plain attires? :think:

These are not off-base observations.

Frankly, my first thought was "Is this I Tonya movie an ESPN production?"

But, still, I believe there are valid arguments in the piece.

And it's certainly a kick-starter for discussion during this lull before the big major national championships.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As advocated by this author, skating needs uniforms like other sports to be seriously considered real sport. I don't think we need even more nationalism with team and national uniforms at competitions.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish there were more guidelines for costumes. Sometimes they're just OTT and I end up concentrating on them, wondering when there will be a slip, than the skating. The ladies seem to get racier and racier and it doesn't add to the program IMO. But I don't think I would like it if everyone wore the same thing. I agree about Nathan's dark blue pants and shirt - classy. I've always disliked Hanyu's "foo foo" costumes, especially the tight lavendar pants.

Haven't there been a few instances of points being deducted for costumes this season? Or did I imagine that
?

The deeply sinister side of my imagination has a secret desire that the nationals judges in USA, Canada, Japan, and Russia conspire to hit competitors with costume deductions for being "overly theatrical or garish". They probably won't be enough to sway the outcomes in individual countries, but would be a sufficient signal not to show up at the Olympics in those outfits.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sounds like someone at ESPN had an assignment to write a story about the Olympics and they had to come up with something. ;)

Costume snark is essential to the health of the sport :biggrin:

Totally. Bad Taste Is A Reason For Living!

Someone else's bad taste that is...

:hap57:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is that the author’s proposal does not support his desired result.

As I read the article, he wants figure skating to look more “athletic”. Sigh. :yawn:All the uniforms in the world won’t bring those beer-swilling, insult-shouting Eagles fans, of which I am one — minus the beer— to figure skating. If one of the skaters donated an ACL to Carson Wentz, maybe....(I know, only two people are going to understand that, but still....;)

And we *had* uniforms for men, back in the day. Every single one skated in a fake tux. No feathers, or spangles or tights. The beer-swilling hordes did not follow....

Personally, I like the idea of “uniforms” because I think my favorite skaters would shine. Jason doesn’t need a costume to make that connection with the audience and to emphasize and underline that performance element. In short, I think uniforms would make performance skills more important, not less important.

Which is fine by me:)