Medvedeva Withdraws from Russian Nationals | Golden Skate

Medvedeva Withdraws from Russian Nationals

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/yevgenia-medvedeva-miss-russia-figure-skating-championships

Evgenia Medvedeva has withdrawn from Russian Nationals due to her foot injury. Apparently, she insisted on competing until officials had to persuade her not to. Her European, World, and Olympic spots are not in jeopardy, according to officials.

I'm glad she made this decision. It seems much safer than her previous one plus gives her an extra month to heal and train.

Does this mean that they can replace her spot with Sonya Istomina, who qualified but was passed over for Alisa Fedichkina? Or is it too late to make a replacement for Zhenya?

I hope you heal soon, Zhenya :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Evgenia Medvedeva has withdrawn from Russian Nationals due to her foot injury. Apparently, she insisted on competing until officials had to persuade her not to. Her European, World, and Olympic spots are not in jeopardy, according to officials.

I'm glad she made this decision. It seems much safer than her previous one plus gives her an extra month to heal and train.

Does this mean that they can replace her spot with Sonya Istomina, who qualified but was passed over for Alisa Fedichkina? Or is it too late to make a replacement for Zhenya?

I hope you heal soon, Zhenya :love:
Istomina herself isn't sure, it's too close.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This is suprising. I thought I saw a video of her training on the ice yesterday and her jumps looked pretty good. Well, Nationals or not, she will go to Europeans, which is more important!

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
This is suprising. I thought I saw a video of her training on the ice yesterday and her jumps looked pretty good. Well, Nationals or not, she will go to Europeans, which is more important!

I saw that video as well... :scratch2:I am surprise when the the news come out.
As world ranking No. 1, she sure have no problem going anywhere without National. Heal well and come back strong :hap10:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
It's so surreal the top male and female skaters in the sport right now
are both going through exactly the same predicament

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
For the love of skating (and life) smart decision. You would think having her go to Euros and the olympics would be a huge challenge with her injury. I am not surprised and said all along if she had any hope she had to skip nationals for her own good/health.

Heal well Evgenia and show the haters you have what it takes. when you think about Russian Nats- no Adelina, no Evgenia, no Yulia, no Anna and they still have a blood bath where poor Leonova is not even thought of.

what it takes to fight back.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
smart decision. Probably she is healthy but they don't want to risk. She is in the Russian team without RN.

whatif

Medalist
I don’t think we will see her this season competing. Again it was nice knowing you, Eugenia. Your anti fans will be bored now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is no big deal...Just like Hanyu, she's a 2 time and defending National and World Champion and there's no way that she won't be going to Korea if she's healthy. This might help my Leonova move up a spot at Nationals and get a chance to go Europeans which would be a great finally to her long career. What is Tuk's ranking in Russia? Is she expected to make the team. There are so many great skaters in Russia that it's hard to keep track.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
mrrice - Medvedeva is expected to go to the Europeans. I doubt that Leonova has much hope. I don't know if you were watching the GPs and GP Final, but Sotskova got silver at both of her GPs, and also at the Final. She is expected to get the third spot at Europeans and Olympics. And, even if Medvedeva won't go to Europeans, there are also skaters like Tsurskaya, Radionova, Konstantinova and others who can and will beat Leonova if they are clean or almost clean.

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice - Medvedeva is expected to go to the Europeans. I doubt that Leonova has much hope. I don't know if you were watching the GPs and GP Final, but Sotskova got silver at both of her GPs, and also at the Final. She is expected to get the third spot at Europeans and Olympics. And, even if Medvedeva won't go to Europeans, there are also skaters like Tsurskaya, Radionova, Konstantinova and others who can and will beat Leonova if they are clean or almost clean.

I know....I just want her to have one last hurrah......Even if she doesn't make the team, I hope she skates great. I remember when Ryan Bradly got 4th in 2010. He missed the team by 1 spot but, he skated really well and I was happy for him. I just hope Alena leaves the sport happy because she's been at it for such a long, long time.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
I don’t think we will see her this season competing. Again it was nice knowing you, Eugenia. Your anti fans will be bored now.

I realize that you always post such things. Bravo to you, you raise the term “doom and gloom” to a whole new level. :sarcasm:

Anyways, I believe this is a good decision. Now she’ll have plenty of time to truly prepare for Euros. :thumbsup:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Your poorly-concealed hopes shine through.

I'm glad she's taking things seriously. There is no point in competing at Nationals if that makes it worse. Heal up Evgenia and then slayyyyyyyy the Olympics.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Correction #1: she's already competed this season. Won 2 GP golds.

Correction #2: her name is Evgenia.

Hopefully she recovers in time for the Olympics!