Originality | Golden Skate

Originality

gkelly

Record Breaker
What are some examples of originality or innovation in competitive skating performances?

Either at the level of individual new moves, or new variations or new ways of combining existing moves

Or at the level of program concept or program construction

Or...?

Does using a rare move/variation or an old-fashioned one that hasn't been common for decades count?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Towards the end of her free program, Bradie Tennell does a death drop into a sit spin variation, rather than the standard back sit spin.

I had never seen this until her Skate America performance, and it made a routine skating move innovative and interesting.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Anissina&Peizerat reverse lift, Bourne&Kraatz hydroblading, Delobel&Schoenfelder balance lift, Stepanova&Bukin sit twizzles, Myahara spin in both directon, Zagitova jump by jump sequence, Medvedeva 3-3-3 combo, Bonaly backflip
some transitions as part of the jump or other required elements - if its making the whole element looks different ...
usage of specific music rythms,costumes, acting and skater voices during the programme... idea to make SP and FP programmes connectable (as Zhiganshina/Gazsi 2014 and Mao)...
this whole programme i found original based on the music, usage of dress in the spin and some specific movements https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJFgyzmaAM
also i found some Averbukh concepts original (with mimicking - so its not for everyone ;) )... this is one of his earlier work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHFCo5pzJFw
...editing...
pairs programme - S&K 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZKsr_jwq4
ice dance programme - G&P 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHMDIFL1so and 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHMDIFL1so

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^
Don't Wagner and Bell do something similar??

Not that I've noticed. Not that particular variation, anyway.

Shown beginning about 3:45 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAwlTpvSxXY

Edit: I've not watched a lot of ladies figure skating lately, particularly not lower-ranked skaters, so perhaps this variation is quite common, and I've just noticed it. Bradie does a great job with it anyway.

lappo

Final Flight
I agree with Carolina Kostner SP last year. I would also add Yuna Kim Homage to Korea and Yuzuru Seimei for the interesting music choice and beautiful choreo, both homages to their countries and cultures.
Also, not very original in terms of music choice, but I found Giada Russo Red Violin LP quite original in terms of choreography (her SP this year is quite similar to that program but with a more unusual music).
Costume changes in competitive programs such as last year Lecavalier LP (it has been done before but I still liked it as it's not super frequent in competitions).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with Carolina Kostner SP last year. I would also add Yuna Kim Homage to Korea and Yuzuru Seimei for the interesting music choice and beautiful choreo, both homages to their countries and cultures.

Casting no shade on any of these skaters or their performances, but I'd like to know what you found original or innovative about them. Homage to one's own country, while in no way disagreeable to me, doesn't seem original.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, this is going to be pushing it a bit too much, I know, I know.

But. This.
https://youtu.be/U3WXYFcS2Gw

Now, that's originality.

Gary Beacom is one my favorite lesser-known skaters from a by-gone era. He had a quirky personality that came across on the ice very clearly.

He also did a 2Lo-2Lo-2Lo-2Lo-2Lo- etc etc combination that was fun.

He was a good, not marvelous, eligible skater who really shined as a professional.

lappo

Final Flight
In the very words of Yuna Kim:
Q: Last season, you mixed in motifs from Korean traditional music to your long program "Homage to Korea." Was that a bit of risk?
YK: Yes, because to non-Asians, Chinese, Japanese and Korean music could easily sound the same. I was really concerned about how to express "Korea." I don't think it can be done in any one motion or gesture or song, so I tried to focus on my own emotions. In the end, I think the program was very modern, despite its use of traditional music.

Q: Clearly, Korean fans adored it. How well was it received by the international judges and audience?
YK: The choreographer [David Wilson] had suggested doing a Korean program several times, but I had always declined because I was worried about the global reception. But after the Olympics and the gold medal, I wanted to do something for the Korean fans who have given me so much attention and support. It was a present to them. Honestly, I don't think it spoke to the international judges as effectively"

If you notice, is way more popular and easy for figure skaters to go for an "Asian program through the eyes of Western culture" (Miss Saigon, Turandot etc..) because they are well known and received warhorses. It is rarer that a skater goes for a piece of music that the rest of the world doesn't know. Personally, I loved this program and I really would love to see more skaters choosing music from their own culture as I find it quite enriching.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Most of Jeremy Abbott's competitive programs. And even more so now that he's a pro.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the very words of Yuna Kim:
Q: Last season, you mixed in motifs from Korean traditional music to your long program "Homage to Korea." Was that a bit of risk?
YK: Yes, because to non-Asians, Chinese, Japanese and Korean music could easily sound the same. I was really concerned about how to express "Korea." I don't think it can be done in any one motion or gesture or song, so I tried to focus on my own emotions. In the end, I think the program was very modern, despite its use of traditional music.

Q: Clearly, Korean fans adored it. How well was it received by the international judges and audience?
YK: The choreographer [David Wilson] had suggested doing a Korean program several times, but I had always declined because I was worried about the global reception. But after the Olympics and the gold medal, I wanted to do something for the Korean fans who have given me so much attention and support. It was a present to them. Honestly, I don't think it spoke to the international judges as effectively"

If you notice, is way more popular and easy for figure skaters to go for an "Asian program through the eyes of Western culture" (Miss Saigon, Turandot etc..) because they are well known and received warhorses. It is rarer that a skater goes for a piece of music that the rest of the world doesn't know. Personally, I loved this program and I really would love to see more skaters choosing music from their own culture as I find it quite enriching.

Thank you for expanding on your original reply. It makes more sense that you would choose this now.

I was impressed with Virtue and Moir's take on Carmen. This music has been used a thousands times, but they found an original angle.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks.

The leaning back while skating forward (around 0:30 and 1:45) is also pretty unusual.

Oh, I think so, too. I haven't seen that before. Not that I can remember, anyway.