ESPN: Figure Skating Needs Uniforms | Page 4 | Golden Skate

ESPN: Figure Skating Needs Uniforms

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think I could get on board with a "Color Scheme" but that's as far I could go. We need to keep in mind that what work's for a lyrical program would not work for "Tron".... I would also suggest that some programs would look better in white and blue with no red at all......While others might look best in predominantly solid color with accents of the others.

Also, who would design this "Uniform" There are so many different looks and body types in skating. Would the dance ladies, who tend be taller than the pair ladies have different uniforms? I guess you could separate them by discipline but, costuming is such a personal thing that I can't imagine you'd get the ladies to agree on a "Uniform"

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Please no uniforms! I would still watch, but it wouldnt be the same.

I do think those clown getups are horrid and a poor choice. Many people have clown phobias or plain dont like clowns. Kim Yunas Send ib the Clowns outfit was gorgeous though.

I dont think skaters should be docked for not wearing super fancy outfits, if that has ever been the case.

Nancys kerrigans beauty and the beast dress is one of my all time favs. Outfits help sell the story, like Lizas black outfits for gynt and carmina burana!

People, particularly men, wear the same clothes globally and the more prominent in politics and business they are, the more limited the choices of styles and colours.

Men love uniforms. If you are a businessman, you wear the standard businessman's uniform. And if you don't, then you will not get that promotion to assistant sales manager. (Me? I still have a tweed jacket with leather arm patches. But I stopped smoking a professorial briar pipe. :) )

Here, fo instance, is the 1970s golfers uniform. If you don't wear this, you will stand out on the inks as a non-conformist and weirdo. :yes:

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/m/mXeVQ2RrOvnJxcin2Vm5P-g/s-l225.jpg

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Men love uniforms. If you are a businessman, you wear the standard businessman's uniform. And if you don't, then you will not get that promotion to assistant sales manager. (Me? I still have a tweed jacket with leather arm patches. But I stopped smoking a professorial briar pipe. :) )

Here, fo instance, is the 1970s golfers uniform. If you don't wear this, you will stand out on the inks as a non-conformist and weirdo. :yes:

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/m/mXeVQ2RrOvnJxcin2Vm5P-g/s-l225.jpg

Yes, and I forget a class of brightly coloured attention grabbers who have disappeared since electronic online trading - the stock exchange floor traders, who were necessarily loud, both in voice and jacket colours.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think costumes matter a lot. It's easier to embody the music, particularly a thematic role, when you have the right outfit on, and it's easier for the audience to understand what you're trying to do. I actually like that figure skating is different to other sports because it is a bit of musical theatre.

That said, if you're a figure skater who doesn't care for costumes, you can just wear all-black. It's a thing now. Besides, gaudy costuming has been going away slowly but surely in the sport, apart from the Latin short dance where skaters want to look like they are doing ballroom dance.

And sometimes those 'all-blacks' are making program very memorable and effective beyond means used - first examples that popped up in mind was Virtue/Moir's Pink Floyd FD in 2008/09 season and their Worlds attire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vsQKRIP2M, black, streamlined costumes really showcased their body lines exquisitely and made that 'graphic', modern design of the dance; then, Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres last season with 'Sound of silence' FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhQR3FEnnA&t=550s, her catsuit was black, but it was EVERYTHING

lappo

Final Flight
And sometimes those 'all-blacks' are making program very memorable and effective beyond means used - first examples that popped up in mind was Virtue/Moir's Pin Floyd FD in 2008/09 season and their Worlds attire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vsQKRIP2M, black, streamlined costumes really showcased their body lines exquisitely and made that 'graphic', modern design of the dance; then, Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres last seasn with 'Sound of silence' FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhQR3FEnnA&t=550s, her catsuit was black, but it was EVERYTHING

I completely agree with you and think that, depending of course on the program, simplicity can be memorable against other more elaborate choice. I'm waiting to see what Vera Wang will come up for Nathan SP but, unlike others, I thought that his simple clothing was really effective and went well with the modern music.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I completely agree with you and think that, depending of course on the program, simplicity can be memorable against other more elaborate choice. I'm waiting to see what Vera Wang will come up for Nathan SP but, unlike others, I thought that his simple clothing was really effective and went well with the modern music.

I agree on Nathan's point raised, too. I'd rather see him fully focuses on his performance and program, not on the costume and if he has some issues/insecurities with it. And for me, the most important thing is that he seems to feel good and comfortable in his costumes. And saw his photo with Vera Wang and Evan - I'll wait with excitement about this collab, because I consider Evan's 'Scheherezade' costume from Vancouver Olympics one of the greatest black costumes ever, it was so intricately made and effortlessly impactful.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think there is one piece of men's garment that is non functional and very uncomfortable that is nonetheless retained by the most stoic and formal of men because it allows for the instinctual love of colours, patterns, and drama as part of the otherwise most conforming and restrictive uniform worn by men to be professional, credible, and authoritative. I'm talking about the necktie.

azcalder

Rinkside
When I turned on my television Thursday night to check out the Broncos/Colts football game, I just laughed. Both teams were running around in bright colored orange and blue skin-tight uniforms that made them look like Ninjas. That's what athleticism looks like in 2017. Knute Rockne must be rocking in his grave!!!

Sam L

Medalist
And sometimes those 'all-blacks' are making program very memorable and effective beyond means used - first examples that popped up in mind was Virtue/Moir's Pink Floyd FD in 2008/09 season and their Worlds attire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vsQKRIP2M, black, streamlined costumes really showcased their body lines exquisitely and made that 'graphic', modern design of the dance; then, Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres last season with 'Sound of silence' FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhQR3FEnnA&t=550s, her catsuit was black, but it was EVERYTHING

Yeah Vanessa Morgan costume for that program was awesome.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You completely missed my point.

I probably did, all I'm saying is ESPN really doesn't report on sports. They report on money. That's why you see ridiculous things like Poker being covered by a "sports" network.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I totally agree with you. I made this point earlier, but it's worth saying again.

I mean, who can watch Nemesis and think, "What this program really needs is an elaborate Vegas Strip costume with glitter all over it! Or maybe some fussy ruffles cascading down the front! "

I suppose the FS costume might be reworked to include some nod of reference to China - but I really like it the way it is. When he's not doing jumps, you can see that the program has advanced with some subtlety and nuance, and a Chinese Emperor Halloween getup is going to distract from those beautiful moments.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
because I consider Evan's 'Scheherezade' costume from Vancouver Olympics one of the greatest black costumes ever, it was so intricately made and effortlessly impactful.

You mean that awful black thing with the glittery snakes?! :slink:

lappo

Final Flight
I totally agree with you. I made this point earlier, but it's worth saying again.

I mean, who can watch Nemesis and think, "What this program really needs is an elaborate Vegas Strip costume with glitter all over it! Or maybe some fussy ruffles cascading down the front! "

I suppose the FS costume might be reworked to include some nod of reference to China - but I really like it the way it is. When he's not doing jumps, you can see that the program has advanced with some subtlety and nuance, and a Chinese Emperor Halloween getup is going to distract from those beautiful moments.

When he debuted at US Classic he used the red shirt for Nemesis and the blue for the LP and I wished he could swap them, since red is the Chinese color of luck and it could have worked as a reference. Then he swapped to the black SP/ blue LP version, which is ok by me, I would have just added a nod to China by making the shirt with the Chinese collar and buttons (don't know how to explain them in English...) and keep everything very minimal. And, as someone already said, make better sleeves that make the arms gestures more visible. As for the overall minimal look, I think it really suits the program, especially Nemesis and really like it. Modern programs work better with minimalistic approach, I really liked also Javier Black Betty.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Honestly when it comes down to it I agree about the costumes (for competitions, anyway) - are they *REALLY* needed for the task at hand? That said, I'm not sure if uniforms as he describes would be ideal (it COULD work, though). Seems like warmup/practice gear could suffice? Or like athletic wear.

The skaters and skating community at large can go ahead and attack this guy, and the idea if it wishes, but IMHO he's got a point. Why not try something different, anyway? :confused2:

Wasn't there a proposal to break things down into a "technical" program and an "artistic" program?