2017-2018 Japan Nationals Ice Dance (SD/FD) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japan Nationals Ice Dance (SD/FD)

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
Overjoyed for those who made the team; devastated for those who didn't.

Walt FSHunter

Final Flight
Country
Ukraine
Aren't they going to upload any videos of ice dance and pairs? It's really sad. Last year we could watch the programs of the medalists.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I can´t believe that ice dance is so neglected in Japan :cry:
Me too, especially having a star Kana is... Misato with Tim are also very enjoyable to watch for me, in general Japanese and Chinese teams are very interesting and thrilling for me to watch, because of the enthusiasm they have for the discipline. Looking forward to see some videos.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Kana and Chris' FD blew me away :love:!

There is this rare quality about this program of being so rich, balanced and varying inside of this lyrical, modern aesthetic - it evolves, reflects so well on rhythmical/tempo changes, the movement is designed to matched those changes so well, in a very intricate, sensible manner, maching sakura theme perfectly.

The program builds and grows like sakura tree - there is such understated impact of it, this sense of polish and sophistication about it that feels natural and unforced. Every element of the whole picture seems so fitting, from costumes, Kana's make-up, through head/arm gestures, to care and thought radiating from choreography and execution of it.

From technical standpoint, I'm in love with the flow of their lifts, first two in particular - love Chris' strenght and control and Kana's movement finish. One of very few teams now that makes lifts looking effortless, light and going with the music, additional value they achieved for me is that they seemed to match changes of tempo in music in their lifts as for positions' changes (stationary lift illustrates it in particular for me).

And the emotion... They are so expressive and engaged. I loved how it was visible during elements even - second step sequence was an example.

itsakurinut

Rinkside
I watched both the SD and the FD live and I think it is such a shame that Japanese media neglects Ice Dance and Pairs! Everyone competing in these disciplines all had a fire in them... especially the ice dancers. I especially enjoyed watching all the short and free dances from every one of them. I think Kana and Chris have grown the most since last season. I watched Tateno and Fukase back during Dreams on Ice in the Offseason and really loved the way they expressed themselves on the ice... and I am so happy they didn't lose any bit of it by Nationals. It was my first time watching Komatsubara/Koleto too, and I think they really have the potential to raise Ice Dance up in the country together with Kana and Chris.

I can't throw in anything about technical mastery because I'm still honestly new to watching Ice Dance, but Japanese Ice Dancers and Pairs teams have a very special place in my heart.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We do have Japanese ice dance fans here, particularly of Chris & Kana.
Their SD is particularly good this season, with some real Latin feel in it. I wish their Japanese Nationals SD had been broadcast.

Here's their Fan Fest :love:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?58834

We could use a Fan fest for other Japanese dance teams! ...just hinting.

Last edited:

itsakurinut

Rinkside
We could use a Fan fest for other Japanese dance teams! ...just hinting.

I'm really really tempted to start one for Komatsubara/Koleto!! But I'm not very active on GS in the first place :sad21:
But I'd really love to see more love for Japanese Ice Dance. I did notice too that the line-up of Ice Dancers between the 2016-17 and 2017-18 Nationals were very different!! Muramoto/Reed and Komatsubara/Koleto aside, there's no one else from 2016-17 who showed up in this season's competition. Orihara/Mori and Fukase/Tateno are fresh from Juniors. Iida/Ishibashi are probably a new team (I can't find any information on them). Hirai/De La Asuncion, Mori/Suzuki, and possibly Takahashi/Okuda have retired? It's pretty sad, in my opinion. I really hope the teams fresh from Juniors are inspired to keep on improving not just for themselves, but also for the state of ice dance in Japan.