IOC circulate "reasoned" verdicts | Page 3 | Golden Skate

IOC circulate "reasoned" verdicts

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good grief Karne is at this again?!! Aren't you tired of this?? You are more obsessed about this than any Yuna fan I know.

I wasn't even the one who brought it up and I certainly wasn't the one who started slinging mud, but yeah, sure, I'm at it again. Whatever.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Absolutely!!! And another truth- Yuna made a made a big mistake in how she ended her association with Brian Orser.

I can not say enough how much I agree with this comment!! It shouldn't have mattered but, the way that situation went down did not sit well with MANY people in skating. I don't just mean the fans. It was talked about by commentators, coaches, and was even on the news a couple of times. Yuna was always a rock but, even when she won that world title following their split, she just wasn't the same skater. It seemed that she was skating out of an obligation to get spots for Korea and she was certainly successful in doing so. That's why I have so much respect for her come back to the sport. She was already rich and famous before Sochi ever came around.

I have no doubt how history will judge how everything went down there, for who's benefit and purpose... As for figure skating, the result will continue to be controversial in the years to come, beyond our lifetime.

I disagree. "History" will soon lose interest, if it had any in the first place. "History" will care no more about this result than it does about whether Cecilia Colledge was robbed by Sonja Henie at the 1936 Olympics.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I disagree. "History" will soon lose interest, if it had any in the first place. "History" will care no more about this result than it does about whether Cecilia Colledge was robbed by Sonja Henie at the 1936 Olympics.

Are all history equal? :confused2: In your history perhaps, but not in my herstory, or in many's their story ;) How soon is 'soon' anyway?

Did the robbing of Cecilia College ensued by live air disagreement among the international press, widely disconcerting voice in multiple time zones, continents, among the figure skating community with millions signing petitions with immediate effect worldwide? I had only wish Mao had aced her short so the slanted judging can be even more blatant with a 3t3t short program beating everybody.

The good thing about the digital age is that with social media, diversity, freedom of the press, means wider representation regardless of today's global media-saturated world. Voices and opinions in multiple languages can have bigger rippling impact and immediate effect beyond the dominant lingua franca. Polarisation of opinions are more immediately felt and represented. Digital footprint rarely truly dies. 'Histories' are no longer dictated by the political ruling party, party-line historians or even mainstream journalists. Social media is more powerful than ever, be it the good, the bad and the ugly. Sure... history will eventually lose interest just like trends can go in and out of fashion, but there are always good reasons why some work will always be revered, revisited, why there are revivals, and why there will always be great appreciation and value placed on vintage and the antiquity. Great unique work never really truly dies as long as people continue to recognise and appreciate them.

That's why for me, the program is very important. Perhaps even more than the skaters and choreographer or their choice of music and packaging. It is about what are they trying to do, what vision they are they aiming for, why they are doing it. It is what makes art valuable. Why a Picasso that looks like can be painted by a 3-year-old can be of such value. It is their process, their journey, their concept, their vision, their contextual approach: self-awareness, originality, authenticity, artistic progression are a huge part of it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good grief ... at this again?!! Aren't you tired of this?? You are more obsessed about this than ......

Good grief ... What was that you were saying?

Something about someone being more obsessed than someone else?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Did the robbing of Cecilia College ensued by live air disagreement among the international press, widely disconcerting voice in multiple time zones, continents, among the figure skating community with millions signing petitions with immediate effect worldwide?

I think what MM might be getting at is that, in the grand scheme in human history, one controversial result in a figure skating event isn't going to be some people revisit years from now.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think what MM might be getting at is that, in the grand scheme in human history, one controversial result in a figure skating event isn't going to be some people revisit years from now.

Well in the grand scheme of things in human history, why is sport important, why is the Olympics movement important? What is its purpose? Why bother watching? We can all continue to mouth wash and rince, but it doesn't mean decay is going to go away. To answer ice coverage... it is Olympics season, the topic is Sochi, what do you expect me to say? lol... get real...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...To answer ice coverage... it is Olympics season, the topic is Sochi, what do you expect me to say? lol... get real...

Getting "real" :laugh::

If you insist on discussing your strong feelings re 2014 in this thread, how about asking your own questions of yourself: You're "at this again?" "Aren't you tired of this?"

IMO, it's silly to accuse someone else of being obsessed -- when the accuser herself (or himself) is obsessed. YMMV.​

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So it’s a good thing that there is no evidence linking Adelina to Rodchenkov’s scheme. I don’t think anyone every really expected that she was doping but when the head of one of the largest and most influential anti-doping agencies is using her name to push for the entire country to be banned it’s nice to see the IOC address it publicly.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Getting "real" :laugh::

If you insist on discussing your strong feelings re 2014 in this thread, how about asking your own questions of yourself: You're "at this again?" "Aren't you tired of this?"

IMO, it's silly to accuse someone else of being obsessed -- when the accuser herself (or himself) is obsessed. YMMV.​

Well.. if you insist on accusing me being obsessed with disagreeing with some people's obsession flaunting and normalising the controversial results, then I am certainly guilty AND silly as charged. :biggrin:

Will you offer me
A) a slap on the wrist like Lakernik did to his Russian friendly 'colleagues' and then immediately reinstate them judge the sport again to suit their agenda?
B) a slap on the wrist like IOC are finally pressured doing to Russia Olympics committee and then immediately offer to pay for all their athletes expense to compete?

I am curious how this will all turn out reasonably well/sane by PC but it seems these days insanity is the new normal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well.. if you insist on accusing me being obsessed with disagreeing with some people's obsession flaunting and normalising the controversial results, then I am certainly guilty AND silly as charged.

No one is flaunting or normalizing anything. We have each formed our own opinion on the result, expressed why we think it was right or wrong, and moved on. At this point, no one is changing their mind about the correctness of the outcome.

I agree with Sam-Skwantch that the IOC probably had to provide a reasoned verdict on the Adelina case, given that information about the scratched test sample was released and there were legitimate questions on what that meant. It would have been interesting to hear about how common scratched test sample containers are. Is it uncommon, or is it somewhat common and the reason it was looked into was because all of the Russian samples received extra scrutiny due to the doping scandal?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Actually, Adelina's win was precisely a function of a figure skating tradition: geographic block voting. The panels were mostly Eastern European, and resulted in overinflated PCS scores by 2-3 points. That said, Adelina would probably have won or come close to winning even with a "neutral" panel. Her GOEs were all spot on and made the difference over a sluggish Yuna.

So, In the sport of figure skating, A new girl with no senior titles who throughout the season
has built no momentum and scored the equivalent PCS to Ashley Wagner for a clean FS in the GP
enters the Olympics and competes with three World Champions of late, Beloved skaters all around,
All having great performances in the FS, And they can't hold a candle to her,
She gets more +3 than all three of them combined (!) and ties for the highest PCS score,
And all that treatment not for just any random surprise skater, but specifically a home girl
(the one who stayed on her feet), And you're washing it off with "Sluggish Yuna"?

Adeline's skates were a great triumph for her and no one will take that away from her,
But the judging in that event was offensive to athletes and fans imo

EDIT: Don't worry guys, Maybe by next Olympics we'll stop talking about this :laugh: